Im hoping to get a toneport ux2 for christmas, and have been told that a new one if being released early next year. Would I be missing out on many things? If this was you, would you wait, or get the one already out. It depends what ill be missing out on...

Also, what exactly are midi controllers used for? Bit of a stupid q haha

Thanks, Moom
Dunno too much about the new Toneport, but I have the most basic model (the name slips my mind right now), and it is great. It just all really depends on what program your running with it. (I use Guitar Rig 2, and it sounds amazing on recordings with a full band)

My guess is: you're probably not missing out on much. It's not like an amp, where if you spend more, you (usually) get more. Find out how many channels you need, and you should be good.

Midi controllers can be anything from keyboards (piano), to drum machines, etc. All it is, is basically a designated note or sound, programed to play when a certain key or drum head is struck. (This also depends on the program being used with it... Reason, Fruity Loops, etc.)
Currently reading:

Crime and Punishment
The Age of Reason
Little Dorrit

"Illegitimis nil carborundum"
Quote by moominman2
Im hoping to get a toneport ux2 for christmas, and have been told that a new one if being released early next year. Would I be missing out on many things? If this was you, would you wait, or get the one already out. It depends what ill be missing out on...

Also, what exactly are midi controllers used for? Bit of a stupid q haha

Thanks, Moom

I've not heard anything about a new Toneport but IMO it;s probably not worth getting. The current ones are good for ideas as is as the quality isnt great.
Line6 just put out the "new" black Toneports with more amp and effect modeling software. I don't think they changed any of their cheap preamps or hardware though which is lame...
Being that they just put out the new black Toneports, I cant see them coming out with a new model any time soon.

If you really want some good sounds, go for a $200 unit such as a PreSonus Firebox or Mackie Onyx Satellite.

MIDI controllers simply control sofware or hardware. They are more commonly used to trigger synths in a computer program (VSTi) or hardware rack mounted synths.
More info is in Tweak's Guide found in my sig.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 23, 2008,
Personally, I just wouldn't bother with the Toneport at all, old or new. For just a little more money (as little as £10-15) you can get the Mackie Onyx Satellite. This is a faster, firewire interface and has better preamps than the Toneport. It won't work with Vista though.
There is poetry in despair.
ah nuts. I have vista.

Ill look into those you suggested:PreSonus Firebox or Mackie Onyx Satellite.

Thanks very much!

EDIT: do the interfaces you suggested basically do the same thing? Like have a range of amp models? Or do they work differently?

Thanks
Last edited by moominman2 at Nov 23, 2008,
Well, if you have Vista, you could still look into the Presonus gear.

The amp modelling software is why most people go for the Toneports, and it's this gimmicky aspect of the Toneports that I don't like. The amp modelling software that comes with the Toneport isn't that great, and the distorted tones in particular are pretty poor.

There are lots of amp modelling software plugins available on the market which you can use with any audio interface, but these are often expensive (although a lot better than Gearbox). Would you not rather mic up your amp?
ah ok cheers.

Well yeah I would, but im just getting into recording and writing some riffs and stuff, so I don't need anything amazing right now. Just something I can easilly use thats quite cheap with everything with it.

I would definatly mic up my amp in the future though.
Would you suggest a toneport then?

I don't wanna pay loads and just want everything together. Are there any other interfaces that are as good as, if not better than the toneport for nearly the same price with everything I need?

Thanks
I would suggest you get into mic'ing your amp now. The skills you'll learn will be invaluable, and mic'ing yields a much better sound if you do it right, IMO. What kind of budget are you working with ?
well thats the thing...I was only intending to spend no more than £130 at max as its for christmas.
I just thought it would be a good idea as its money saving and also very portable and easy to use?