Poll: Could Britain have won WWII without the U.S.A.?
Poll Options
View poll results: Could Britain have won WWII without the U.S.A.?
Yes definetely
43 11%
yes, but with alot more effort
124 32%
no not at all
191 50%
go Axis!
24 6%
Voters: 382.
Page 1 of 8
Well pit what do you think?

Personally I believe they could have, albeit it with a much much greater cost, from which Britain may have never recovered.

Please no britain vs. america discussion, historical discussion only.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Last edited by Mechanixx at Nov 22, 2008,
Of course not.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
ಠ_ಠ

I wonder if this will turn into a Britain v America thread...

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
ಠ_ಠ

I wonder if this will turn into a Britain v America thread...

It is.

And we could have, it would have taken many more years, and many more dead, but we would have.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by blackflag49
You'd be typing in German right now...

following the Battle of Britain, there was no longer a threat of invasion, so this is not true.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
No.

I'm not a "Go America!" type of person at all, but if you look at the statistics it just wouldn't have happened. WWII couldn't have been won without Britain, but it also couldn't have been won without America.

Also, I have tons of British family, so I'm fairly unbiased against this.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Yes. Germany invading Russia was more important than America finally stopping extorting the countries involved and getting involved themselves.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
I voted no but it's a really tough call, with the Russian manpower and the already mentioned failed invasion of Britain stripping all hope of another one it could possibly have been won without the yanks, but the war with Japan would have continued for much longer.
Quote by Mechanixx
Well pit what do you think?

Personally I believe they could have, albeit it with a much much greater cost, from which Britain may have never recovered.

Please no britain vs. america discussion.
no, i totally disagree.

and America could NOT have defeated Hitler without Britain, and Russia, etc.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yes, but not without Russia.
There is no way Germany could ever have taken Russia. And by the time the Americans did anything the tide has already turned on the eastern front.

Of course without America serving as the arsenal of democracy the allies might have been in more trouble, but America benefited hugely from that.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Put it this way. Without US aid or forces, we would have been pretty much overrun. But, without US forces and just aid, we wouldn't have been defeated. Britain won the Battle of Britain without US involvement (one US pilot, Billy Fisk, shot down after no kills), and Hitler moved on to attacking Russia, ditching Operation Sealion. We wouldn't have been defeated, but we wouldn't have beaten Germany.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
no, i totally disagree.

and America could NOT have defeated Hitler without Britain, and Russia, etc.

America didn't defeat Hitler.

Neither did Britain, or Russia or any other country.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
You think Britain had the manpower and could have single handily invaded France and took on the Germans alone? I don't think so.
ADD MY -CORE BAND!
www.myspace.com/efakaz

GEARx
Ibanez RG2EX1
Peavey 5150 II
ISP Decimator

Quote by T Man Prime
Ok everyone, who do you think is the heaviest band? Personally I think As I Lay Dying is the heaviest
Well, since this is all speculation, we can't really get a real answer.

So pointless thread.
I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

One day the otters will destroy you all... humans.
Quote by duncang
America didn't defeat Hitler.

Neither did Britain, or Russia or any other country.
i never said America did. I said they could not have.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Oh one thing I remembered, we also won North Africa without American help - they joined in at the invasion of Tunisia in 1943, but American troops were very amateurish at that point in the war, and still hadn't become battle hardened. Monty's victory in North Africa meant we could hold onto Suez and our oil supplies.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I personally believe that US americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and the Iraq everywhere like such as and I believe...

Wait what?
being english i say NO! we would never have won without american help, HOWEVER, this may be complicated but bear with me... i don't believe USA should take any credit anyway, yes they helped but they were late, unprepared and lucky (to get through the german u-boats patrolling the atlantic) however just their sheer numbers helped us win.

oh, most credit goes to the russians and their winter...
I don't think the British would have had enough resources to win.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It was a combined effort between the British, Russians, and America.

America joined the war very late on, but the sheer amount of moral support they provided definitely counts for something.

