Page 1 of 2
PLEASE READ WHAT I HAVE TO SAY BEFORE RECOMMENDING!

I'm in the market for a new tube amp. The very maximum I can go at the moment is $1000 dollars, not one penny more.

I know the first thing you guys will recommend is a used amp, but here's the problem:

I'm Canadian. My local craigslist is about as lively as the dead guinea pig buried at my side of the house. Just looking at the first page there's about 9 Piano ads. There's NEVER any good stuff on there. eBay is the next option, but the auctions end up skyrocketing, and then I get RAPED by customs and fees. The shipping quote I got for a F-30 combo from WASHINGTON to here is $350 . I keep my eye out for these used deals but none of them pan out. I was eyeing a Mark III combo that ended at $1200.

TL;DR: It's hard to find used gear that I want at good prices around here.

Alright. I'm mostly going to be playing Modern Metal (COB, Opeth etc) with this amp. I'd like me some nice thick, saturated gain. I also want versatility though. I would really like an amp that can cover many styles well, as I want to start increasing my musical horizons if you want to call it that. Pretty much good cleans and decent blues tones would be nice.

The main amp I'm looking at is the Bugera 333XL. It seems to pretty much meet all my needs and sounds great to boot. Ignore the reliability crap for now, I'm willing to take the "risk", even though all that really causes this hooplah is the stock tubes. Here's some of the 333XL stuff I've been listening to that's swayed me towards it:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dingle1 (Check out the max gain and main 333XL Clip)
http://www.myspace.com/davefromfalmouth (Start on the 2nd clip)

Please refrain from suggesting the RG50TC or the B-52 AT's, I don't really like their tone.

Suggestions, GG&A?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at Nov 29, 2008,
Wow, you seem to have the same problems I do with regard to shipping fees and customs (see my title? That's USD, not counting speakers, EQ or anything else.) I feel for you, man. Good luck.

Maybe try out a Traynor YCS50 or YCV50 BLUE? They're a Canadian brand so you'll probably be okay. Another option is driving to Washington yourself and picking something up via Craigslist there. If you ARE willing to drive there, there's an F-30 for $530 US: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/929795498.html

EDIT: Also a JCM800 + cab: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/928235701.html

Oh wow, I had no idea Washington, D. C. and Washington were entirely different places.

What city in Washington is nearest to you?

So I can maybe actually be helpful, there's a Mesa DC-3 up for grabs for $600 in Seattle: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/929308784.html
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 22, 2008,
Traynor's aren't good for modern metal at all really.

Shame, they're one of the only amps I can get cheap.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I personally do not have any problem with the reliability of Bugeras. Of course people who have one and are happy wouldn't complain. Only the complainers every say anything, and I've seen VERY few complainers here.

Not to mention they have very nice tone in my opinion... the pro guitar shop demo is fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoCTwTNvgo

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
I personally do not have any problem with the reliability of Bugeras. Of course people who have one and are happy wouldn't complain. Only the complainers every say anything, and I've seen VERY few complainers here.

Not to mention they have very nice tone in my opinion... the pro guitar shop demo is fantastic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijoCTwTNvgo

Let's not invite Bugera flaming and stick to the point. TS Seems like your sold on the 333Xl, what's keeping you from pulling the trigger?
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Nothings keeping me. I just want to see what other suggestions people have. I want to make sure I'm making the best decision
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by Raijouta
Wow, you seem to have the same problems I do with regard to shipping fees and customs (see my title? That's USD, not counting speakers, EQ or anything else.) I feel for you, man. Good luck.

Maybe try out a Traynor YCS50 or YCV50 BLUE? They're a Canadian brand so you'll probably be okay. Another option is driving to Washington yourself and picking something up via Craigslist there. If you ARE willing to drive there, there's an F-30 for $530 US: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/msg/929795498.html

EDIT: Also a JCM800 + cab: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/928235701.html

Oh, not Washington D.C, the State of Washington

Driving to D.C would take like 4 days
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by mike.h

Please refrain from suggesting the RG50TC or the B-52 AT's, I don't really like their tone.

