Hey, im gonna buy a new amp soon, and I was wondering, that if I'm going to buy a new amp, could I buy a head first and go without a cab until I have enough money, or should I just get a combo? All of the venues I play at mike the amps, so is a cab even necessary?
Yes, a cab would be necessary for a head. You should just go with a combo, it's going to be quite a bit cheaper.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
You won't get any sound to come out of it if you don't have a cab...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Lunchbox362
Hey, im gonna buy a new amp soon, and I was wondering, that if I'm going to buy a new amp, could I buy a head first and go without a cab until I have enough money, or should I just get a combo? All of the venues I play at mike the amps, so is a cab even necessary?

u might as well get a built in speaker if they mike is cus its easyer to carry
Quote by trendkill-

Psst, it's called a combo.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by trendkill-

Not necessarily, almost every tube combo I've played and owned was very heavy and very awkward to carry, which is why I moved to a head + 2x12. Better sound (imo) and easier to carry
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Combo for the price difference would be (or in my opinion) the better choice, and also, if you wanted to buy a cabinet, and then use your combo like a head later, you can do that too. Its what I may do yet. We'll see. Though, you could run a head right to a PA if it had a Direct Out, if you wanted to, until you had your cabinet.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
ive only been playing for around a year, and i was wondering if you can use a cabinet amp without haveing a amp head?
Quote by camhussynec
ive only been playing for around a year, and i was wondering if you can use a cabinet amp without haveing a amp head?

no, this will not work. cabinet speakers aren't powered, and you therefore need a preamp and a poweramp (a head) to get any sound out of it

Quote by echo_4190
Combo for the price difference would be (or in my opinion) the better choice, and also, if you wanted to buy a cabinet, and then use your combo like a head later, you can do that too. Its what I may do yet. We'll see. Though, you could run a head right to a PA if it had a Direct Out, if you wanted to, until you had your cabinet.

youve gotta be careful though, if your using a tube amp that doesnt have a speaker load on it (a cab) then it could damage it badly, and even if you use the line out on the amp theres still gotta be a cab hooked up
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
(I love doing this now)

Answer the blue questions in the sig, and your dreams will come true.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
youve gotta be careful though, if your using a tube amp that doesnt have a speaker load on it (a cab) then it could damage it badly, and even if you use the line out on the amp theres still gotta be a cab hooked up

That doesn't just pertain to tube heads. ALL head-based amplifiers work like that. You must have a speaker cabinet of matching or (in the case of solid state) higher impedance otherwise you WILL damage the head. Usually fatally.

A head alone produces NO sound. It needs a speaker cabinet of matching impedance, with enough wattage to not be damaged by the head.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."