Looking to get some great new electric strings for tunings like drop D, C, and B. I know the lights gauges aren't that great for lower tunings, but i also don't want strings thicker than i need.

Cany anyone recommend a brand/style and the gauges?
I just use medium gauge Dean Markeleys and they work fine. its all sound preference really. but you want mediums
I prefer .10 for drop D, .11 for drop C and B. I prefer Ernie Ball myself. It all depends on your preferance en the acidity of your hands. In my case for instance, GHS strings will wear out in a week of two.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
It also depends slightly on what guitar you have. A Gibson guitar doesn't take to drop tunings as well as ibanez or ESP. Its got a short scale, so you might prefer heavies if you find you don't like the feel or sound of the mediums.

EDIT: You definitely don't need .12s for drop D or C, although if you're playing standard C or drop B than you might consider it.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Quote by Cutlass_253
It also depends slightly on what guitar you have. A Gibson guitar doesn't take to drop tunings as well as ibanez or ESP. Its got a short scale, so you might prefer heavies if you find you don't like the feel or sound of the mediums.

I have an ibanez s520ex

Edit: so the recommendation is .11-.50?
Last edited by dcvlehr at Nov 22, 2008,
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's a long scale, so you could probably get away with .11's. Mostly its up to you though. Drop B feels way different than drop D, so one gauge is gonna work better with one tuning.

EDIT: To look at it another way though, if you want a chunkier, heavier tone, thicker strings will work, although lead work is sometimes easier with lighter gauges.

I have a friend that plays in standard with .08's.
He has a measly tone, but damn can you shred on it.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Nov 22, 2008,
I use Ernie Ball 11's on my LTD and Daddario (sp?) 12's on my Epi G-400 and they work fine for Dropped C
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*