Please read the OP
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

****, my bad, i just played a show and am very tired. If u like that bugera go for it.
No problem dude.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

If you don't need gig volumes look into a Krank Rev jr. I get a KILLER modern metal tone out of it whilst boosted with a TS9. I have nailed As I Lay Dying's tone and can get alomst anything I could want to out of it. The cleans are really nice but they are not accessable via footswitch nor do they have an eq. Krank amps are made in the USA and have better stock tubes then the Bugera's and you can put them through hell and back and they'll come back even stronger. If you want a crunch channel and modifiable cleans then go the 333xl however if modern high gain tones are all you want then the krank is better then the 333xl which I have played on numerous occasions.

If you buy the Bugera you'll need to get a re tube asap!

Just an option bro . The Bugera's totally slay for the money your paying, great versitility, loud as hell and capable of bone shattering gain. You really can't go wrong with either of the amps.

Good luck on your tone quest :p.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Thanks

The Rev Jr seems like its not as versatile as I want it to be. It indeed has a great metal tone but I'd want a bit more than that
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Bump, it's been a few days.

I'm going to see if I can order the 333XL into a local store so I can try it out myself. In the meantime, any other suggestions?

I've upped my price limit a bit. This is like the extreme boundary of my price range. Don't even think of suggesting one penny more.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Nov 26, 2008,
Unless you can find anything used for that much versatility, it looks like the Bugera 333XL is your best bet unless you want a tube combo with a lot of pedals (nothing wrong with that).
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Not really a fan of using too many pedals to get my tone, but what would you suggest if that's the case?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Well yeah, it's what I think suits me best right now. Just making sure I'm aware of all the available options
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

I've heard the YCV40 has a more "modern" tone than the YCV50Blue, so I'm gonna suggest that. This is no help of course if you've actually tried the YCV40 out yourself.
Quote by mike.h
Not really a fan of using too many pedals to get my tone, but what would you suggest if that's the case?

My Blackheart loves pedals to death, I've heard good things about the Crate V18 too, I've seen a guy on youtube play metal with it, and it had some pretty crushing palm mutes.

If I crank my Blackheart and put the overdrive or distortion in front of it I can get some early thrash style stuff. The Krank Rev. Pro Jr. is great too, get the Pro version because it has a clean EQ instead of just one for the Krank channel that effects both of them.

I used to hate pedals also, but they help a lot more then I used to think. The amount of different tones you can get is just awesome.

Are you actually going to gig or are you a bedroom metalhead?
Quote by Iceman 420
I've heard the YCV40 has a more "modern" tone than the YCV50Blue, so I'm gonna suggest that. This is no help of course if you've actually tried the YCV40 out yourself.

I really doubt a Traynor would do Metal that well. It's a fantastic amp, but I still favor a good metal tone over lighter stuff.

Quote by Mr.Camo
My Blackheart loves pedals to death, I've heard good things about the Crate V18 too, I've seen a guy on youtube play metal with it, and it had some pretty crushing palm mutes.

If I crank my Blackheart and put the overdrive or distortion in front of it I can get some early thrash style stuff. The Krank Rev. Pro Jr. is great too, get the Pro version because it has a clean EQ instead of just one for the Krank channel that effects both of them.

I used to hate pedals also, but they help a lot more then I used to think. The amount of different tones you can get is just awesome.

Are you actually going to gig or are you a bedroom metalhead?

I'm not a big fan of Blackhearts really. Same goes for the Crate V's, they're average amps to my ears.

Like I said before, the Krank has a good metal tone, but it's not much better than the Bugera's, it has less versatility, and costs more.

I might gig in the future, but for now I'm mostly bedroom. I dont have much problems cranking though, my parents don't seem to care. You dont really want power tube saturation for metal styles cause it causes sag and just doesn't sound good for the genre if that's what you're trying to get at. It's why most metal amps have high wattages.

I plan to reduce the wattage by pulling 2 powertubes and rebiasing + changing ohms to get 60 watts for better tones at lower volumes though.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Last edited by mike.h at Nov 27, 2008,
Quote by mike.h
I really doubt a Traynor would do Metal that well. It's a fantastic amp, but I still favor a good metal tone over lighter stuff.

