lately when ever i play through my Marshall, i get this weird humming noise that i know isn't supposed to be there. whenever this humming noise appears my sound is muffled like someone placed a pillow over my cab. this happens periodically, it comes and goes but it's real annoying and i don't want to keep on playing if i'm doing any damage to my amp.

the tubes are about a year old and they are all glowing orange, so i'm assuming no problems there. anyone have an idea what might be causing the problem?

thanks
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
have you checked the power tubes as well? mine are hidden at the rear behind a panel you need to remove...
if ya havent checked those, check them.
also, your tubes may be just getting worn out?
Try a different outlet maybe, try a different guitar. If you could record some clips we might be able to help more, but a hum that comes and goes could mean a ton of things. Does it happen when a certain appliance in the house comes on? I know when the vacuum or a power saw are turned on it buzzes through my amp and overall makes it sound like sh!t.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
unfortunately i have no recording equipment and cannot record the amp. and no this happens whenever i play, every time i play regardless of what's on or off.

certainly the tubes don't die after only one year? i'll check the powertubes again...but like i said they're glowing a fine orange.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Turn on your amp and tap your tubes with a pencil. Its not likely the problem, but if you can hear that LOUDLY through your amp, then the tubes are too microphonic, and they're picking up more outside interference than they should.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
alright well i tapped my tubes with a pencil and i didn't hear anything so they're not too microphonic and i plugged in both my guitars and the humming/muffling was still there.

i also noticed that the humming doesn't start occuring until about 10 minutes after i start playing/turned amp on.

anything else?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

I'm just going to go out on a limb here, I don't know ton about tubes, but I'm assuming the 10 minute thing will mean something is up with one of the tubes, because it make take them 10 minutes to heat up to a certain point of making this hum.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. But yeah, just a hunch.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
that's what i'm thinking....but then i think of the fact that they were replaced only a year ago and it'd be pretty strange if they died only after a year's worth of use.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

well it won't be all of them. Its likely just one, if it even is the tubes. One tube could have been messed with a little by a power swell or something. I'm not familiar, but that would make some sense to me.