Poll: Could allied commanders be potentially guilty of war crimes?
Poll Options
View poll results: Could allied commanders be potentially guilty of war crimes?
Yes
62 37%
No
41 24%
Maybe
39 23%
Don't know
27 16%
Voters: 169.
Page 1 of 4
After reading alot about WWII today, ive wondered this question. Some people argue that attrocities were commited by the allies and that they could potentially be guilty of war crimes.

Pit, your thoughts?
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Sounds like the Nuremburg (Sp? maybe?) Trials.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
The Allies did NOTHING compared to some of the stuff the Axis leaders did, that's why they were tried.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Possibly, but they were nowhere near as worse as what the Germans and Japanese did.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
what is with the WWII threads today? seriously.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

The Allies probably did treat their captives like ****. Let's face it though, they won. End of story.
legaly... yes, will they be? probably not.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by BostonLP
The Allies did NOTHING compared to some of the stuff the Axis leaders did, that's why they were tried.

Yeah, the Nazis really outshined any other evil bastards that might have been lurking around at the time.
probably, generally every side in a conflict could be tried for war crimes, but only the losing side ever is, it's called victors justice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
They should also have been tried, as usual the victors are exalted and the defeated vicitmised even more. This trend has been pretty much in existence throughout human history.
Hmm when you think about it, will we ever know what went on... i mean behind closed door's, like they had camp's in germany... but the media painted a diffrent picture's...

our world is basically viewed/ judged by what the mass media report/ are told to report by government's, they arent directly controlled by governments per say, but they are limited by censorship and red tape etc etc.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
One could actually argue that the Japanese were much crueler than the Nazis were in WWII.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by thedudemeister
Possibly, but they were nowhere near as worse as what the Germans and Japanese did.

Dresden?
Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Come on. They were all as bad as each other. When a conflict escalates like that people do evil things.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
not true aaciseric, stalin killed more but it was more covert than hitler
god loves the working man. unfortunately, that puts me in deep crap.

you sir, may c*m blood, but i sh*t diamonds, guess which is more painful. especially after curry.

+ =
Quote by MetalMessiah665
One could actually argue that the Japanese were much crueler than the Nazis were in WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
History is written by the winners, to quote Churchill "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it." If the Axis had won the War then allied Commanders would have undoubtedly been tried for war crimes, a crime is only a perception after all.
can anybody give me a link to the wikipedia article that says that the japanese did all sorts of weird stuff to their prisoners,like taking of their stomachs
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Dresden?
Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Come on. They were all as bad as each other. When a conflict escalates like that people do evil things.

I know, but they weren't as bad as each other. Nazis willingly executed 6 million Jews, guilty of genocide. I don't condone the use of the atomic bomb, or targeting civillians, but at the end of the day, they are effectively collateral damage.

Although they weren't as bad as Stalin, he was pretty twisted.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
Well, my house was built by German prisoners of war...
No doubt some of the prisoners were treated badly.

Also, not all German leaders were cruel torturers.
Rommel for example.

The Afrika Korps was never accused of any war crimes, and Rommel himself referred to the fighting in North Africa as Krieg ohne Hass—war without hate. Numerous examples exist of Rommel's chivalry towards Allied POWs, such as his defiance of Hitler's infamous Commando Order following the capture of Lt. Roy Woodridge and Lt. George Lane as part of Operation Fortitude, as well as his refusal to comply with an order from Hitler to execute Jewish POWs. During Rommel's time in France, Hitler ordered him to deport the Jews in France; Rommel disobeyed the order. Several times, he wrote letters protesting the treatment of the Jews. When British Major Geoffrey Keyes was killed during a failed Commando raid to kill or capture Rommel behind German lines, Rommel ordered him buried with full military honours. Also, during the construction of the Atlantic Wall, Rommel directed that French workers were not to be used as slaves, but were to be paid for their labor.
Theres been massive controversy over the allied bombing runs on Dresden and other areas of Germany and the guy that commanded it, and of course theres the moral issues surrounding the atom bombs. I'm not sure if anyone's ever been tried though. As mentioned, victors justice as well as the atrocities of the Nazis and the overall horror of that kind of war somewhat block the ideas.

