Well I got my first epiphone sg.... 4 years ago. I have become much better since then... But let's say the level I could have come to maximally in those 4 years was 100%, then I am now at the stage of... well maybe 10%. I SUCK, compared to how long i have played. I have been DEmotivated. I have maybe played in average 9 minutes per day since I got my first guitar.
And why is it that I am not better? It is because I'm demotivated. Therefore it might go like 4 days, and then I play half an hour, then quit because I just sit there, wondering what to play... wondering: "Can I play anything at all?"
You won't believe it is possible when I tell you this but... I have had a guitar for 4 years, and I have NEVER learnt a WHOLE song. I can the first 128 beats in stairway to heaven, I can play some small parts from Octavarium by Dream Theater, I can play the first 32 beats of Nothing else matters... But I have NEVER learnt a whole song, because I end up demotivated, not knowing what to try to LEARN to play or play, because I am just repeating myself over and over again.
And I have this guitar book. Yes, loads of songs in it, very good book. I am at the 8th song now, and first now I realise that I never actually finished learning the other songs. I just became good enough to play them.
So here I am. I know some music theory, I can do vibratos, bends, oblique bends, I know how to tune the guitar, I can play some stuff with a pick, somethings without- I'm sitting here with an expencive Fender Strat, BUT WHAT THE HELL? I can't play A SINGLE SONG?!?

YES! I get!VERY depressed by knowing that is an unquestionable fact...

But I want to learn playing guitar ='-( and I know that at the point where I am now, I cannot learn anything ANY other way than learning bunches of songs... but why don't I do that? Well that's easy. I don't like any bands, I haven't heard any music I like. Oh well yes I like Dream Theater, but I am in fact NOT capable of learning 24 minutes long progresive metal songs, as bad as I am now. Well then. How should I solve that damn problem? This is what I tried:
Hmm Iron Maiden. Hmm maybe I would like them? we have some music with them at home... Well, so I insert the cd into my computer, import the songs to Itunes, and try to get them into my Ipod, so that I can listen to them alot, BUT NOOOOO... Desteny doesn't want THAT to happen, does it? NOoooo. Because my ipod gets destroyed suddenly. OMG

You have no idea. You have no damn idea how that makes me feel. Oh yes, I can do alot of things at guitar. BUT Can I USE it for SOMETHING? NO. Well can I make some music myself? NO, because I have no idea how a song is built.
AHHHHHH

Help.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Last edited by Burning Raths at Nov 22, 2008,
mate im in the same place as you and i feel the same its really depressing
i really dont know what to nsay to help because im in the same situation
good luck tho mate and try to stay with it
stew
my gear:
jackson dk2m
ibanez grg170dx.
peavey vyper 15
warwick corvette 5 string
ashdown 5 15
easiest solution: Don't be a puss. If you really want to learn a whole song then find one you think you will be capable of playing, sit your ass down, and learn it.
" I just became good enough to play them."
and you got lazy and decided that good enough was good enough. That's being lazy. It's up to you to stop doing that and do it for yourself
also, why the hell do you want to play guitar if you don't like music?
that doesn't make any sense to me.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by Burning Raths
I SUCK, compared to how long i have played. I have been DEmotivated. I have maybe played in average 9 minutes per day since I got my first guitar.
And why is it that I am not better?

maybe THATS why u havent improved? 9 min / day since u started?
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
just sell your guitar and start playing world of warcraft. end of story.
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Quote by magvol

he said "on average", this mean he could play for HOURS one day and none the next few.
EDIT: but you're right
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
1:listen to EVERYTHING until you find something you like i mean country to punk to metal to celtic folk,

2:when you find a genera/band you like pick a song that is near your skill range and learn it the whole way through and keep practicing it until you can play it backwards in your sleep

3:repeat steps 2 as necessary
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
easiest solution: Don't be a puss. If you really want to learn a whole song then find one you think you will be capable of playing, sit your ass down, and learn it.
" I just became good enough to play them."
and you got lazy and decided that good enough was good enough. That's being lazy. It's up to you to stop doing that and do it for yourself
also, why the hell do you want to play guitar if you don't like music?
that doesn't make any sense to me.

I mean. I LIKE music. But I have heard so little music that I like.
But you're right man. I will try really hard tomorow. I will maybe try.... hmm... Across the universe by beatles.

Thanks people. I will try to realise that is ME who am lazy. I will try to do something with it.
Check my profile for seeing my avatar a little bit bigger... u won't regret... it is no waste of seconds... ten seconds of your life... 30 heart punches of 1 000 000 000.
That's the spirit!!
Last edited by Burning Raths at Nov 22, 2008,
right seems to me youve lost your passion.
im assuming you listen to classic metal, i reccomend you go to limewire>audio>genre>metal, then download LOADS of songs, by doing this you will regain your passion and you will hopefully like alot of the stuff which will make you wanna learn them which will keep you busy
hope this helped, hate to see a guitarist lose his passion
ESP H-401FM
Jackson DK2M
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Boss ME-25
Just find any song that you like and think is in your skill level. I used to be, sort of, the same way with scales. I never practiced them so I couldn't play them. When I finally just sat down and forced myself to learn on the guitar as opposed to just playing it it helped a lot.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Jam with some friends.

This works quite well, or once you get in a band, your morale and creativity starts rising
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
take lessons if you really want to get better faster. or just sit down and learn a song other than deciding that half a song is good enough.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Well are you technically good enough to play dream theater? If so then learn some damn dream theater or something similar. If not then find the next closest thing that you can play. Its much harder to learn a song you dont really enjoy then one you love. But yeah if your serious about playing then play, 9 minutes a day? that means in 4 years you've played for a combined total of 220 hours. Someone playing for 6 months an hour a day has played more guitar than you. If you really want to play guitar you need to play guitar dude, you cant just expect it to happen without some effort.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by magvol

Who chooses such an odd amount of time to practice? Why not an exact ten?
Find something that you think you can play (even if it isn't essentially a song that you like) and learn it. Learn it front to back.

I've found myself in the same boat as you and got out of it by learning a few new, easy songs. Just something to change it up for a little bit while I find some motivation to move on to something harder that I really am interested in playing.

A few suggestions I have for easy songs to learn are:

The Darkest One - The Tragically Hip
Higher - Creed
I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Killing in the Name of - Rage Against the Machine
Pain for Pleasure - Sum41