ok i have an acoustic gig at a coffee shop in two hours. i thought i could sing, but i was really only hearing my guitar. my voice is not very good, but i cant drop out.

i keep telling myself that its only a small coffee shop at two in the afternoon, so nobody will be there, but in the back of my mind i know im gonna look like a jackass. can you guys give me some encouragement or advice?

thanks
^I S*** you not compadre!

Quote by Explorerpro
You Sir, Are Made Of Win.

Quote by El Hilliaro
Wow TS, this is a seriously great, original idea.

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
Put it this way, you can't be as bad as Pheobe from Friends, can you?
maybe not...

Quote by Explorerpro

Quote by El Hilliaro

Anyway, I'm off, for some reason I have the strongest urge to listen to The Ramones.
[quote="'[Arran"]']Put it this way, you can't be as bad as Pheobe from Friends, can you?

Just play songs you're comfortable and think you sing well. Look confident, un-musical people won't be able to tell the difference.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Last edited by slaptasticdave at Nov 22, 2008,
Don't choke.

But seriously, as long as your confident, and don't sing too out of key, you're good.
im only singing one song. im really psyching myself out. god im a nub

Quote by Explorerpro

Quote by El Hilliaro

not as bad...
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
[quote="'[Arran"]']Put it this way, you can't be as bad as Pheobe from Friends, can you?

That's impossible.

As for your case, are you only doing one song or are you just singing one song? If you sound awful in your song let the others "cover" it for you... just my two cents.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Easy - whisper sing. It sounds much nicer, there's no way to make your voice crack and it's behind the guitar a bit more. Kinda like Elliott Smith, now that I think about it.

After this gig, make sure you learn to sing
Quote by slaptasticdave

Just play songs you're comfortable and think you sing well. Look confident, un-musical people won't be able to tell the difference.

Listen to this man. He knows. Put 100% into your performance, and even if you don't perform that well, people will be able to tell that you tried your best because you look like you've actually tried your best.

Just look confident. Like you know what you're doing. Then all shall be well.
ur screwed if its starbucks ppl like live there and never leave
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by magnum1117

not as bad...

"Smelly caaat, smelly caaat, whaaaat aaare they feeding yoou?"
Quote by Thales
What song?

plush by stone temple pilots. i can hit most of the notes, but there are a few that go sharp or flat.

i think im just gonna go and try my best, and see what happens

Quote by Explorerpro

Quote by El Hilliaro

keep us updated.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
i thought phoebe was really good, what are you guys talking about?

Smelly cat, smelly cat, what are they feeding you....

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
just relax you will get paid eitherway

also 8/10 if your confident and relaxed it won't matter how you sound,aslong as you don't hit bum notes on the guitar,cos the singing no1 will notice,thae guitar they do.

if in doubt don't sing atall. just play the guiter and sorta whispersing.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by roknoob1590
Gig in two hours, Help me pit!
nothing to help, dude. two hours won't change anything. just go with what you've got and have fun. that's about the best advice i can think of. if you aren't enjoying it, it will be hard for others to. and if you ARE enjoying it, your audience will be more forgiving.

don't forget some eye contact and smile.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i think your biggest problem is just confidence

you're doubting yourself too much, which is quite normal because you're about to go on stage and subject yourself to the judgement and scrutiny of a bunch of strangers

the way that i deal with this...

they're not judging me, i'm not there to show off my abilities and gain their praise, it's not me they are judging...it's the song!

i do my best to bring this awesome song to people, and i've practiced it a lot, it doesn't have to be perfect but if i enjoyed it and i think others will enjoy hearing it (again, they don't have to hear the pro quality CD version) then everything's good

if they didn't like it...who cares, people have different tastes in music, but i did my part to spread the awesomeness of the songs that i love

i think it's way more about the feeling in it and giving to the audience, you're giving them a good song to listen to

also, if you think too much about going flat or going sharp or...really if you think too much about anything you will probably screw it up

just go up there, play it like you mean it, and whatever happens doesn't matter...

because that's what it's all about, right?

you are your own worst critic, and nobody is going to care if you sang certain parts slightly off key, they're going to remember the performance as a whole

no one has you under a microscope, so relax

you are the only one being so critical, and if you can let it go, then certainly the audience will too
Think of it this way, have people in there heard this song before ? If they haven't they can't compare it.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.