Hello!

Hopefully you own a Boss Me-50 and can answer me some questions about it...

Does this effects pedal have a fuzzy setting? I'm really interested in Fuzz Factories and Big Muff's (Yes, I did just tell you I'm really interested in big muffs ). I'm into Rage Against The Machine, Muse, Radiohead and the White Stripes, so I was wondering if I could get it to sound like the bass solo from Exit Music by Radiohead for example, or Little Acorns by White Stripes... lots of stuff by Muse has fuzzy effects too.

Thanks for reading!
There are 3 modes/models: Big Muff ('Muff'), Face Fuzz ('Fuzz') and Octafuzz ('OctFuzz').

While not as good as the actual things - as is the case with digital effects - they are passable. For the price of the unit, it's not that bad actually.

Hope that helped
The ME-50 is awful for distortion/overdrive/fuzz. It's an excellent multi effects pedal for everything else but you'll have to use a separate pedal for distortion if you want it to sound any good.
Quote by hellview_666
There are 3 modes/models: Big Muff ('Muff'), Face Fuzz ('Fuzz') and Octafuzz ('OctFuzz').

While not as good as the actual things - as is the case with digital effects - they are passable. For the price of the unit, it's not that bad actually.

Hope that helped

Cheers... this helped loads but the above post made me kinda nervous...
Quote by The Gore Child
Cheers... this helped loads but the above post made me kinda nervous...

I don't blame you - the distortion isn't top notch obviously...Line 6 is probably a better bet tonaly (but I never get on with Line 6 stuff much).

In honesty, get a Big Muff and save up for a Whammy or whatever Matt Ballemy uses - works out cheaper I think...but for a multi-effects, the ME-50 isn't as bad as some people make out.
Yeah.. I'm getting it at Christmas see.. So I think I'd get the Whammy 4 aswell. It's just most of the stuff I listen to has fuzz in it.. It's probably the only thing I can't get my Roland Cube 30x to do!
Humm, my "friend" who has been a guitarist longer than me is trying to talk me out of this. He says the Me-50 could do anything the other two pedals do.. And apparently "I'm not a famous guitarist and I'm not in a band, so I shouldn't need the best stuff".

Hmm.
So now I'm totally at a loss as to what to do. As I would want the Me-50 for the Wah and such... But as I've said, I'm really interested in Whammy effects and Big Muff fuzz... So... Heh, I dunno.
I own it.

I am actually thinking about finding myself a distortion pedal to replace the distortion on it. The modulation and delay effects are better than the distortion and the wah is decent too.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Hmm, I'd definately want a Whammy pedal AS WELL as the Me-50? Is this recommended? Can it do fuzz or distortion well? I have a Cube 30X that does distortion real well, but no fuzz...
hey guys

i have a question

I just bought the ME 50 and i made my own guitar sounds and saved them successfully. the only problem is when i try to use them on memory mode with my band the pedal wont let me turn off any of the effects without having one on. so for example im playing a guitar part that uses the vibrato affect that i custom made and saved, i cant just press the vibrato effect switch to turn it off, i can only switch to a different effect.

do you guys understand?
Quote by The Gore Child
Hmm, I'd definately want a Whammy pedal AS WELL as the Me-50? Is this recommended? Can it do fuzz or distortion well? I have a Cube 30X that does distortion real well, but no fuzz...

A Big Muff would probably be quite good for you, but don't worry about the whammy too much at this stage. The pitch shifting on the ME-50 isn't that much worse than a proper whammy anyway! Just use the +1 octave setting and you'll be in Muse heaven.
Ibanez GAX50
Epiphone Valve Junior
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Saving for:

*Line 6 Echo Park delay
Quote by coleprediger
hey guys

i have a question

I just bought the ME 50 and i made my own guitar sounds and saved them successfully. the only problem is when i try to use them on memory mode with my band the pedal wont let me turn off any of the effects without having one on. so for example im playing a guitar part that uses the vibrato affect that i custom made and saved, i cant just press the vibrato effect switch to turn it off, i can only switch to a different effect.

do you guys understand?

The only way to turn it off is to select another patch or bypass (but bypass gets you out of the patchbays...).
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Tonerider British Distortion
Tonerider American Overdrive
Boss DD7
Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker
Treble Booster.
I had a Boss ME-50 and the effects are kinda cool, but the wah is awful, and so is the distortion/overdrive.
I own an ME-50 too.

The Fuzz settings are the best in the "Overdrive/Distortion" section, most of the other types of OD/DS are pretty poor. Although a proper Fuzz Pedal would be better.

I'm looking at a Fuzz Factory myself right now, but i wouldn't recomend that for you as the maker of the pedal himself has said that its made to perform best through a tube amp.

The Whammy settings (Octate up, Octave Down) are really good, use use it alot for RATM style stuff.

Oh and the ME-50 "Wah" is really poor, not that it bothers me i dont really use "Wah" anyways.

