Currently I can pick about 8 notes a second with a pattern like:
-------0-------0-
--3-5---3---5---

and variations.

At slow speeds I can play this perfectly. But at around 8 notes/sec, my brain seems to malfunction and I start to mess up and its really frustrating. I've been working on this riff for days and I actually started wearing out a new heavy pick just practicing this. The riff is from GNR Locomotive. I can play it at 70% speed in guitar pro but I mess up after a few times. Any tips on how I can reach full speed?
take a lesson and learn the propper placement of your hands and how you specifically should be holding the guitar..thats probably your problem.
play slow with a metronom and slowly move it up. i know it's the standard idea, but it works. You won't notice results straight away. Also, remember if you're warmed up, you play a helluva lot better than if you havent. good luck!

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
id say *just because I can alt pick like a bastard xD* try holding your pick at a 45 degree angle against the string, also, practice slowly, then faster and faster. warm up both hands before trying high speed, it will really help
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
Quote by Zinnie
id say *just because I can alt pick like a bastard xD* try holding your pick at a 45 degree angle against the string, also, practice slowly, then faster and faster. warm up both hands before trying high speed, it will really help

I don't like the 45 degree angle very much. Imo it takes a bit away from the tone.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
on my guitar, the angle doesnt really alter the tone, i unno if its the way my wrist is, but meh, to each his own
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I personally learned to alternative pick by exaggerating my hand movements, like instead of trying to stay close to the strings i'd do the exact opposite, really helps wrist speed too, then obviously, the faster you get, the closer,

I learned how to do it from Paul Gilbert's vids, thewhole

B-12-13-15
E-------------12

Then you repick the B-15 and do another 12, really hard at first..

Hope this is helpful