Page 1 of 3
This week, the U.S. National Intelligence Council released their global trends report. It basically said that by 2025, the U.S.A. would still be the worlds single most important player, but that economic dominance would increasingly shift towards Russia, China, India, and to a lesser extent, Brazil. This would contribute to these countries influence increasing significantly on the world stage.

Looking through history, no powers last as a global hegemon forever, and that made me think, how long do you think the U.S.A. will still be the dominant world power and who do you think the next superpower(s) will be and why.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Until war screw you over
It happened to us (UK)
It'll happen again
Someone random will invade
and you guys will be demoted in the world's eye
What I just said is a lie.
i really dont think China would over take the U.S. that soon...they depend so much on exports/imports from us...we basically fund that country with everything they buy from us so it would be bad for china to over take us economically...just my opinion with no research what so ever
Who cares, either way in 20 years time, USA, Russia, China, even the UK, will still be making empty threats at one another.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
Until war screw you over
It happened to us (UK)
It'll happen again

invade the U.S? i seriously doubt that will happen by 2025 or 2040
Quote by hownowbrowncow
Until war screw you over
It happened to us (UK)
It'll happen again

I highly doubt anyone would try to invade the US any time in the remotely near future.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Venom5.0

If by 2040, noone has invaded the USA

I'll admit I'm wrong and owe you a favour
What I just said is a lie.
Quote by Venom5.0
i really dont think China would over take the U.S. that soon...they depend so much on exports/imports from us...we basically fund that country with everything they buy from us so it would be bad for china to over take us economically...just my opinion with no research what so ever

Quote by Venom5.0

Yeah it isn't that unlikely, considering how much ground a plane can cover.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Going by my schedule, The Dominion Of The Supreme Ruler(me), ought to be surpassing the USA by 2020.
Or at least it would have if John Sargent hadn't dropped out of Strictly... Damn him!
china would **** us all up now
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
Quote by tayroar

we have pretty good defenses against that, not to mention how impractical it would be to get a force large enough to do serious damage to us over here by plane.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Venom5.0
we'll basically fund that country when we pay our debts off to them

Fix'd
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
until the US, chinese, russian or any other country can pull their **** together and stop war and terrorism and all that crap, i refuse them any title that has superpower in it.
god loves the working man. unfortunately, that puts me in deep crap.

you sir, may c*m blood, but i sh*t diamonds, guess which is more painful. especially after curry.

+ =
I am a believer in the 2012 prediction *flame shield*. I honestly think that within the next couple years, China or Russia will make a move of some sort to gain more power. If China decides its time that the US pay them back for the ****load of money we owe them then the US is beyond ****ed. And going around starting wars will bite the US in the ass, look at the Roman empire, they expanded their empire so far that it eventually collapsed b/c resources were stretched so thin.
Quote by Black Zeppelin
The US will be the superpower for a while because of our advanced military

that means **** all though, british empire where militarily far superior to anything. Now after 2 big ass wars, if were honest, britain has little influence on the global stage.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
By that time oil in the mideast will run out.

US will still have its reserves

????

Profit!
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by tayroar

but really? a full out invasion from any of the superpowers would just take a massive amt of resources...not to mention missile defense systems...thats just highly unlikely
NUKE BRAZIL! they're so.. non-beinginvolved with usual world issues
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by roythereaper
Fix'd

even with the debt you cant say it would be good for China to overtake the U.S. it just doesnt make any sense to me
Quote by Venom5.0

History shows us that it is normally the producer/creditor country that ends up taking economic eminence. Not so long ago, the USA was the country that was producing tons of products and selling it to the super powers. Also we were the country that was loaning money to the world. It was how we came to become the economic superpower. It seems that now the roles are reversed.

Quote by hownowbrowncow
If by 2040, noone has invaded the USA

I'll admit I'm wrong and owe you a favour

The logistics alone of invading the USA are mind-boggling. Getting the necessary amount of troops over either of the Oceans in order to not just invade the States but to quell the inevitable popular uprisings would be both extremely difficult and prohitively expensive. Even if it were managed, America has (arguably) the most powerful military with the most powerful weapons. There is a reason we spend more money on Defense than on Education. To make sure it stays that way. The fight that both the military and the populace of this country would put up in order to maintain it's freedom would be enough to stay any megalomaniacal (or otherwise) leader's hand. Not only that, there is a reason we keep military bases around the world. I am sure that by 2040, the number of those bases will have decreased significantly, but not significantly enough to prevent any military aggresiveness on American soil to be dealt with an a frighteningly ruthless manner in very short notice.

