Right, here's the deal:
I can get my hands on quite a bulk of these NOS babies, can I put hem to any use? Build a small (class A) power amp with them perhaps?

Here's a data sheet:
http://www.classiccmp.org/rtellason/tubedata/3D6.pdf

This is probably too specific for the ultimate tube thread, but if a mod thinks otherwise then let him/her remove this thread.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ba-bump, anyone?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
it looks like more trouble than it's worth.
- the 1.4 / 2.8 volt heaters will give you fits trying to find a transformer, so you'll be stuck with doing DC heaters and a regulated supply. not necessarily bad, but it will be more complicated.
- the socket required is rare. good luck trying to find them at a decent price.
unless they're free, i wouldn't bother.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well if you're into tube amp building, it could be interesting

I wouldn't do this as a first build however, as you would need some funky wiring on the heaters (i would use 2 tubes wired for the 2.8v heaters wored in series (the voltage on each filimant section, which is within spec) but i cant see appropriate transformers being easy to come by

But in the end, its up to you, and if you want to take a chance
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
well, you would probably want to throw the heaters in series, and probably use them in a higher voltage, maybe 150 volts, which is on the high side according to the data sheet. finding a proper output transformer could be challenging, you would need a 14Kohm to 8 or 16 ohm transformer, which doesn't ring out as a standard size to me.

you'll want to run maybe 6-8 of these in parallel to get your power output up as they don't seem to pack much punch, and that's going to change what load the tube wants accordingly. finding a power tranny isnt going to be a big deal, because you just need something that is close and regulate it to what you need. 200v isn't too hard to come by.

the heater supply might be a pain, if you run a quad of them in series you can get to 6v, or close to it, but i dont remember if that's acceptable to do or not. (can someone clarify this?)

the biggest challenge is going to be finding tube sockets, you might end up making your own, which could be a challenge, you would need to have a material (probably plastic) that could stand up to the heat, and insulate properly, and be strong at a range of temps. if you talk to a plastic supply place they might have someone who can hook you up.

you would need a material that could stand up to probably 400 degrees constantly. so with said material, you would need to make a pattern with the existing octal base and drill holes accordingly, then come up with some connectors, which are probably a standard part. i would buy a standard 6v6 socket to model yours off of.

in all, if you can get a ton of these tubes for free or cheap, do it, it would be worth the effort and you would end up with a product that would sound completely unique. making tube sockets is a rarity, but not unheard of, and definitely doable. plus you have UG on your side.
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
It all feels so tempting, I'd love to have a small home-cooked tube amp with some whacky power tubes but yes, finding the sockets/tranny etc. is pretty hard over here. Won't be so cheap either I guess.

Besides, it would be my first tube build (I've built some pedals before though) so I think it would be better if I just forget about it, although the GAS is killing me

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Tackleberry
Now you know why the tubes are cheap.

Yeah, but in that shop most tubes are cheap. Too bad they don't sell matched pairs of power tubes actually.
By the by, they have loads and loads of NOS electronics stuff, not just tubes. I got some germanium AC127s for €1,- a pop there as well. As far as I know the only place in NL where you can buy those

They have lots of NOS and used vintage pre amp tubes as well: Philips, RCA, Sylvania, military dump..

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