If you asked someone whats worse, 100,00 dead civilians in a night of wartime bombing or several years of secret genocidal death camps, I would think Hitler's rarely going to come off best.
ABBA
Quote by BostonLP

thats ****in horrible
but as it has been said you cant measure atrocities. hiroshima was filled with innocents too.
WW2 was horrible. i dont know who should be trialed but i hope those guys ^ were
I think most people can agree that what Imperial Japan and the Nazis did far outstrips whatever the allies did in terms of its cruelty.

But if you look at the law, the fact that some sicko kills 20 people doesn't stop a one time murderer from being a criminal also.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Quote by wasssup
not true aaciseric, stalin killed more but it was more covert than hitler

Fair enough but the Nazis still outshined the other evil bastards because it was much more publsized due to them being defeated. It seems to be that the worse a dictator is the more their actions are downplayed throughout history, for instance Vlad Tepes was one of the cruelest people in history but very few people know of his crimes.
No, we won, so we decide who to try. Also, comparatively speaking, anything the allies did pales in comparison to both Japanese and German warcrimes.
Quote by Brasseye81
They should also have been tried, as usual the victors are exalted and the defeated vicitmised even more. This trend has been pretty much in existence throughout human history.

The defeated did a lot of bad things. As far as I know, the Allies didn't have a Dr. Mengele.
They could of been, if they lost. But they won.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
Considering Russia is allied many of them could have been for how they treated POWs, I could see the Nuke argued into it.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Yes, they should have been tried for war crimes as well.

For example, the Russians were responsible for horrible crimes on German soil. One could argue they just wanted revenge for what the Wehrmacht did to them, but that still does not in any way justify executions of surrendering soldiers and prisoners, and rape and various other horrible crimes commited against women and children.

Something the Red Army was very much guilty of, but this was somehow ignored after the war. Because after all, they won. They could just keep sending people to work camps in Siberia where they suffered enormously. Out of the 91 000 German prisoners taken at Stalingrad, less than six-thousand returned home alive!

From 1934 to 1953, over a million people died in Gulag (the so called work-camps). But the Soviet Union was on the winning side, and these things could continue after the war.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by tayroar
Considering Russia is allied many of them could have been for how they treated POWs, I could see the Nuke argued into it.

America didn't exactly threat it's prisoners wonderfully either.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by pak1351
No, we won, so we decide who to try. Also, comparatively speaking, anything the allies did pales in comparison to both Japanese and German warcrimes.

But even though it "pales in comparison", a war crime is still a war crime. You can't ignore it simply because somebody else did something classified as "worse".
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
I'd say no, because:
1. Most of them are dead, and it would be a pointless exercise
2. The winners always decide what was legal

But frankly anyone who thinks the Allied soldiers were all paladins, resplendant in their saintly virtue is a f*cking idiot.
Actually, what would you consider to be a war crime?

Personally I see it as a breach of one of the 5 "rules" of war. I can't really see that the allies, apart from Stalin, actually broke those.
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Hate humans? Click here
Most of them are dead.

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by aaciseric
Fair enough but the Nazis still outshined the other evil bastards because it was much more publsized due to them being defeated. It seems to be that the worse a dictator is the more their actions are downplayed throughout history, for instance Vlad Tepes was one of the cruelest people in history but very few people know of his crimes.

Not true the reason Vlad the Impaler isn't well known is because he doesn't really apply to many country's histories. I wouldn't say either Hitler nor Stalin was more evil, evil is really the motivation of your crimes, not the success of it.

Quote by Demon Wolf
But even though it "pales in comparison", a war crime is still a war crime. You can't ignore it simply because somebody else did something classified as "worse".

Yes you can, it is done all the time.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Most of them are dead.

/thread.

Pretty much. I'm not really interested in debating the morality of the men of yesteryear. Learn from them, sure, but I don't care to judge them.

In legal terms, though, they totally could've been guilty if brought to trial.
Quote by tayroar
Not true the reason Vlad the Impaler isn't well known is because he doesn't really apply to many country's histories. I wouldn't say either Hitler nor Stalin was more evil, evil is really the motivation of your crimes, not the success of it.

Yes you can, it is done all the time.

True, but that still does not change the fact that war crimes were done by the Allies, which is what the topic question was.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Page 1 of 4