I don't see any invasion on American soil occuring anywhere near 2040.

All of that being said, you never know what crazy **** could happen.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.

我会说中文,你呢?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Seryaph

The logistics alone of invading the USA are mind-boggling. Getting the necessary amount of troops over either of the Oceans in order to not just invade the States but to quell the inevitable popular uprisings would be both extremely difficult and prohitively expensive. Even if it were managed, America has (arguably) the most powerful military with the most powerful weapons. There is a reason we spend more money on Defense than on Education. To make sure it stays that way. The fight that both the military and the populace of this country would put up in order to maintain it's freedom would be enough to stay any megalomaniacal (or otherwise) leader's hand. Not only that, there is a reason we keep military bases around the world. I am sure that by 2040, the number of those bases will have decreased significantly, but not significantly enough to prevent any military aggresiveness on American soil to be dealt with an a frighteningly ruthless manner in very short notice.

I don't see any invasion on American soil occuring anywhere near 2040.

All of that being said, you never know what crazy **** could happen.

The thing is China wouldn't really care about being seen. China has been renowned for sending people out in wars to just get killed while the real forces attack. China has enough people to spare to sacrifice a lot of lives to get to American shores. Since China is communist their leaders can just force the people to go fight. The world is at the mercy of China's will.
Actually, the next superpower will be the giant space ants.
I'd like to lead the welcome of our new insect overlords, and remind them that, as a trusted media personality, I could be useful in organising work parties for the sugar mines.
Quote by MightyAl
Going by my schedule, The Dominion Of The Supreme Ruler(me), ought to be surpassing the USA by 2020.
Or at least it would have if John Sargent hadn't dropped out of Strictly... Damn him!

He was part of your world domination scheme too?!?!

High Five!
Quote by Seryaph
History shows us that it is normally the producer/creditor country that ends up taking economic eminence. Not so long ago, the USA was the country that was producing tons of products and selling it to the super powers. Also we were the country that was loaning money to the world. It was how we came to become the economic superpower. It seems that now the roles are reversed.
You restore my faith in intelligent thinking in The Pit.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by in2thesun88
The thing is China wouldn't really care about being seen. China has been renowned for sending people out in wars to just get killed while the real forces attack. China has enough people to spare to sacrifice a lot of lives to get to American shores. Since China is communist their leaders can just force the people to go fight. The world is at the mercy of China's will.

But the Chinese would only do that if they were convinced that they would win in the end.

Lets look at the scenario.

Lets say that the Chinese military sends a significant task force to invade the United States by plane. They do this over the Pacific Ocean. When their planes get anywhere remotely near our airspace, our Air Force would be mobilized with catastrophic results for any significant airborne troop mobilization. And while all of that is going on, the FUCK TON of troops we have in South Korea, Japan, India, and I believe, Thailand would invade China.

That kind of a war is NOT lucrative for any country anywhere. Even though this entire scenario is based off of assumptions and modern day thinking. I just don't see anything like this happening, not, at least, with the way things are today.

I completely disagree tha the entire world is at the mercy of China's will.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by in2thesun88

LOL

You don't know what you're talking about. And I completely agree with Seryaph. Any military historian or tactician will tell you it's pretty impossible with our current means. Sure, maybe they could get enough resources to the U.S. if we just sat around and let them. But that's the last thing we're doing.

Probably the most feasible invasion would come from South America up through Central America and Cuba. But any attack coming that way would have to have naval superiority just like anyone invading North America from any direction would. Not to mention we'd have air superiority in any kind of invasion, and we will for many many years to come. Any invading air force, present or future, would have a fundamental disadvantage.

It's basicly impossible.

EDIT: Of course the rest of the world could besiege/embargo the U.S. That's about the only way it could possibly happen. And still, it's not like we have absolutely no resources here - it's an entire continent.
We're only strays.
All great powers fall sooner or later. Happened to Persia, Rome, Britain, others.

