Sorry if this has been asked, but i couldn't find it in the search.

So I have a Schecter 5 string as my back up bass, and I've found that I never really use the fifth string in my own playing style. Im one of those guys that plays alot of melodic stuff. Therefore, I was considering stringing it EADGC instead. Will the different strings work without altering the nut? Or if I would need a new nut, where could I find one for those strings?
Quote by jsbassboy
Sorry if this has been asked, but i couldn't find it in the search.

So I have a Schecter 5 string as my back up bass, and I've found that I never really use the fifth string in my own playing style. Im one of those guys that plays alot of melodic stuff. Therefore, I was considering stringing it EADGC instead. Will the different strings work without altering the nut? Or if I would need a new nut, where could I find one for those strings?

i was gonna do the same thing, from what i hear the nut doesnt necassarily need changed
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Thats how i usually tune my bass, I didnt change the nut or truss rod or anythign like that just but the c on and bumped up the rest. as for where to get the string your nearest music shop should have it.
Not necessarily. Some brands made EADGC strings. I know that GHS Brite Flats for one come in the proper gauges.
Okay, so other than a very few exceptions you have to buy a six string set. Unless you can find a store that sells single C strings. It's generally hard enough to find a store that sells singe guitar strings, never mind bass strings. And even if they do it's usually EADG at best. But yes, there are a few examples that sell EADGC. I think Warwick might make a set, and apparently the Brite Flats too.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Okay, so other than a very few exceptions you have to buy a six string set. Unless you can find a store that sells single C strings. It's generally hard enough to find a store that sells singe guitar strings, never mind bass strings. And even if they do it's usually EADG at best. But yes, there are a few examples that sell EADGC. I think Warwick might make a set, and apparently the Brite Flats too.

You just buy a 4 string set, substitue the G for a 0.55 (which is what I do anyway) and tune your 0.45 (usual G string) to C; it's a simple as that.
One thing that you will more than likely have to do is release some tension on the truss rod due to the lighter gauge strings. I would certainly not recommend tuning up a standard 5 string Bass set.
It really is that simple, Fenders first 5 string Bass in the 60s was tuned E A D G C.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thats actually a fantastic idea...you just got me thinking brother...I have a squier HM 5 string I bought for $80 and I am not sure if I will be using the B a lot either...that really is a fantastic idea!