I'm not a big fan of Blackhearts really. Same goes for the Crate V's, they're average amps to my ears.

Like I said before, the Krank has a good metal tone, but it's not much better than the Bugera's, it has less versatility, and costs more.

I might gig in the future, but for now I'm mostly bedroom. I dont have much problems cranking though, my parents don't seem to care. You dont really want power tube saturation for metal styles cause it causes sag and just doesn't sound good for the genre if that's what you're trying to get at. It's why most metal amps have high wattages.

I plan to reduce the wattage by pulling 2 powertubes and rebiasing + changing ohms to get 60 watts for better tones at lower volumes though.

Then you should be fine, just make sure that the Bugera has a warranty on it.
Yeah. I'll try and order it in over the weekend to try it out. Hopefully the place I order it into has a separate room or area for trying amps out. I hate having to demo amps in the center of the store.

cuz i r teh sux
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Get a b52 dude. No joke its a solid amp. It needs a boost with an eq for the mid-high ranges. But thats about it, its a solid amp.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Meh, personally I've always felt like the B-52 is just like an improved ValveKing in terms of tone. The same sort of tone just with better gain. Not really a fan of the B-52's. It works great for certain tones but not the ones I'm looking for.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Just wondering,

How much better would the metal tones of a 5150 be in comparison to the 333XL's? Would it be worth it to sacrifice the clean, crunch and overall versatility of the 333XL for?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Considering I own(ed) both, I can tell you they are very diferent beasts.

5150 is THE most RAW in-your-face amp I've ever owned. A cross between a Marshall and a Soldano. At low volumes fizzy. The trasnformer doesn't really kick in until you set the post past 6 - which is deathly LOUD. I had both the original block EVH model and the signature model. The tone is very close to the red line of being out of control. I think this why metal players love these amps. The resonance control is very cool. Adding as much resonant frequency as you want. I customized the footswitch to switch between clean and crunch on the clean channel. Clean channel not very clean at all, but I've heard the bias on these is usually set way too and you get crossover distortion that easily fixed by running the bias hotter. Bob at Eurotubes moded one of these and from what he says you have to hear it to believe it.

The 62xx series is much closer in rawness, however, the XL has MUCH smoother gain structure that is more 3-D. The crunch channel is very punchy and Marshal like with instant pick attack. The lead channel somewhat similar to 5150 in that there's enough gain to start WWWIII, but I think cleans up a bit nicer when pushed hard. You can still play full chords with clearity and yet get that chug chug all of us metalers love. I've only had it about 6 months or so and I'm still discovering what this is capable of. In another thread I mentioned how amazing the clean channel was when you the master past six. It is CRAZY fat sounding and HUGE...Larger than life once you add in a chorus and a delay. The onboard reverb is VERY nice as well.

You just gotta play each one of these if you can. If you just need a kinda clean channel and a superb lead channel, then the 5150 might be the way to go. If it's versatility then you might lean towards the Bugera.

Edit: Both amps are capable of some serious metal tones. In that fact you won't be dissapointed either way.

Tough call Mike.
Last edited by BeerChurch at Nov 29, 2008,
I've heard some say the 333XL sounds thin - is this true?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yeah, I'm hoping to order one in to a local store just to try it (hopefully it works out)

Any idea on how the combo is compared to the head + a cab? Will there be much of a difference in how thick/thin it sounds?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

How big of a difference is there between a head+cab in comparison to the combo in terms of thickness would you say.. does the combo sound thin?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Alright.

Hopefully the place I request the amp into has a place to test gear out.. I hate testing gear in front of everybody
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Yeah, I won't be buying it from wherever I order it into though.

They'll charge more than axemusic.com, then even if they price match, I'll still have to pay around 7% more tax (PST)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

it has to be said: Line 6 flextone III?

dont be prejudiced against it being a modeller straight away, theyre worth a look
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Get one of the Bugera heads and a 2x12 closed-back cab with Vintage 30s; it'll be much more portable, lighter, and have considerably better tone than the stock combo. Choose whichever head you prefer the tone of really.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Page 1 of 2