http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mm4uQNztfs

Improv solo I made, please post constructive criticism.
Bad quality because of bad mic, and the intro is pretty weak, I know.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

r&r

edit: I actually listened to it. I'm not even going to bother critting it. It was bad.
Last edited by heaven's gate at Nov 22, 2008,
Wow it is absolutely positively....

....fucking horrible.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
that sounded like ass being raped with a red hot poker while shiting all over the place.
Protip: put your guitar on eBay, NOW.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
asking for advice in the pit = lower self-esteem
Quote by Gigatiran
It's really not that hard... almost all women are sluts.

Quote by Twist of fate
do u rlly think a girl will come to school in the morning and interrupt ur conversation screaming "Hey i nailed my own poonaner last nite and came like a hurricane YEA BABII"
learn some theory!
sounded like random notes fast with pinch harmonics here and there.
Did you just play random notes really fast? Your playing wasn't bad though.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
Did you just play random notes really fast?

basically,
I was just improv soloing and sadly, to most of the people I know speed=skill.
I know I'm not that skilled at all.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by Conehead
basically,
I was just improv soloing and sadly, to most of the people I know speed=skill.
I know I'm not that skilled at all.

Maybe you should stop working on impressing your idiotic friends and start learning how to play music.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Maybe you should stop working on impressing your idiotic friends and start learning how to play music.

I'm not just trying to impress, that is stuff I enjoy playing as well, and hell, I threw some blues in (kind of), and that impresses no one that I know.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Your playing is great. You just have to learn theory. And it's not that hard. In no time you'll be destroying nations with your leads.
Learn to read music and learn the theory behind an improvised solo. Once you do that you're technique can take you to a new level of playing a long with a good understanding of the theory.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Your playing is great. You just have to learn theory. And it's not that hard. In no time you'll be destroying nations with your leads.

haha thanks

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by Conehead
haha thanks

Haha no problem. With me, it took me about a month to learn what I needed to make good sounding solos that stayed in key. I could play fast and had the right techniques, but it didn't sound right till I learned theory.

You'll want to learn the pentatonic, major and minor scales. Those, in my opinion, are the most useful. Plus, when you learn scales and the theory with them, you can right songs because you know which chords go together and what sounds good with what. It's really cool. No matter what anyone says, theory is awesome.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Haha no problem. With me, it took me about a month to learn what I needed to make good sounding solos that stayed in key. I could play fast and had the right techniques, but it didn't sound right till I learned theory.

You'll want to learn the pentatonic, major and minor scales. Those, in my opinion, are the most useful. Plus, when you learn scales and the theory with them, you can right songs because you know which chords go together and what sounds good with what. It's really cool. No matter what anyone says, theory is awesome.

I'm in lessons right now, and we worked on some scales, but next time I'll ask my teacher how to apply those to solos.

I'm playin the blues right now though

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

constructive: could have been a bit cleaner

non constructive: ****. just horrible.

take your pick.
Quote by Conehead
I'm in lessons right now, and we worked on some scales, but next time I'll ask my teacher how to apply those to solos.

I'm playin the blues right now though

Man, the blues is how I learned to solo.

e 1-4
B 1-4
G 1-3
D 1-3
A 1-3
E 1-4

That's the blues (pentatonic) scale. I assume you're using that right now? If so, then you're on the right track.

Plus, blues solos work well in most types of music.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Man, the blues is how I learned to solo.

1-4
1-4
1-3
1-3
1-3
1-4

That's the blues (pentatonic) scale. I assume you're using that right now? If so, then you're on the right track.

Plus, blues solos work well in most types of music.

not really, it's just whatever sounds good to me..
some people think that you have to solo in scales and things like that, but i think it is whatever sounds good, not being restricted to a scale.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by Conehead
some people think that you have to solo in scales and things like that, but i think it is whatever sounds good, not being restricted to a scale.

Usually, whatever sounds good to you is the correct note (one that corresponds to they key you're playing in), so using scales is beneficial as it shows you which notes are going to sound good. It's a lot easier too, as you won't hit sour notes. Plus, the notes in that scale are only the start of what you can play. You can continue the notes up each string, just figure out which notes follow and plot them out mentally. It's easier than it sounds.