Will we fall? Maybe. Anytime soon? I really really really doubt it.
Quote by MightyAl
Actually, the next superpower will be the giant space ants.
I'd like to lead the welcome of our new insect overlords, and remind them that, as a trusted media personality, I could be useful in organising work parties for the sugar mines.

ahahahahaha classic.

MightAl you made my day!
Member of the Guitarists Born in 1990 Club. PM Gibson_God11 to join

Member of the I have every metallica album and I love it!
club. PM BDR_23 to join

www.myspace.com/shepherdjoe

X
Quote by Seryaph
I completely disagree tha the entire world is at the mercy of China's will.
militarily, not now. at the mercy of their economic will, maybe soon.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Yeah, it would be pretty embarrassing for China if they haven't surpassed us economically by 2025/2040. Mainly based on our vulnerability right now.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It is possible that America will bounce back from our current depression with an even better economy.
We're only strays.
All I'm saying is China has the people to spare. Sure we have weapons, but they have people. Not to mention the allies they would have. If China did make a move then Iran and N. Korea, who have nuclear weapons, would band together with them and we'd be ****ed. All that would happen is nuclear war. So from that aspect China would probably rethink their motives. Ultimately, I think China is content with taking us over bit by bit economically.
if the Economy keeps going the way it is right now then yea the U.S. has some horrible times ahead. if we pull through like we did in the Depression 80 years ago, we'll be okay. but to do this the people running America have to realize that we have to start making things in the U.S. and selling to other countries again.

also i don't believe that anyone would honestly try to invade the U.S. Even if the U.S. openly says we're **** of of money and can't afford a military, the good amount of citizens would all ban together and fight the invaders with whatever guns they themselves own
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by SeveralSpecies
All great powers fall sooner or later. Happened to Persia, Rome, Britain, others.

Will we fall? Maybe. Anytime soon? I really really really doubt it.

On an interesting side-note, I have heard that China are investing in Africa rather fervently. What does this matter, you might ask? Don't we also invest heavily in Africa?

Sure we do. But the Chinese are investing their money in several countries in Africa with no strings attached except for the loan to be paid back. Whenever the USA has gone into a country in Africa to invest, we also give out the loans with strings attached. "We want to see such-and-such improvements by this time. We want to see you invest this money into this specific area/problem," etc.

The Chinese are going in and loaning out money to whoever wants it with the sole condition that it be paid back. For example, the Chinese are one of the main financial backers of the government responsible for the genocideof Darfur. Not only financially, but they are the number 1 supplier of weapons to that area.

The thought behind this technique is that if those nations are given enough money to do with what they will, the countries will eventually being to develop on an economic level. China will being to export their goods to African nations with lowers prices. I have heard people say that the (kind of) plan behind this is for China to raise to being the super power on the back of the African nations, while at the same time, bringing up Africa as a whole with them on the way to power.

And frankly, the thought of China with a seriously developing and extremely resource-rich continent of Africa to back them up, is truly frightening.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

I am not denying that the Chinese economy has us by the proverbial testicles. But the relationship is completely dependant on one another. Around 30% of the products we import are made in China. Considering the number of products we import, that is a huge number, and while I am not sure what percentage of Chinese production our 30% takes up, I am sure that it is a fairly significant number.

In other words, they have us by the testes but we have them by the throat.

At least, for now.

Call me Charlie.
Last edited by Seryaph at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by in2thesun88
All I'm saying is China has the people to spare. Sure we have weapons, but they have people. Not to mention the allies they would have. If China did make a move then Iran and N. Korea, who have nuclear weapons, would band together with them and we'd be ****ed. All that would happen is nuclear war. So from that aspect China would probably rethink their motives. Ultimately, I think China is content with taking us over bit by bit economically.

Why would Iran join forces with China?

Quote by metaldud536
I believe that by instinct the world will unite as one. It happens in cell formation all the time. The purpose is to get rid of conflict.

I actually agree with this statement, here. In a way, it makes sense. You get rid of conflict and you pool your resources for collective use.

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
Why would Iran join forces with China?

I actually agree with this statement, here. In a way, it makes sense. You get rid of conflict and you pool your resources for collective use.

It has already begun. I think the use of the Euro is one of the first steps.
Page 1 of 3