Alright so I've been playing Bass for about 10 months now. Of course I'm not amazing but I've gotten pretty good. I'm also able to play a lot of stuff on guitar also... of course. Plus I'm starting to get pretty decent on drums.

Therefore I have started a band in which I play bass, my boyfriend Chad (who has taught me a lot) plays guitar, our friend Seth plays drums, and Tabby sings.

Chad and I have been working hard the last couple of months with writing music. He's been writing stuff for a long time, and is definately better than I am at it. But him and I have the same problem with bass parts. Unless the bass part is the first thing we come up with... it's never anything special. It usually just seems to follow the guitar part. We have so much trouble with getting the bass part to not do that. I understand that it's okay sometimes but being that way in every song is ridiculous.

So yeah... we can come up with good guitar parts, and drum parts... but we have trouble with bass parts. Don't get me started with melodies though... GAH we both suck at that.

I'm so retarded... I can write good lyrics but some how I always end up forgetting the melody that went with them.

Anyway... what I'm trying to ask is:
What should I do about the bass parts? Is there any method that anyone has found to get bass parts that are unique and don't follow the guitar exactly?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I was just wondering.
I'm The New Cancer. Never Looked Better. You Can't Stand It. :stickpoke
Just mess around with scales, arpeggios, & the notes in the chord the guitar is playing. There is no definable way to write bassline.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
yeah. Also just wondering. I've been told that in any kind of music the bass part should some what follow the drum part... particularly the bass drum. But I don't often hear this in most of the music that I listen to.
So should I maybe start listening more to the drum parts too?
once again, sorry if that's a stupid question.
I'm The New Cancer. Never Looked Better. You Can't Stand It. :stickpoke
Quote by TheNewCancer92
yeah. Also just wondering. I've been told that in any kind of music the bass part should some what follow the drum part... particularly the bass drum. But I don't often hear this in most of the music that I listen to.
So should I maybe start listening more to the drum parts too?
once again, sorry if that's a stupid question.

Yes. If you're following the guitar too much rhythmically, you need to start lockign in with the drummer, particularly the kick drum beat.

If you're stuck pounding out rootnotes, also follow the advice given above. Scales and arpegios are good places to start.