Hey guys. I've been playing acoustic guitar for a few years now. I'd really like to have an electric guitar around and I've started looking around. To be entirely honest I'm pretty lost. Can someone try to point me in the right direction?

Incase you are wondering... What I plan on playing is probably best described by linking to a few of my favorite bands...
, , , ...
umm get an epiphone les paul standard
i say its bad having a cheap guitar like a strat knock off as a firt, because u train ur ear the wrong way and u get used to ****. get me?
and since u say uve been playing acoustic for a while then trust me its the best option
just my opinion cheers!
You probably want a strong tone. You should look into tone woods to see what you want your guitar to be made of. Then when you go and look, you have an idea of where to start. These guitars usually have 22 frets. From there, just play around and see what you like best, keep an open mind. Check for rust, cracks, and faults, just like acoustics, and make sure everything is down tight. Try and get a fairly low action. And that's about it.
Yeah a half-cheap guitar with a set neck is definitely less alien when you were used to aocustic necks in the first place, but a strat is a strat, no comment there (unless it's a piece of **** :P)
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
HMMMM... Lets see, when i look at electrics, i look at three different things
1. PLAYABLILITY- this ones a doosie and is very important when selecting guitar
2. SOUND- woods and pickups ect
3. PRICE/STYLE- you dont want to over spend and you probably went to electric because it was cool, so make sure you like the look somewhat (just dont let it overshadow the other two)

Lets start with playablility. You are going from an acoustic to an electric guitar, i have found that gibsons are much easier to play for people in your situations (noteably, the les paul). If you find that too thick, you might want to consider a fender strat, its what i use and i find it easier to play. (Again, because i went straight to electric)

Moving on to sound. Looks like you wanna play some rather warm and popish stuff; so i would look for a lighter, softer, brighter sounding wood so i would go for an alder body or soft maple. As for the pickups, i would suggest custom fitting an emg active for flexiblility in play style. (should you change your mind) http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm <== go there for more info on woods to get your sound just right.

Finally price. Dont be shocked if your looking at $600 to $1000 dollars on your tab. It could be lower considering that your using softer woods, BUT be wary, the dollars can add up very quickly. And as for style, just make sure you like the look a tiny bit! tis important, kinda

I hope i helped you!

TAX [-]
Very nice. Have you played it? Best advice I can give you is play a whole lot of guitars and buy the one that you feel suits you best.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Quote by Petey D
Very nice. Have you played it? Best advice I can give you is play a whole lot of guitars and buy the one that you feel suits you best.

I haven't, but on paper it looks like a lot of guitar for the money.
It's a lot like an Epiphone LP standard but nicer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by KelchM
I haven't, but on paper it looks like a lot of guitar for the money.

Indeed it does. You have to play it before you commit though.
Petey D

Ankle Burner & World Class Sauce Jockey

Sparrow Big Daddy Ace

Sparrow Ratrod Boss

Johnson JT50 Mirage
Yes, I also say play it before you buy it. It's your first electric, you don't want to be disappointed. Example: last year I bought my first electric. I picked an old Yamaha SE112, for these reasons:

-The neck was slick, I could bend,slide and play easily on it.
-It had two single coils and a humbucker in the bridge, nice variety to start with
-It had an interesting paint scheme- all red with a black pickguard

Not saying you're going to pick yours for those reasons, but those are the reasons I still love playing it today. Also, not trying to weigh you down if you haven't considered it, but have you considered an amp as well?
Quote by JDizzle787
I picked an old Yamaha SE112

I absolutely love my old Yamaha 112. It was my first guitar, and by far not the best out on the market. But it works for me, and I like it.

*high five*

anyways: The Agile you linked to looks decent. I've heard good things about them, especially for their price. Play it first, but it is definitely a good deal.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351
Last edited by sharkbait08 at Nov 23, 2008,
Go to a local guitar shop, try some out. It's the best way to pick the guitar that's right for you.
UG's AC/DC Lover