I'm looking for a new guitar. I really want the RG770DX reissue because it's one of the best looking guitars I've seen. I tested it out at guitar it plays and sounds amazing. Compared to other RG prestiges, it's more expensive. I'm just wondering if I'm only paying for the look of it. It comes equipped with everything it had in 1987, and I know they've had upgrades since then like better tremolos and a better neck connection. It uses the square plate that strats use instead of just the screws like the other Prestige guitars so the upper frets aren't as accessible as other prestige models. I was also thinking about the RG2550Z. I know the RG2550Z is the better value, but I wouldn't mind paying $300 more for the look of the RG770 if it was actually the better guitar.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg770dx.htm
http://www.ibanezrules.com/new/rg2550z.htm
get the prestiege
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
the white one is pretttty sexy,ide get that one.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
It doesn't grab as much attention as the blue one. On a wall of 100 guitars, you probably won't notice the black or white one, but the red and blue ones stand out, especially the blue one. Plus, I love the 80s
get the white one, I've played it, it's godly...and If I had had $800 at the time it'd be mine
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Quote by withgunstoglory
get the white one, I've played it, it's godly...and If I had had $800 at the time it'd be mine

They run for closer to 1,000
1,200 from rich w/ the full setup, and god knows what else he does
The 300 extra are mostly about the looks of it and the fact that it's a limited edition and will most likely increase in value through time pretty much like it's predecessor. Thr other prestige might not be available too next year but will be replaced by a model with just a different number and minor cosmetich changes so it's value might decrease instead. So go for it if you like the looks and that neck joint difference doesn't bother you. On a quality level they should be quite similar, but as always the best case is to try them both and then choose.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
Quote by Killedelphia19
They run for closer to 1,000
1,200 from rich w/ the full setup, and god knows what else he does

it was at a local shop and the owner had it for $800, I'm not sure if it was new or used, but damn, it was nice!
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*
Well, the 770 has different pickups, a different trem, colored inlays, a different fretboard, a different neck joint and a slimmer neck, so your not paying 300$ just for looks.

I have one of the 20th anniversary 550 reissues which is pretty similar and it's an amazing guitar.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Ehh, I'd say it's completely up to you. The features are almost exactly the same (the 770 does have the original Edge though, which is superior to the Edge Zero imo, so keep that in mind). You'll probably want to replace the pickups on either one eventually, though I don't know about the IBZ/USA pickups.

PinkEdit: I forgot the 770 has the Fender style neck joint too. And of course the sexy maple board
Last edited by which ones pink at Nov 22, 2008,
I do like maple boards better than rosewood. But I like the neck joint of the RG2550. I don't think I would change the pickups on the RG770, I couldn't find anything wrong with the stock ones. And a lot of pickups don't come in blue. Would that neck joint affect sustain or is it just for comfort?
If it were up to functionality...
Id personaly go for the second but then again I havent played the first.
The 770 also has an original Edge Bridge which is a plus.

If it were up to Sound...
I would know what to tell you.
Id stick in my own choice pickups anyway.
I assume the 770 is made of either basswood or mohagany as its a prestige.

If it were up to looks...
Id go for the second.
To me its much more attractive.
I dont like the color blue to be used so dramaticly.
The black and white with mirror pickgaurd looks much better.
RG770 forever....ive played this one and its one of the best guitars i could ever play
The white one is starting to look sexier and sexier now that I'm looking at the prices and qualities. I don't know much about trems, but the only thing bad about the 2550 is the rosewood board, but that's not a major turn-off, I might just go with the 2550. They're very similar for a $300 price difference, but both are amazing guitars. I might just go with value this time. Plus, the white matches anything
Quote by withgunstoglory

Same here... played one today actually...