Plus with the ME-50 you get the Modulation and Delay effects too, which are really the best thing about it IMO.

However, I'm personally looking to invest in some singular pedals, the original idea being to replace my ME-50.

But due to how much it would cost to buy a pedal for every function I use on the ME-50, in reality i will be keeping my ME-50 for quite some time while I slowly make my way through buying single pedals.

It depends on how much you will use all the different effects, you get alot for your money with an ME-50, but you could argue you sacrifice quality and tweakability.

I personally use my ME-50 for Normal Fuzz, Octave Fuzz, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, Whammy, Wah (Even tho its rubbish =p), Compressor, Volume Control, Tuner.

I also found It a great stepping stone to help me unserstand what effects I like / Can use.

(Wow that turned into an essay eh?)
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Hmm.. To the dude above me, I have no idea what kind of effects I'd use. Obviously, the whammy type effects and fuzz effects.. Probably use the wah stuff too... Hmm, you've really got me thinking now! If the fuzz is pretty decent on the Me-50, I guess that's alright, but I'm guessing the only other thing I majorly need it for is the wah... Which you've said isn't up to scratch (I use a killswitch in the same way Morello does, so Wah would be VERY useful!). My friend's (already mentioned) argument is that he says why buy all the individual pedals if you can just get the Me-50 to do it all...

What is the problem with the wah on the Me-50? I've also heard that the octave settings ain't that good... so I'm pretty set on getting the Digitech Whammy...

Cheers for all your replys so far!
Well.... the wah... I'm not very big on Wah as I said before, but yeah... its just kinda weak sounding. I'm sure theres someone who can describe the ME-50s Wah flaws better than me.

I personally love the octave stuff on the ME-50. I've never used the Digi Whammy to compare, but i think the ME-50 one does a great job.

Listen to the guitar work in Bullet in The Head by Rage Against The Machine, I can do that kinda stuff with the ME-50 and my amps overdrive channel no trouble. (Not bang on but pretty damn close).

You should deffo go out and try one if you can, because i was unsure if it was worth it. I played about with one at a local music shop for near to an hour and decided I could deffinitly use alooot of the stuff on it =)
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
I've heard the Whammy is THE octave pedal. Hmm, I'd be using the wah for stuff like Bulls on Parade, and killswitch solos. I don't think my local music scene has the Me-50... They're all faschists in there anyways, but I'll ask.
Quote by bicko19
The only way to turn it off is to select another patch or bypass (but bypass gets you out of the patchbays...).

So am i basically screwed and need to sell it?
Hmm... Here's my 2 cents. I've got the me-50 and have been using it for occasional gigs but I have another gig coming up this week. Our playing is sounding pretty good so I'm starting to think that the me-50 is the only weak link. It's still a fun peddle and not bad for the money but you have to be careful how you use it. Anyway, here it is in a nutshel:

Distortion - Just passable if you keep 'tone modify' on 'off'. If you set it to 'fat' or pretty much anything else, it sounds pretty bad, especially if you're playing a nice guitar through a nice amp. I've been using it for a little overdrive but I'm thinking of borrowing a peddle instead this time around.

The second mod, with chorus and flanger, etc. - Fun to play with all the different sounds but they're a little weak and I'm not going to bother. Better to use amp effects or separate peddles.

The delay... I'm happy enough with at the moment

People have said the wah sucks. I think it's fine on clean but it doesn't work with distortion.

The reverb effects are NOT very good. I've gotten much better from much cheaper throw-away peddles. The compresion is not very good either.

Bottom line: Figure out what you want. When I bought it, I wasn't sure what I wanted. It has heaps of effects and if you want a whole lot and don't have heaps of cash then the me-50 is a good deal. But if you just want distortion and wah and you want a good sound for gigs, don't bother with this one.
Here's my opinion on the ME-50's as i've owned and used it for a few years.

The wah 'range' is not very wide, i find it doesn't really wuuuaaaahh out like a crybaby or something. I find that when used with distortion, sometimes you get very little wah. On clean its abit more decent. Overall, it still is a decent wah considering its a multi effects unit.

As for other features, for distortion, the 'muff' setting sounds pretty nice, and is my favourite setting on small solid state practice amps. (I dont use distortion on tube) I dont use the tone modify option coz i dont like it much. The noise gate is really really cool and it certainly eliminates alot of noise.

Now for the modulations. The phaser, chorus(chorus and stereo chorus) and flanger sound very nice. The only downside is you can only have one modulation turned on at one time. Delay is also pretty good.

So basically, i think the me-50 is good if your starting out with some small gigs and stuff. Later on you could work your way up and buy some single stompboxes like a previous user posted.
Thank you for the above two comments! They were very useful!

So... I could get one of two items...

Item I: Boss Me-50 - £145

Item II: Dititech Whammy - £121
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal - £55
Electroharmonix Big Muff - £60

Total - £236.

It's alot of money if I go for the individual option... Meaning I probably wouldn't be able to buy them all in one go.