I had my guitar setup a few months ago and up until then I didn't know how much I was missing out on as far as playability and general confort...I remember when I first played it after getting it back how good it felt and with how much confidence I could play...but as the strings got older it started to not feel as good anymore..what I've noticed is that every time I put new strings on it feels like it had just got setup...except now the feeling goes away after a day or two..don't know if you guys out there have any similar experiences but if you do and you can suggest anything so that I can keep that feel throughout the whole string life or at least longer than a few days.
New strings pretty are pretty much awesome! And you can't extend the feel of new strings. Unless you dont play them.
Quote by Ibanezshred333
New strings pretty are pretty much awesome! And you can't extend the feel of new strings. Unless you dont play them.

NO idea WTF that was meant to say

but never had that problem but i do agre that new strings do feel amazing. however do you leave your strings for a day? because they need to stretch and accomodate to the guitar before you play them otherwise theyll go out of tune really quickly.
Elixirs do last longer, but they arent for everyone

As for new strings, they sound better after a day or two of playing
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Acoustic or electric? Regardless, new strings sound great for a few days, and depending on the string the life will begin to dwindle from there. If you're playing on an electric, Cleartone micro-treated strings are great.They also last 3-5 times longer than your average nickel-wound string. For an acoustic, it's a toss-up between Elixir, Cleartone, and Ernie Ball's coated Slinkies.
Logan

-Ignore the "A7X"'s in my name! I made this account before City of Evil existed!
thanx for the replies...i usually play them right after putting them on...and for about a half hour they'll keep going out of tune but I'll just keep tuning it...after that they stay in tune pretty well...but I'm not sure if you guys understood what I was referring to. I'm not talking about the sound of the new strings...I'm only talking about their feel. I use d'adarrios by the way, and I have tried elixirs...can't remember if the same thing happened with elixirs but I guess I'll give them a try next time I change strings...Anyone else have an suggestions as far as maintaining that feel of new strings
Yea i just put a new set of XL's on like half an hour ago, sooooo smooth and they feel almost too good.

i hear ya OP
The best way to preserve them for a couple extra days is to just wipe them down with a dry rag (or damp, but do so at your own risk lol) before and after every time you play them... Make sure to wipe under the strings as well, it's gets pretty dirty under there and makes it a bit harder to bend and whatnot..

Thats about all you can do, other than the whole boiling thing.... dont ask...
Quote by kaosfire
Yea i just put a new set of XL's on like half an hour ago, sooooo smooth and they feel almost too good.

i hear ya OP

Dude, I've played DR tite-fits since I picked a guitar up, and tried switching to XL's...I can't even stand them. They feel wierd, go out of tune fast(and my guitar has locking tuners...big WTF), and they make a weird warble-sound sometimes. That seems like it would be my guitars fault, but it didn't do it on my DR's. I'm changing all of them as soon as a string breaks.
seriously, i never care what brand they are as long as their 10's i just got these off a freind for stringing his guitar.

My amp is to crappy to sound any different regardless of the type of string.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.