Hello everyone!

I've recently really got into the song Ball and Biscuit by the White Stripes. And I was thinking... This song is really hard to follow! I get scales and stuff, yet only at a Rockschool Grade 3 level.

I know Jack White uses a DigiTech Whammy, which I havn't got... But I was wondering how to improvise a solo over this song, with it sounding good.

I was wondering what key this song is in? The tab (Ball and Biscuit) shows his fingers are moving all over the fret board really...

Could anyone give me some advice in how to get my solos to sound like this? Or how to know exactly where to move my fingers when soloing? Most of the scales I use keep your hand in one position, but it seems you're going from the 17th fret on one string to the 10th on another...

Hopefully all that made sense, sorry if it didn't
Quote by The Gore Child
Hello everyone!

I've recently really got into the song Ball and Biscuit by the White Stripes. And I was thinking... This song is really hard to follow! I get scales and stuff, yet only at a Rockschool Grade 3 level.

I know Jack White uses a DigiTech Whammy, which I havn't got... But I was wondering how to improvise a solo over this song, with it sounding good.

I was wondering what key this song is in? The tab (Ball and Biscuit) shows his fingers are moving all over the fret board really...

Could anyone give me some advice in how to get my solos to sound like this? Or how to know exactly where to move my fingers when soloing? Most of the scales I use keep your hand in one position, but it seems you're going from the 17th fret on one string to the 10th on another...

Hopefully all that made sense, sorry if it didn't

If you translate it by the strings you can make a 10 on one a 15 or 20 on another. Bends and pinch harmonics make solos sound awesome. Pinchies for forceful ones and bends for anything.
Last edited by Dio10101 at Nov 22, 2008,
It's in G, or at least the riff is.

And without a whammy pedal it'll sound pretty rubbish, because you won't be able to get that strained, screech that makes the solos as powerful as they are, especially in contrast to the riff.

Try using alot of volume and distortion, sticking to the higher notes, maybe with the treble up higher than one would usually consider orthodox.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by snazzyness
I would guess the key is E. Try a blues scale in E.

E minor pentationic, G major pentatonic, same difference.

Edit: Blues scale, even.

Quote by TheBurningFish
E minor pentationic, G major pentatonic, same difference.

Edit: Blues scale, even.

Yeah

Try bending the stings he does a lot of that.
Nothing against the man or anything but Advanced Techniques? Really?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing against the man or anything but Advanced Techniques? Really?

Ah... Sorry, I didn't know where to put it. Thought it fit into Musician Talk... Then saw Advanced Techniques, since the question is about scales and stuff.

So I'm using the blues scale?
Quote by The Gore Child
Ah... Sorry, I didn't know where to put it. Thought it fit into Musician Talk... Then saw Advanced Techniques, since the question is about scales and stuff.

So I'm using the blues scale?

Yes in G Major/E Minor.

http://jguitar.com/scale?root=E&scale=Blues&fret=0&labels=none&notes=sharps

you could add a little bit of flange and some wah wah, if you have that.
And the treble up (of course)

It would sound pretty interesting.

also really attack the strings, put alot of emotion and power in to playing,
like the way jack does.