Page 1 of 2
I just came back from being dragged to see the Philadelphia Orchestra today.

I have to say that it was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Now I'm considering playing the violin.I've been playing guitar for a little over two years now, and piano five years before that.

The question is: is it worth it? I mean, guitar and violin are similar in some ways.

And I don't think this thread should be moved to the instrument thread,since there's nothing on classical instruments.
Do It.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
I love the violin. I'm gettin one as soon as I can afford one to try and learn it.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Guitar and violin are similiar in no ways.

If you're going to do it, prepare to spend a lot of money.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Are you kidding, I kick myself everyday for not learning violin instead of guitar, it's like the coolest sounding instrument.
Quote by rabidguitarist

How come? Care to explain? 'Cause I am thinking of getting a Violin.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

I can think of one similiarity between violin and guitar, which is, they both have strings. Help me out here?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Guitar and violin are pretty similar in some ways - speaking as a violinist who recently took up guitar

left hand on a violin does pretty much the same as your fretting hand on a guitar, except you don't have the benefit of frets so you have to put your finger in the right spot - but you can cheat when you're learning and stick spots on your fingerboard to show where your fingers go in 1st position.

Right hand (picking/bowing hand) bears no resemblance whatsoever to guitar - my picking is dire compared to my fretting hand :/

Bear in mind that any beginner violinist sounds like they are torturing a cat...it won't sound nice for quite a while! And I would DEFINITELY get a teacher, at least until you know the basics - if you're not holding it right or don't have a good left hand position you have no chance!

Good luck

EDIT: To start you only need a cheap and nasty chinese violin, which you can probably get 2nd hand for £30-ish. Its a waste getting a decent instrument to start with as it will sounds awful whatever you are playing lol!
Quote by Oblivion_Rps

He may have been referring to the cost of lessons (claiming it's nearly impossible to self-teach), or that the only workable violins cost thousands...

My friend picked up a fair priced electric violin and self teaches himself. He's not bad, given the length of time he's owned the thing, and he's improving noticeably, without taking lessons.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
violin and guitar have completely different postures. if you play one, your better off not playing the other, or you'll suck at both
Play the cello - it's way cooler.
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

Quote by rabidguitarist
I can think of one similiarity between violin and guitar, which is, they both have strings. Help me out here?

I was asking 'bout the price.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was asking 'bout the price.

My violin was £800 and my bow was £100. It's an alright instrument, and the bow isn't very good at all.

It's impossible to teach yourself violin, so you'll have to get lessons, and a lot of them.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
My violin was £800 and my bow was £100. It's an alright instrument, and the bow isn't very good at all.

It's impossible to teach yourself violin, so you'll have to get lessons, and a lot of them.

Violins aren't so cool any more...
You can get a cheapy 2nd hand chinese thing for about £30....it'll sound like you're strangling a cat for a few months anyway so it doesn't matter if its a cheapy violin
Quote by rabidguitarist

Damn..

I'll stick to guitar.
Carmel is hawt
I would suggest focusing on one instrument, maybe two, if you're really curious. Trying to be a jack of all trades and attempting to learn three or more instruments means you won't be very good with any of them.
Quote by rabidguitarist

wrong, they both have strings and the strings vibrate to produce the sound.
Quote by Mad Marius
I would suggest focusing on one instrument, maybe two, if you're really curious. Trying to be a jack of all trades and attempting to learn three or more instruments means you won't be very good with any of them.

I disagree, so long as he has proper instruction he can do just great.

I've never met a professional musician that cannot play more than one instrument
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

If you have time then yes! Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom played violin before he started playing guitar, and he's quite a good guitarist.

And it's also good because the violin can influence your guitar playing.
Violin demands massive amounts of practice on tone and intonation. You are going to sound like **** the first one or two years. If you start too late i your life you will never develop the extremely precise mechanics in your fingers that is needed for playing on higher levels. (there have been studies on this)
You will sound better as an intermediate electric guitarist than an intermediate violinist.
Think through what you really want to do with the violin, do some research and then decide if you are really up for it.
Quote by C4ll3
Violin demands massive amounts of practice on tone and intonation. You are going to sound like **** the first one or two years. If you start too late i your life you will never develop the extremely precise mechanics in your fingers that is needed for playing on higher levels. (there have been studies on this)
You will sound better as an intermediate electric guitarist than an intermediate violinist.
Think through what you really want to do with the violin, do some research and then decide if you are really up for it.

If he's halfway decent at guitar his fingers already know pretty much what to do - it's his bowing that will be painful
Quote by Angus77
I disagree, so long as he has proper instruction he can do just great.

I've never met a professional musician that cannot play more than one instrument

I've never heard of anyone who was a virtuoso guitarist, pianist and violinist.
violins can be quite cheap around here, like 70$ and 10$ the bow
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Mad Marius
I've never heard of anyone who was a virtuoso guitarist, pianist and violinist.

You don't need to be a virtuoso to have fun and enjoy playing....
They're both string instruments but they're nothing alike in technique or feel. If you're a little older now, say in your late teens, it may be a little too late to get really good. Your hands will not be as tender as it needs to be in order to play the violin well.

Quote by athlete1
violin and guitar have completely different postures. if you play one, your better off not playing the other, or you'll suck at both

Uh, no. That's the dumbest thing I've heard all week.

I got a scholarship to my music school on guitar and I've been playing violin twice as long. I'm still able to nab auditions on violin. They're not mutually exclusive.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Nov 22, 2008,
Violin is a wonderful instrument. I wish my parents made me learn it instead of piano. I hate piano with a passion...
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Whereas guitar is a more badass instrument, good violin-playing is far more impressive.
Doubts?
Youtube search 'Jascha Heifetz Paganini Caprice 24'
Corona Corona
Left hand (if you're a righty) is so similar to guitar! Except you only tend to use 1 finger at a time on a violin and you have to bit more accurate.. but its basically the same mechanics, just at a different angle
Quote by zhilla
Left hand (if you're a righty) is so similar to guitar! Except you only tend to use 1 finger at a time on a violin and you have to bit more accurate.. but its basically the same mechanics, just at a different angle

That different angle makes all the difference.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
That different angle makes all the difference.

I reckon it just means you need a teacher to hammer into you how to hold the violin properly....your fingers still do pretty much the same thing
Page 1 of 2