And that scale I posted can be used at any fret. So an A pentatonic scale would be:

5-8
5-8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5-8

You don't have to use scales, but I find it helpful and it makes it easier. Whatever you feel is best though, is what you should do.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Usually, whatever sounds good to you is the correct note (one that corresponds to they key you're playing in), so using scales is beneficial as it shows you which notes are going to sound good. It's a lot easier too, as you won't hit sour notes. Plus, the notes in that scale are only the start of what you can play. You can continue the notes up each string, just figure out which notes follow and plot them out mentally. It's easier than it sounds.

And that scale I posted can be used at any fret. So an A pentatonic scale would be:

5-8
5-8
5-7
5-7
5-7
5-8

You don't have to use scales, but I find it helpful and it makes it easier. Whatever you feel is best though, is what you should do.

That makes a lot of sense, and I didn't know you could expand the scale (I've been playing for 3 years and am just learning theory lol)

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by Conehead

scales dont restrict you the fact that you dont know restricts you the less theory you know the crappy your soloing sounds.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by Conehead
That makes a lot of sense, and I didn't know you could expand the scale (I've been playing for 3 years and am just learning theory lol)

Haha don't worry dude. You'll learn quickly, it's pretty easy stuff. And yeah you can expand on that scale.

For example:

e 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23
B 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23
G 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
D 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
B 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
E 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23

You can use those notes in the A blues scale. Plus ones below the fifth fret, but I didn't type those out because I'm lazy. haha. Some of them might be off because I counted them out quickly, but it should be right. Noodle around with those over a backing track (if you have one) of some blues in A or just a repeated A chord/power chord and see what you get.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Haha don't worry dude. You'll learn quickly, it's pretty easy stuff. And yeah you can expand on that scale.

For example:

e 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23
B 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23
G 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
D 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
B 5 7 9 10 12 14 15 17 19 20 22 24
E 5 6 8 10 12 13 15 17 18 20 22 23

You can use those notes in the A blues scale. Plus ones below the fifth fret, but I didn't type those out because I'm lazy. haha. Some of them might be off because I counted them out quickly, but it should be right. Noodle around with those over a backing track (if you have one) of some blues in A or just a repeated A chord/power chord and see what you get.

Thanks man

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Oh, and you can transpose that scale into any key you want. Just move the notes down or up depending on what note you start on. The positions will stay the same, just different notes.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Oh, and you can transpose that scale into any key you want. Just move the notes down or up depending on what note you start on. The positions will stay the same, just different notes.

Yeah my rhythm tracks for most things are in the key of D (I play in drop D and have a LOT of chugging on the bottom note).
I learned the D minor for soloing in my lessons last year, so I should probably use it

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by deluded_reality
I thought the blues pentatonic scale was:

e 1-4
B 1-4
G 1-3-4
D 1-3
A 1-2-3
E 1-4

Sorry for the possible triple post here...

But yeah. That works too. I just learned the version I posted, but that one sounds better with the extra notes. That probably the blues scale, while a true pentatonic would be the one I posted, since yours has more than 5 notes. Both are valid options.
Quote by Conehead
Yeah my rhythm tracks for most things are in the key of D (I play in drop D and have a LOT of chugging on the bottom note).
I learned the D minor for soloing in my lessons last year, so I should probably use it

Oh man, I LOVE D minor.

But yeah, use D minor if you're most comfortable with it, or try using the D pentatonic.

10-13
10-13
10-12
10-12
10-12
10-13

And so on with the extra notes.

If you're into metal, I'd go with D minor, but using the pentatonic scale works just as well.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
Oh man, I LOVE D minor.

But yeah, use D minor if you're most comfortable with it, or try using the D pentatonic.

10-13
10-13
10-12
10-12
10-12
10-13

And so on with the extra notes.

If you're into metal, I'd go with D minor, but using the pentatonic scale works just as well.

Thanks for the D pentatonic (haven't learned that one yet)

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker

Quote by Conehead
Thanks for the D pentatonic (haven't learned that one yet)

No problem dude. I hope it helps.
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
No problem dude. I hope it helps.

I hope so too

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker