I'm a drummer but I've recently taken up guitar however I only play acoustic and classical guitar, but I was wondering what is a good classical guitar song to learn? Keep in mind I'm a really fast learner and the level doesn't matter it can be an incredibly hard song. Just don't say Classical Gas because I already know how to play that and have no intention on hearing it any longer.
Are you looking for something just fingerpicking or actual classical guitar? If the former, try Mediterranean Sundance or Guardian Angel. If the latter, then I'd recommend Aconquija or El Nino.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
"Dee", performed by Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist Randy Rhoads. It's a beautiful 50 second long piece from "Blizzard of Ozz"
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
You sound pretty cocky mate. I doubt you could tackle classical guitar with any success with an attitude like that.

Adding to this, you can never have a piece 'mastered' really. I still go back and play some of my early pieces and find small things that I change and improve.
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
You sound pretty cocky mate. I doubt you could tackle classical guitar with any success with an attitude like that.

Here are some interesting pieces though

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=36_X-bojjUY
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qKg_kATDLRc
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RYs0Bo-bQUk

I'm not cocky at all I was adding that just to let everyone know not to only put beginner pieces.
look up carcassi, some pieces by bach, fernando sor, johan roman, tarrega, etc. should be some challenging stuff in here for you.
And I can play guitar like a mother****in riot.
Quote by Deep-Sea-Seamus
Ah, yes I love classical guitar! Try these pieces by Randy Rhoads and Metallica
What?
look up carcassi, some pieces by bach, fernando sor, johan roman, tarrega, etc. should be some challenging stuff in here for you.
I second this list and add Ferdinando Carulli to it. Bach peices are notoriously hard though, as in this is what people at universities play to get in.
Quote by demonofthenight
What?
I second this list and add Ferdinando Carulli to it. Bach peices are notoriously hard though, as in this is what people at universities play to get in.

There are lots of bach pieces that aren't that hard. Bouree from the 996 suite is a great intermediate piece.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSg8t4zyLg
"Required repertoire" for any serious classical guitar student would include selections from the 20 Studies for Guitar by Fernando Sor. They range from semi-intermediate to holy crap, is that ever hard.

There are some simple Bach pieces. but many of them are awfully difficult. Great if you can pull 'em off though.

Spanish Romance (or Romanza) has a lot of simple arrangements, but the actual composition with the tremolo in the right hand is a tough one.

There's lots of nice stuff by Dowland that ranges from beginner/intermediate to somewhat difficult.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 23, 2008,
Everyone mentioned good stuff. I really think you should look into the "required" or "standard" repertoire when your starting out like axemanchris said. Composers such as Aguado, Domeniconi I believe make it onto the list as well as the already mentioned Sor, Tarrega, Carcassi, Carulli...anyone mention Diabelli? I'd see Bach and Paganini as separate from this group but what can you say, they're Bach and Paganini.

That should keep you busy for oh say the next 10 years. lol. But good luck!

Also, I love Heitor Villa Lobos and the lesser known Brazilian composer Baden Powell. They really put that contemporary jazzy latin edge into their compositions.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
If you really want a good section of pieces pick up some graded conservatory books. RCM is great, but what you will find will depend on where you live. Try out try some level 4 or 5 books, they should be enough to be challenging but still rewarding. The pieces are spread out over the different eras and its generally a great section of pieces.
i have explored the sea
Villa Lobos studies range from rather difficult to "you've got to be kidding me." But yes, great pieces.

If you're into the avante garde, check out Harry Somers "Sonata for Guitar." Playing level = not for the faint of heart.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Villa Lobos studies range from rather difficult to "you've got to be kidding me." But yes, great pieces.

If you're into the avante garde, check out Harry Somers "Sonata for Guitar." Playing level = not for the faint of heart.

CT
Well I was thinking more Preludes or Capricornes which I believe fall into the "rather difficult' side. Prelude 1 (the only one I can truly play) I believe falls into the easy category. Never heard of Somers...off to google!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Last edited by KryptNet at Nov 23, 2008,
re: Villa Lobos

If I remember right, #1 and #8 aren't so bad. #5 is a great piece, but it's an absolute brute. I think #3 was a killer too.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
re: Villa Lobos

If I remember right, #1 and #8 aren't so bad. #5 is a great piece, but it's an absolute brute. I think #3 was a killer too.

CT

i dunno number 1 has some brutal barres and uncomfortable chords that you have to hold for a good while. im learning number 11 for an rcm exam and its probably one the easier ones, theres a really cool arpeggio thing in that cheats by playing an e note on 5 different strings and sounds like it would be impossible to play but its actually pretty easy.

yeah number 3 is obscene, its all fast legato with real big streches
i have explored the sea
Your memory is fresher than mine. I haven't played that stuff in almost 15 years.

I was browsing through my repertoire, though... and yea, that #5 is something else. I still have nightmares about that one!

What grade are you going for? IIRC, the Villa Lobos stuff is between RCM grades 8-10. Villa Lobos #5 would be a grade 10 piece, for sure, I would think.

CT

Quote by NilePlayer1
Ignore Deep-Sea-Seamus. He's a troll.

He's been scamming and ridiculing people in our browser game called Nile Online since a few days ago. For more info, check out this thread:

http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?p=217630#post217630
0/10

Deap-sea-Seamus is in his forties. No-one older than 12 plays browser games.

all of the villa lobos studies are a nightmare to play
Coming from you (and everything else you've suggested) these must require godly skill? Is the sheet music on IMSLP?
Quote by demonofthenight
0/10

Deap-sea-Seamus is in his forties. No-one older than 12 plays browser games.

Coming from you (and everything else you've suggested) these must require godly skill? Is the sheet music on IMSLP?

i dont know what that is but they are commonly known pieces it should be pretty easy to find them
i have explored the sea
Quote by demonofthenight
0/10

yes, they are very, very difficult.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Your memory is fresher than mine. I haven't played that stuff in almost 15 years.

I was browsing through my repertoire, though... and yea, that #5 is something else. I still have nightmares about that one!

What grade are you going for? IIRC, the Villa Lobos stuff is between RCM grades 8-10. Villa Lobos #5 would be a grade 10 piece, for sure, I would think.

CT

grade 9
i have explored the sea
Nice! Good luck with it. When is it?

CT

maybe january but i might postpone it untill the next session if i dont have the material real solid
i have explored the sea