Hi everyone,
Unfortunately due to cost of shipping the material i am changing the guitar design
to a flying v design, thanks to those who helped me earlier, the explorer will probably happen in a few years.
sorry about that.
So I am now going for the Flying V design probably a bit like the Alexi Laiho one, it should be easier to build, as long as it can be made from a single piece of wood.
Thanks again
Last edited by heavy-metal-guy at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by guitarslutxxx
hey man, i found a website that sell guitar templates for about $50, and i think they have explorer templates for sale.... ill post the link when i find it

Those templates are great I would highly recommend them shipping takes a little while though. I have some pdf and some cad plans for an explorer email me at AFcustomguitars@aol.com and I'll send you either just the pdf plan or both let me know.
basswood is ok, maple is alright, and mahogany/sapele is the best imo
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
The big 4 for guitar bodies are ash, alder, mahogany, and basswood. The major neck woods are maple and mahogany, and usually fingerboards are either maple, rosewood, or ebony.

Theres a ton of more exotic(and expensive) woods you can use, but I wouldn't recommend anything pricey for a first build.

If you want something that sounds good and is cheap, poplar is a good option. It has the same tonal and structural properties that alder has, but its a lot uglier. If you were planning on using a paint finish, then its a great choice.
Last edited by Pyrofretnic at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by -MintSauce-
Give me a minute whilst I find my post from a bazillion years ago..

Edit:

Have a look here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827134

thanks mate
i was thinking of using ash for the body seeing as its strong and fairly light what other woods are good for guitar building?

i'm going for a matt white with blood spatter paint finish any tips on that?
thanks
Your gonna have to layer the red on thick for the blood. Over a white finish it's gonna look pinkish. Maybe splatter the red on, let in dry then carefully go in and add more and more layers of red to it to give it that gristly blood look. I also suggest mixing black paint in with the red to darken it.
^ i doubt that if he lets a white coat sit and dry, then comes back with red, it will not turn pink, these are two seperate coats of paint, he's not going to mix them toghter. in that case, yes it would turn pinkish.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Metalwarrior40 pretty much hit the nail on the head that time.

The only problem i'm forseeing is trying to level out the clear coat after you have those raised red spots, that's going to be a little annoying, but nothing too major.
well if i was him, after i did the red splatter to my liking, i would wet sand, with high grit sandpaper,the edges of the paint where white meets red so that it levels out.then you can clear coat, wetsand and buff to your liking!
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Everone wants to do blood splatters with paint...

What happened to just taking out all the anxiety and stress of life on a vagabond somehwere?

Do it in real blood, man the **** up.

Really though, if splatter thin paint on, try putting some in a spritzing bottle for a high speed blood misting effect. Like when you shoot someone, and exit wound mists out organs and whatnot.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i'll be experimenting with how i do the paint job, gettign the blood spatter right is my only concern