Hey. I'm currently working on making some of my own songs. It takes a long time for me because I can't actually sing and play at the same time very well, if at all, and I'm working on my own. Very often I like to add some lead or electric guitar over the top of what I'm doing (so far at least) but I'm basically a bit lost.

To put multiple layers of say, my voice, rythm guitar and then a lead ontop right now I'd have to do a recording of a recording of a recording etc.. and it sounds terrible.

I use my recordings to show very close friends or for my own mental note. To hear how I sound also.

Is there any cheap, or free music editing or layering software for making up your own stuff? I had an old audigy sound blaster ZS.. the sound quality of a single recording isn't too shabby, but yeh.. about layering.. how? And if I wanted good enough quality recordings to say, make a myspace page.. or even one day..something like youtube.. how do I go about it? I'm basically totally in the dark here.
Audacity - free. You just need it and a mic.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
I just use an ordinary old rockband mic + Adacity lol. Just listen to my songs on my profile to hear what it sounds like.
it's not that expensive to get something like an M Audio device or a Line Six Toneport. They're around $100's and emulate amps and effects. you can then pick up a mid priced microphone, like a Shure SM57 and you're set. It's what I use.
I also use an ancient copy of Cool Edit Pro 2 (I've had it since Windows 98 was still the thing), Audacity and Abelton Live 5 to record with. I mostly use Cool Edit, just cuase it's what I'm most comfortable with.

I should add, Due 07, it shows that you didn't really use anything worth while with your recording.

I actually would suggest the $20 microphone for PC's, the little stick one. If you check out my profile, "A Stone" and "Vincent O'brien," were recorded on one of those. Just one flat take. The rest were done using the SM57 in some way, either into a board, then to my soundcard, through a PA, Tascam or Toneport.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 22, 2008,
My sound guy uses a Blue Baby Bottle condenser to record just about all of our acoustic instruments (drums, bongos, violin, etc.) run through an m-audio interface. Sounds absolutely great, but quite a bit pricey.

For my own recording at home, I also use Audacity. There is a great Sticky in the recording thread that really can help you out with it. When I first started recording my acoustic and vocals, I used a cheap radio shack mic and a mini-to-1/4" adapter into my soundcard. Not the best sounding rig, but it works. The m-audio is great, and I've seen them for under $100 if you have the money.

Good luck my friend!
A few tips from a music technician.

Don't record the sound hole of the guitar. Ideally you should be recording stereo with one mic pointing towards the bridge and the other towards the 12th fret. I'd imagine you're going to be recording mono though so just remember to experiment a bit with the mic placement, but a good place to start is pointing towards the 12th fret or the bridge.

SM57/58's are dynamic mics and aren't really designed for use with acoustics, you'll loose a lot of the high end detail with them. But if you're just after a quick recording they should be ok.
I was using the mic that came with my daughter's Wii game Boogie. It plugs straight into the USB port and works fine. It just depends how high quality you want it.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

The Wii mic was surprisingly good I thought. Probably sh1t if you're a pro but for me just dickin around it was cool. Til it broke. Then I bought 2 karaoke mics off ebay for a tenner! Came with a USB converter and they work fine, although not as sensitive as the Wii one. God I'm a cheap b'stard.

m-audio. You get a little device and sofware that let you record acouctic and vocals on a mic, but then you plug an electric into it like an amp. Use hundreds of layers if you want pretty cheap 2!
Is m-audio better than line 6?

i have several kareoke mics, and one is actually pretty decent, so do yah think i would be able to record with it, with the right adaptors & such? haha, im just tryin to figure this stuff out too :]
Quote by RubberSoul54321
Is m-audio better than line 6?

yes, especially if it's running firwire, firewire is gold.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
thanks for all the replies. Will be checking back here when I start looking for a mic. Will mostly any mic adapt to be useable with a computer?
Bumping an old post because it's time to buy myself some better recording equipment. My current rig is too quiet and the mic is a 8 pound jobby from argos.

I want to buy a mic stand and a mic for between 30-45 pounds though prefer not to go over 40.

oh can anyone explain to me what the M-audio device actually does? I mean I'm recording with my mic plugged just into my sound card at the moment.. what's the need for this device?
Accidents waiting to happen
Quote by danyellenik
yes, especially if it's running firwire, firewire is gold.

firewire, is gold, but I do all of my stuff through a USB 2.0 connection. It also depends on your system. If you're running a Pentium D or 4 with 512mb ram and Vista/XP, you're going to run into a lot of problems, same with the old G4 macs. I run a Q6600 with 2gb of ram in Windows Vista and the latency that I experience with USB it completely negligible. Even if you're using Firewire with a lower end computer, it still won't work that great.

The firewire vs. USB debate is one that will never end, Firewire, for all intents and purposes, is "better" than USB, but I've yet to see any results that would make me swear off USB. I prefer the Line 6 Toneport over the M-audio boxes because of the inclusion of the Line 6 software and the user interface. The M-audio boxes come with some really crummy software, but their hardware is top notch. A lot of people will actually use software other than what's included with their devices.
While that info maybe useful at some point I just want to know a good mic for recording acoustic between 25 and 40 pounds... and any stand recommendations are welcome :P
I'm not sure how much they run across the pond, but I love the Shure SM-57 for general work. I understand that the SM-58 is a little bit better for instruments, though. I'm sure someone else could enlighten you with better mic info, so, consider this a bump.
I think I remember someone saying they wouldn't be great for acoustics but thanks anyway I'll check
yeh here..

"SM57/58's are dynamic mics and aren't really designed for use with acoustics, you'll loose a lot of the high end detail with them. But if you're just after a quick recording they should be ok."

I'm looking for something to record vocals + guitar simultaneously.. maybe a smidge of harmonica
Let me summarise...

I'm recording vocals + acoustic at the same time

I'm using my PC and have a 'Audigy ZS 2 soundblaster' sound card. Is this good enough?

I have a Numark CM 200 Mixer - wondering if this will help me in any way? (from my DJ days)

I COULD spend say 70-90 pounds on a SM58 for example but that's eating into the little funds I do have, with which I also need to buy myself an electric acoustic some day. (as I intend on joining other musicians basically)

I would like to know if I should stick with say this :http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/sm-48/67785, so I can add another later and go stereo, as most say that's better.

I also need a stand. I'm aware there are stand + mic bundles. If I can save money great, but it's a nightmare finding the right site, with the right product at the right price.. all sorts of snags. Hidden delivery charge or VAT pops up right when your doing signing up

I'm being told to get a condenser - but told dynamics are for vocals - I'm confused.. help? :P

Edit: I found a Shure SM58 on amazon for : £56.99. It has no lead apparently. Wonder which lead I need to buy, is it called an XLR? I want it to plug into my sound card at least :P
Last edited by Easy-Lucky-Free at Apr 8, 2009,