I want to learn to play the blues. Can someone direct me to a website or something of that matter? Or list some steps that I absolutely must master to be able to do this. I appreciate all the help.
Quote by rich_sg
I've been here nearly 4 years now. I get no respect.

Quote by xCobainx
Respect in the pit?

Lol

Pink Floyd is The Best
it would probably be better if you learned from recordings. it seems more organic that way, which is to me what the blues is all about. you probably already know all the scales and things that you need, you just need to learn how to apply them.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
step 1. get your heart broken.

step 2. Buy a Stratocaster!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
have something upsetting happen to you

EG:
my dog got shot today
my dog got shot today
and i like pasta
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Quote by Chrisiphone
step 2. Buy a Stratocaster!

i don't find strats to be as good at playing the blues as most gibsons
Wank the blue scale till you get all "find" all the cliches in the blues playing
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
1. play the minor pentatonic scale
2. repeat number 1
3. repeat number 1
4. repeat number 1
etc. etc.
Go to the blues and jazz subforum in bands and artists. You'll get much better replies there
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
^+1 (90%) of the stuff on this thread is useless. I was so relieved to read one vision offer something of value.

12 bar blues. Learn 8 bar blues as well.

Dominant 7 chords

As for technique - fingerpicking on an acoustic guitar is pretty good for the blues. Get your thumb on a steady rhythm so that you can get a bass line going independent of your other fingers.

There is a Blues Thread on this site somewhere full of blues hounds. You could post there and I'm sure they'll help you out. EDIT: Oops I missed Blurry's post two up which suggested just that. - another good post.
Si
I might be wrong, but I think blues is the only time where you would use a characteristically minor scale over major/dominant chords. Both pentatonic minor and the blues scale are characteristically "minor" due to their minor third.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never read this anywhere, I just noticed it.

I think this is the unique thing about blues.

Sad scales + Happy chords = Blues

I joke.
find some blues backing tracks and just jam over them. Learn your minor pentatonic all over the neck including your flat 5 for the ''blue note'' adds a great feel for blues. That should keep you occupied enough!

Also generally most blues chord progressions are I IV V use some 7th chords with minor chords.
Quote by 20Tigers
^+1 (90%) of the stuff on this thread is useless. I was so relieved to read one vision offer something of value.

.....but i didnt get to step 4. yet...step 4 is wear playing technique kicks in (aka 12-bar blues, scales, phrasing)

but yeah, steps 1-3 are pretty pointless
I might be wrong, but I think blues is the only time where you would use a characteristically minor scale over major/dominant chords. Both pentatonic minor and the blues scale are characteristically "minor" due to their minor third.

I would say that the use of the minor pentatonic over a dominant chord meant to imply an altered scale more than a minor tonality.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by one vision

Correct me if I'm wrong. I've never read this anywhere, I just noticed it.

I think this is the unique thing about blues.

Sad scales + Happy chords = Blues

I joke.

It depends. You have many style blues. You have blues that use more jazzed up chords, and blues which only have minor. Blues that use minor and major; etc.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^Found out the name of that song Darren: Boccherini - Minuet

On topic: Learn your pentatonic minors and blues scales and you're good to go. If you want to sound like blues then listen to a lot of it and imitate.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."