Germany taking on Russia was a very stupid thing for them to do. That severely hurt their forces, simply because Russia outnumbered them greatly.

When the US dropped the bombs on Japan, that ended Japan's part in the war (I have mixed feelings on this, but I won't get into that here. )

When Japan surrendered, Germany was out of two allies (Italy and Japan). It was only so long before they surrendered too.

So, what I'm trying to say is: It was a combined effort between the US, Britain, and Russia (along with some others.)

Also, I'm no historian, but I believe the information above is accurate. If it's not, please don't flame me. Just correct me.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Quote by captivate
I don't think the British would have had enough resources to win.

The Russians did
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by freddaahh
Put it this way. Without US aid or forces, we would have been pretty much overrun. But, without US forces and just aid, we wouldn't have been defeated. Britain won the Battle of Britain without US involvement (one US pilot, Billy Fisk, shot down after no kills), and Hitler moved on to attacking Russia, ditching Operation Sealion. We wouldn't have been defeated, but we wouldn't have beaten Germany.

basically this
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by nosushi4you

America joined the war very late on, but the sheer amount of moral support they provided definitely counts for something.

Germany taking on Russia was a very stupid thing for them to do. That severely hurt their forces, simply because Russia outnumbered them greatly.

When the US dropped the bombs on Japan, that ended Japan's part in the war (I have mixed feelings on this, but I won't get into that here. )

When Japan surrendered, Germany was out of two allies (Italy and Japan). It was only so long before they surrendered to.

So, what I'm trying to say is: It was a combined effort between the US, Britain, and Russia (along with some others.)

Also, I'm no historian, but I believe the information above is accurate. If it's not, please don't flame me. Just correct me.

Germany surrended before Japan.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
The Russians did

The Russians had more man power, not resources.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by nosushi4you

When Japan surrendered, Germany was out of two allies (Italy and Japan). It was only so long before they surrendered too.

THIS!
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
"Won" can be fairly subjective.

I don't think Germany would've been able to invade Britain, but I don't think Britain would've been able to push Germany back either.

With Russia and Britain together though, they would've eventually defeated Germany.

Afterwards, with America's image completely destroyed for not helping the allies, and with Russia saving much of Europe, I think the world would be largely communist today.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Quote by Graveworm
If god wanted you to wait til marriage why did he give you sexual urges at a teen age?

To test your faith, stupid. Just like dinosaur fossils and the sun!
Quote by nosushi4you

Germany surrendered before the bombs were dropped and before Japan surrendered.

Quote by thedudemeister

They had ****loads of stuff.
What was Hitler invading it for sure? The most valuable resource of all: Oil.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
well eventually, the usa didnt do much compared to britain, they justsorta came at the end when everybody else was knackerd and brought fresh supplies/soldiers. so it annnoys me when americans think that they won ww2
Quote by thedudemeister
Germany surrended before Japan.

Well shit, you're right!

Man, I shouldn't have slept so much in Global last year.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Rambo-Conny

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Quote by octavarium78
You think Britain had the manpower and could have single handily invaded France and took on the Germans alone? I don't think so.

Manpower =/= victory.

We won the Battle of Britain when outnumbered 3:1. It's down to supplies and aid, that's what kept Britain afloat, and a lot of luck.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Russia sure as hell didn't win the war, considering the fact that it wasn't a separate country at the time.

USSR and Allied troops entered Berlin at the same time, so they pwned the Nazi's equally from both sides. But no single nation could have done it alone.
Quote by nosushi4you
Well shit, you're right!

Man, I shouldn't have slept so much in Global last year.

You shouldn't have

Quote by Ur all $h1t
They had ****loads of stuff.
What was Hitler invading it for sure? The most valuable resource of all: Oil.

True, I was thinking more on the lines of firearms.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Quote by thedudemeister

Russia had huge amounts of resources. That's why it was a target for the third Reich, part of their thousand year plan. Russian resources were key to that.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by nosushi4you

A combined effort of all three but Britain don't get a mention?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife