Hey guys I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, and just last christmas I got my baby, my gibson sg. I was really leery about messing around with it because I didn't want to break it so when I re-strung it, I just cleaned and slapped the strings on. Now I'm curious as what would happen if I raised or lowered my action, tweaked the pick ups a little, also if there are any tips for stringing to get the best sound out of my sg? How would it affect the sound? I play a lot of punk, pop-punk, classic metal (like maiden), some classic rock, and slowly starting to move into other genres. Its just sitting right next to me and I don't want to hurt her lol XD. So if any of you could give any tips I would greatly appreciate it guys!
only adjust the action if yer unhappy with it.
as far as stringing goes, i always try and get the string wound at least 3 times around the pole, i think it makes them last longer and stay in tune better. other than that, it's really down to the type of strings yer using.

You might want to try uncovering yer pickups if they're covered, that can give you a different sound. There's all sorts of things you can do to modify your guitar, but i think you should identify a problem you have with it, or a need it doesn't fulfill before you go changing anything.
In addition to what Babbs said, you could raise or lower the pickups. Moving them closer to the strings will give a louder, more aggresive sound.

Also, if you want some different sounds, play around with your tone and volume knobs. All too often I see guitarists who just leave them at 10 and call it good.
I haven't changed the pickups on it since I got it. Its pretty sad that I don't exactly know what they are, but if I am correct they are alnico 490s, the defaults that come with a faded sg i think? But is there anything I could do with them that could make my sound pack more of a punch, like when I play rythm, if you understand what I'm trying to get at?
Quote by Nite_storm
I haven't changed the pickups on it since I got it. Its pretty sad that I don't exactly know what they are, but if I am correct they are alnico 490s, the defaults that come with a faded sg i think? But is there anything I could do with them that could make my sound pack more of a punch, like when I play rythm, if you understand what I'm trying to get at?

Raise them as high as you can without any buzz. Hold down the 22nd fret while you raise them to make sure they won't cause any trouble. To raise them, turn the little screws next to the pickups to the right, IIRC.
The humbucker closest to the bridge is already raised pretty close to the strings, the second one is pushed down so I don't know if I should raise the second?
Uncovering them also gets you a more aggressive sound, I've heard.
Quote by Babbs

You are correct, but the SG Faded has open pickups to begin with.
Quote by Nite_storm
The humbucker closest to the bridge is already raised pretty close to the strings, the second one is pushed down so I don't know if I should raise the second?

If you don't think it has enough punch, sure. It's not like you can't lower them back if you don't like it.

I advise doing this while the guitar is plugged in and the amp is running. Then you can tweak it and find the perfect spot for them.
Quote by Babbs

im sorry im such a newbie at this but how do I know if they are covered or not, and how would I uncover them? I have alnico 490s, just checked?
Quote by Nite_storm
im sorry im such a newbie at this but how do I know if they are covered or not, and how would I uncover them? I have alnico 490s, just checked?

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/prs/mccarty/mcc_kor_127444.jpg

That guitar has covered pickups.

This one has uncovered pickups: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Gibson_SG_Special_Faded.jpg
Quote by ze monsta
I wrap my strings over the stop tail, round the back. It makes it spongier, and easier to bend.

This is called top-wrapping, BTW. Lenny Kravitz, Jimmy Page, and Zakk Wylde are all known to do it.
Depends on the cover material, really. I forget what metals affect what though.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300