Hey all, I'm looking to get a bass guitar, a good one. Electric, with 4 strings. I play guitar already, so that helps, and I don't want one for COMPLETE beginners. I like the thin-neck ones. I want the best possible deal, in the $200-$300 price range. I've been looking at the Fender Jazz basses, and I like the double pick-ups, and I want a decent variety of sounds. I am also interested in playing slap-bass, as well as the typical finger and pick playing. So, could you guys help me out? Thanks.

Edit: Here is the one I'm looking at:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-J-Bass?sku=519631
Last edited by Fender1424 at Nov 22, 2008,
probably isn't any help.
But take a look at some Epiphones. You might find something you like.
I'm The New Cancer. Never Looked Better. You Can't Stand It. :stickpoke
Quote by TheNewCancer92
probably isn't any help
Don't take a look at some Epiphones. You might find something you like.

You spelled don't wrong. :P

But anyways. Ideally I would look for a used MIM Fender. Otherwise the Vintage Modifed or Classic Vibe Squiers would be a good choice.
Quote by Captain Insano
You spelled don't wrong. :P

But anyways. Ideally I would look for a used MIM Fender. Otherwise the Vintage Modifed or Classic Vibe Squiers would be a good choice.

I think you're wrong. I think Epiphones are good. I own three. They've never failed me.
Quote by TheNewCancer92
probably isn't any help.

LOL. Your so evil.

But if it wasn't a joke, don't listen to him.
Quote by TheNewCancer92
I think you're wrong. I think Epiphones are good. I own three. They've never failed me.

You own an Epiphone EB-3 and apparently enjoy it. Your opinions are invalid.

To TS, I would suggest the Squier VM Jazz series, an MIM Fender Jazz, or maybe something from the Ibanez Soundgear line. Epiphone (as it exists today) makes truly horrible basses.

BeastEdit: On second thought, I may have been incorrect. As it appears that TheNewCancer92 plays a great deal of Fall Out Boy/Taking Back Sunday/My Chemical Romance, I am sure that an EB-3 meets all of her needs as a bassist.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Last edited by Beast_Within at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by food1010
I'd say a Fender (maybe Squier?) Jazz would suit your purposes well.

This
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Ibanez SR if you want a thin neck. Gsr200, maybe? Sr300? Srx300?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Check out the Peavey Foundation. I own one and I love it.(unfortunately gonna be selling it soon) Thin neck, light weight, great sound. All together great bass
i.play
||
supported.by
||

"...If you think you're alive, you're better off dead"
Quote by TheNewCancer92
probably isn't any help.

ARGGHHHHH no!
Alright, I found a good deal on this bass: http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.PERFORMER4DLX-CRS

And I also like this bass: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-J-Bass?sku=519631

Which do you guys think is better?

Edit: This is the avtual bass: http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/914779362.html
Last edited by Fender1424 at Nov 23, 2008,
Spectors are known to be good so I'd go for that if its a good price!
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
get the spector or vm jazz bass

and what ever you do dont get an epiphone
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by Beast_Within

To TS, I would suggest the Squier VM Jazz series, an MIM Fender Jazz, or maybe something from the Ibanez Soundgear line. Epiphone (as it exists today) makes truly horrible basses.

BeastEdit: On second thought, I may have been incorrect. As it appears that TheNewCancer92 plays a great deal of Fall Out Boy/Taking Back Sunday/My Chemical Romance, I am sure that an EB-3 meets all of her needs as a bassist.

Just so YOU know. I was just going by what I know. I have other basses than just the one I have listed on my page. That one is just my favorite. So sorry if that advice wasn't good. Like I had said originally "This Probably Won't Be Any Help But..." And BTW I play way more that FOB and what not. I'm into all kinds of rock. For instance though he may be dead, Cliff Burton is my hero as a bassist.

Plus I agree with the whole Epiphone thing... they aren't the best... as basses. But I believe that the guitars are decent quality.
link wont work, and the spector would be amazing if u go it
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
tbh id get the spector or vm jazz bass
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
its a spector performer deluxe
Quote by postmortem2006

Herpes maybe.
Quote by Beast_Within

How would that make his opinion invalid? If he owns three then he would have a better opinion on them then someone who owns zero.
Quote by TheNewCancer92

What would you need three Epiphones for...?

Anyway, I'm still gonna maintain that the Squire VMJazz is the best bass in it's price range by a mile. That being said, I've not played that Spector but it seems to be a good deal, so maybe that's better. Play both, if you can, and decide which you like?

If it were my decision I'd opt for the VMJazz, though. I've not really heard anything but good things about them, and for their price they feel fantastic.
I would go with the Spector if it was my choice. They are really reliable, have great tone, and it looks great too. Ive never personally played one, but Ive heard nothing but good things
i.play
||
supported.by
||

"...If you think you're alive, you're better off dead"
Quote by rambelpalsis
get the spector or vm jazz bass

and what ever you do dont get an epiphone

+10000000000000000 (especially the epiphone part)

I've say this a million times, there is a good reason why the VM 70's jazz is so fapped over on this forum. Spectors are great too, but, even as a Spector Fanboy (look at my sig), I must admit, the necks are pretty chunky. So, ya, go with the jazz. you will not be dissapointed
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by TheNewCancer92
Just so YOU know. I was just going by what I know. I have other basses than just the one I have listed on my page. That one is just my favorite. So sorry if that advice wasn't good. Like I had said originally "This Probably Won't Be Any Help But..." And BTW I play way more that FOB and what not. I'm into all kinds of rock. For instance though he may be dead, Cliff Burton is my hero as a bassist.

Plus I agree with the whole Epiphone thing... they aren't the best... as basses. But I believe that the guitars are decent quality.

because Cliff Burton is the lord of tonality, clarity, and audibility.

hell, the man makes fuzz sound unappealing, which takes a little work.

tell me, when you record a bassline with some friends on guitar or drums or something, can you always hear yourself? even when the drummer is pounding away and the guitarist is smashing out his heaviest chords?

because when I have record, I always can hear myself, unless my strings are too old. at every part I'm playing.

TS, if my experiences with both brands (rather limited with Spector, mind you) are correct, the Spector is better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom