Okay so as some have seen in my last thread, my dad and I customized my old peavey guitar and made it awesome. My only problem with it now is that the action really pisses me off. I've been fiddling with it for the last 2 days, and in order to get no fret buzz, it has to be up pretty high. I don't know the standards, but I've included some pictures. Let me know if this is dangerously high or something. Anyways. So at one point I brought it down. I got a bit of fret buzz but it was sooo much easier to play and shred etc. I hate not being able to practise my fast stuff on ti because of high action, so is there anything I can do? It is strung up with Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom Ernie Ball strings as of right now.

Here are the pictures of the action of the guitar right now. Let me know if something is wrong. I have a sneaking suspicion something's out of whack, especially since the action seems fine at the first couple frets but up at the twelve it feels ridiculously high. Almost so that it's really hard to tap and get the notes out nicely.

I just want my guitar to be shredworthy but not buzz!

(I apologize for picture size.)
Here's a shot of the bridge.

Another bridge shot.

12th Fret.

First few frets. (alliteration FTW!)

Beyond the 12th fret.

Help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Is there any possibility that it's just the string gauge I'm using? It didn't seem as bad when I was just using 10's, and 11's were great except for the fact that they felt too thick and I couldn't play as fast as a result..
Last edited by Sticky Tissues at Nov 22, 2008,
yer truss rod needs ajusting i think, what gauge have you got in the photo?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
You should get a shot down the neck. My guess is that your neck is warped or out of adjustment.
IdirtI

I sold my Parker Nitefly, Line 6 POD X3 Live and Crate Powerblock on Ebay. I'm depressed about it, so if I'm grumpy, that's why. = (
In the photo I've got 10-52 I think? They're Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom. I can get a shot down the neck. I'll put it in the next post.
u need to adjust your truss rod, if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself tack it to a ocal store it should be like 25-30 bucks

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Okay. I checked the Guitar Setup thread and did the test where you fret the first fret and the very last fret on the low E and on the 7 to 9 frets it was laying on the fretwire, and the thread says that means the neck doesn't have enough bend. So this means the problem wasn't the action, it was the trussrod/neck?

I guess I'll have to take it into my local shop or something.

Is there any possibility I could do it myself?
(EDIT) need to see the edge of the neck from the headstock to the body to see if its bowed, cant really tell from the pic looking down the center
cool, still from the same angle looking down but slightly to one side so your looking down the neck still but can see the edge of the fingerboard if that makes sense
I have the EXACT same problem, but i think its the nut. my neck is razor straight. is it supposed to be that way?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
The way to tell if the nuts cut right is as follows-

Fret a note on the 2nd fret and you should just be able to get a rizzla paper under the gap between the 1st fret and the bottom of the string. If theres a big gap its cut too high and this can have a knock on effect further up the neck too, if its touching at the first fret its cut a touch too low.

If the nut seems fine then the truss rod might need a little adjustment either way.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Nov 22, 2008,
looks pretty straight to me, you really need to take it to someone in that case. If you cant lower the action at the bridge any more without buzzing or choking then its best looked at by someone who's more clued up. That nut does look a little high from that angle though . . . . . . .
Nah, its the bridge that needs to come down, that neck looks fine.

That 52 on the bottom doesnt look seated right in the nut slot either, it is a tads high. You can see how the other strings sit below th top of the nut but that one sits much higher and it'll effect that action all the way up the neck. Check the nut how I said and see what its like.

A little buzz is normal with low actions so take it down a little more, so long as it doesnt come through when its amped up then its no big problem.

A trip to you local luthier it looks like though.
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Nov 22, 2008,
So what should I ask them? Should i just ask for a setup and tell him that when I adjusted the action to get it not to buzz, it was too high? Then i should ask him to file the nut? I could probably do that part myself.

Maybe I could try with the nut and then take it to get setup.
Either you need to shim the nut or give the neck a neck angle, am i right?
Or yeah just lower the bridge but thats not going to do anything about string buzz, all guitars have string buzz when the action is low, its normal
sticky, it's a little hard to read the thread because of the oversized pics but,

if you want to ask a truss rod question, feel free to post in the set up thread.
if the string is on sitting on the middle frets, then you can probably do with a 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.
dont force the turn and know that, that's a very small amount.
leave the guitar in tune, while it settles.

no matter how straight the neck is, you might have a high fret thowing off the whole neck.
so adding a little bend will help.
where the buzz is, what strings and frets, will determine how much a neck adjustment will help.

after you let the guitar settle tonight, remeasure and repost if you want
Jen
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
sticky, it's a little hard to read the thread because of the oversized pics but,

if you want to ask a truss rod question, feel free to post in the set up thread.
if the string is on sitting on the middle frets, then you can probably do with a 1/4 turn Counter clockwise.
dont force the turn and know that, that's a very small amount.
leave the guitar in tune, while it settles.

no matter how straight the neck is, you might have a high fret thowing off the whole neck.
so adding a little bend will help.
where the buzz is, what strings and frets, will determine how much a neck adjustment will help.

after you let the guitar settle tonight, remeasure and repost if you want
Jen

I might just do that. I filed down the nut a bit by using an old low e string. It sits a little lower now, but I don't think it's completely fixed it. Doing that to the truss rod will probably do the trick. Then i can lower the action back to where it's comfortable and everything will be a-okay?
Quote by Sticky Tissues
I might just do that. I filed down the nut a bit by using an old low e string. It sits a little lower now, but I don't think it's completely fixed it. Doing that to the truss rod will probably do the trick. Then i can lower the action back to where it's comfortable and everything will be a-okay?

yeah, also, please make an upward cut, when filing a nut slot.

from headstock up to fretboard, or you might make new problems for yourself.

if you need more help, and i dont see this thread just click and post in the set up thread link in my sig. i've got an email notification on that one.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011