Iv been playing for nearly 6 months im in a band in school and im lead guitarist id consider myself about an average player but i think my solos are pretty weak any advice will do on what i need to improve my overall playing
simple, really

just learn some licks by your favourite guitarists, and then change them and incorporate them into your playing.

i much prefer being able to sing while playing rhythm tho.
Quote by paulseagull08
a bit not much though

problem number one, writing a solo without theory is similar to trying to finger someone with only a vague idea of where the cliterus is.
learn your scales and you will then know what notes to use, then you can arrange them to your tastes.
Quote by stephen_rettie
problem number one, writing a solo without theory is similar to trying to finger someone with only a vague idea of where the cliterus is.

There are other ways of going about such things.

TS: Phrasing. No solo would ever work without it. Read this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/phrasing_for_dummies.html Learning basic scales (pentatonics, major, minor) will also help but is nowhere near as essential as the development of good phrasing; with good phrasing you can make a solo with one note sound like it was handed down from God himself.

Edit: Good vibrato also, almost as important as phrasing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by stephen_rettie
learn your scales and you will then know what notes to use, then you can arrange them to your tastes.

wheres the clitoris???
haha pmsl only messin
i do know scales:
pentatonic
major
minor
blues

all over the neck
Quote by paulseagull08
wheres the clitoris???
haha pmsl only messin
i do know scales:
pentatonic
major
minor
blues

all over the neck

Perfect. Phrasing and Vibrato are where it's at then. Also, you need to be CONSTANTLY thinking about what you're playing and what would sound good next, lest you run on autopilot and always play the same stuff. Then you'd end up being me and I don't like having my thunder stolen.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Perfect. Phrasing and Vibrato are where it's at then. Also, you need to be CONSTANTLY thinking about what you're playing and what would sound good next, lest you run on autopilot and always play the same stuff. Then you'd end up being me and I don't like having my thunder stolen.

ehh some of the best stuff comes when you aren't thinking about what you are playing or what you will play next. Although we all have those couple of licks that just come out automatically.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by paulseagull08
any good lessons on phrasing

I posted a link to one in my first reply.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I posted a link to one in my first reply.

thats rubbish i dont understand it??/???
Just because you're too thick/impatient to understand it doesn't make it "rubbish"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just because you're too thick/impatient to understand it doesn't make it "rubbish"

+1

It's actually a brilliant lesson you're just not looking at it in the right way. Either that or you skimmed over it noticed the lack of tab and just gave up.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by steven seagull

no theyre describing it like am a noob so i dont understand the language it uses and i dont understand it overall anyway
Quote by paulseagull08
no theyre describing it like am a noob so i dont understand the language it uses and i dont understand it overall anyway

You obviously are a n00b.

http://www.dictionary.com
http://www.thesaurus.com

Go nuts.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by paulseagull08

Then you need to take the time and make the effort to understand it.

Look, you might be my illegitimate son but that doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on you...all people here can do is provide you with the information you need, we can't learn it for you. There's only so much you can have given to you on a plate, sooner or later there comes a time when you encounter a situation where you just have to sit down and learn.

I can tell you the best way pay a piece of tab, or how to tune the guitar...mechanical stuff like that - I can't tell you the exact steps you need to take to become a creative guitarist, and even then it's not going to be a case of reading something and bingo "I know phrasing!"...this isn't the matrix. This kind of stuff is all part of your development, you never stop learning and it's going to take years to get really good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com