Hey there everyone...

Everyone around me is out of town, so I figured I'd use today to do crank my amp, since I hear tube amps "sound best at full volume".

Well, so I was playing at full blast, full gain, with my Gibson Flying V fed straight into my Orange AD 30, which is voiced by my Orange PPC112 w/Celestion Vintage 30.

Then, I heard a loud sort of poppy feedback thing. The sound faded away, and now I hear nothing.

I've tried the classic "turning it off and turning it back on", to no avail.

How can I be absolutely sure I blew my speaker?

Thank you very much in advance...
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Doesn't sound like a blown speaker, even if the speaker blew, you'd still hear some sound, albeit very ****ty sound. Did the amp turn off or did it stay on? Trying taking a look inside the chassis to see if a component blew or the fuse blew. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING IN THE AMP SINCE YOU CAN GET KILLED IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. If you see a blow component or fuse then get a tech to fix it or teach yourself how to.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
First thing you should do is check the fuse if there is one, and there probably will be...usually they're in the back somewhere....
Hmm... Well admittedly I don't know much of fuses or anything inside the amp like that, since I'm not a big "tech" guy.

The amp stayed on, the sound just faded and now it is producing absolutely no sound at all.

How will I know if a Fuse blew? What should I be looking for?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
It might not look like anything. Your powertubes could've blown as well, check to see if there are big black marks on them (the bottoms should be black, but the sides shouldn't.

If you can't tell if a fuse is blown, you should probably take it to a tech.
Ok well I'm taking off the back now and am going to examine it. How much would replacing a fuse cost? Or Power Tubes?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
If it's a fuse you could do it yourself. If it's tubes you could do it yourself if you read up on it a bit. I don't know how oranges are biased but you'd probably need to bias the amp if you replace the power tubes.
Well, I'm looking at the tubes here and they're black on the top. Is that regular? Or does that mean they're blown? I know this would be a lot to ask, but do you think I could take a picture of it and you guys could tell me if you see anything?

I just bought this amp so it's very disheartening. I don't know how it happened, because I gave it ample time to warm up and everything. However, I may have had it in 8 ohms when it should have been 16 ohms...
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Taking a picture would be a big help, and would probably make it easy for someone to glance at and say "yeah, they're toast" or "nope, not your tubes"
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Quote by WenisWeasel
Well, I'm looking at the tubes here and they're black on the top. Is that regular? Or does that mean they're blown? I know this would be a lot to ask, but do you think I could take a picture of it and you guys could tell me if you see anything?

I just bought this amp so it's very disheartening. I don't know how it happened, because I gave it ample time to warm up and everything. However, I may have had it in 8 ohms when it should have been 16 ohms...

Hmm, that could be the problem, you may have blown the OT

This is what the tubes should look like:

(Invalid img)

Just that part at the top (or bottom depending on how the tubes are oriented) should be black.
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Well I've got the pictures and am uploading them right now. I hope they are good enough, if they aren't tell me.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
see. the problem with the fuses is that they blew for a reason. I mean you can replace them, but if they short out again somethings wrong.

I think that maybe the wiring in your house isn't the best. Yes tube amps sound great cranked, but they also put a greater burden on the current in the house. And if some of the wiring isn't up to snuff it won't be able to draw enough current, thus the amp will either over heat BADLY, or the amp will try to compensate which will increase the outgoing load which may or may not over load the speakers and in some backwards way mess up the tubes.

Feel free to ignore that last paragraph, it might be false. But regardless, fuses blow because something went wrong. So if they blow again have it checked.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
see. the problem with the fuses is that they blew for a reason. I mean you can replace them, but if they short out again somethings wrong.

I think that maybe the wiring in your house isn't the best. Yes tube amps sound great cranked, but they also put a greater burden on the current in the house. And if some of the wiring isn't up to snuff it won't be able to draw enough current, thus the amp will either over heat BADLY, or the amp will try to compensate which will increase the outgoing load which may or may not over load the speakers and in some backwards way mess up the tubes.

Feel free to ignore that last paragraph, it might be false. But regardless, fuses blow because something went wrong. So if they blow again have it checked.

I don't know about the wiring thing, the house will draw as much amperage as it needs, it's voltage that's the concern, but being a new amp it should be the proper voltage.

As far as something causing a fuse to blow, having the impedance set wrong and cranking the amp could certainly do that. If it's only a fuse count yourself lucky, if you blew the OT, well that would really suck.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/HollisterBoy13/IMG_0642.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/HollisterBoy13/IMG_0653.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/HollisterBoy13/IMG_0654.jpg

Here are the pictures. Since I think it was in the wrong ohm output, I'm going to try putting it into 16 ohms, and see if that was what was wrong.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
The cabinet should say right on it what impedance you should be using (4/8/16)

And the tubes are definitely fine.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Your tubes are good, have you checked the fuses? That HT fuse if probably the one that blew if the amp didn't turn off.
Ok, so how do I check if it blew? Do I just unscrew it?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Yes, make sure the amp is unplugged though.
some pictures of the tubes in operation (aka on and warmed up) would help, and try to not have much light when you take the pictures so we can see the tube functioning (and no flash)

if it is a blown OT it might have taken the fuses with it.
pull your fuses and get back to us, im betting that's the only problem.
it wouldn't surprise me if you blew a fuse while having everything at maximum, although, blowing an output transformer wouldn't be a shock either, but one step at a time, check the fuses
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
Quote by guitardude11
shoulda boughta mesa.

GTFO

Your post wasn't helpful in the least.
I have my fuse in hand now. I would send pictures, but it's VERY tiny and you probably couldn't even see it. It appears to be blown. There's a coil looking thing in it that is split in two, and I see faint black marks.

So now that I know my fuse is blown:
How much does a new one cost?
And does that mean the rest of my amp is fine?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by WenisWeasel
I have my fuse in hand now. I would send pictures, but it's VERY tiny and you probably couldn't even see it. It appears to be blown. There's a coil looking thing in it that is split in two, and I see faint black marks.

So now that I know my fuse is blown:
How much does a new one cost? You could get a box for a buck, just make sure the ones you buy are exactly the same
And does that mean the rest of my amp is fine? not necessarily, but the fuse is cheap and a good place to start

99% chance the rest of your amp is fine. Thats what fuses are for, to blow before something else does. With that being said, no guarentees.

Look on the amp/in the manual to see what size the fuse is, you can buy another for like, 10 cents probably, fuses are cheap. Probably at the nearest hardware store even.

If the coil is split, then yeah, you're right, the fuse is toast.
Ok, it is an an HT T500 Fuse. I will go and buy one tomorrow. I honestly cannot thank you all enough for helping me with this. I know I probably sound like an idiot, but I'm just not used to a Head/Cab combo, as this is my first. My entire guitar career I've used combos.

I will post back tomorrow and let you all know if the Fuse solved it, or if a problem is still at hand. You have my INFINITE gratitude!
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Quote by WenisWeasel
You have my INFINITE gratitude!

what's his gratitude level?

edit: its over nine thousannnnnd
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
No problem man. Its nice to see someone asking a legitimate question about their nice amp instead of asking for the 50th time that day if the marshall mg is any good. (its not, incase anyone is wondering)

Plus, it'd be a shame to not have that beauty making noise. :P Hope the fuse fixes it. I imagine that'll be it.
Hahaha well thank you. I do agree, it's annoying when you get questions like that, or "Is it worth it to upgrade to a Peavey Valveking?!".
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird