I've got 3 recordings on my profile, and I want to get some ideas on how to improve them.

You can just click the link in my sig if you don't feel up to moving the mouse a few centimeters to the left to click on my avatar.
Firedrill: I think you should make the solo less distorted. Other then that I like the whole vibe of the song.

For the Best: No complaints on this one, very good editing. Nice instrumental.

Beat Your Kids: Kind of has a dub feeling to it. If you're into reggae at all you could try making another song like that with some upstrokes in it.
What's up?
1st one... The guitar sounds very far away, small. Try recording it twice and panning far left and right. It needs some volume (size not sound)

2nd one... Awsome, great feel and the mix is very very well done!

3rd one... no opinion
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Sounds great, very fresh and different. No complaints here.
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Firedrill - The mixing is a little weird. The guitar's a little too quiet and sounds far away. I like where the song is going, though. Has potential to be a killer track. I enjoyed what sounded like Metalacolypse sound clips.

For the Best - Different from the other two. The acoustic guitar sounds really good. This is probably my favorite of the three.

Beat Your kids - I really liked. Strange. Different. The sound clips were quiet, though, probably a little too quiet. But it's a pretty good song.
"On this life that we call home
The years go fast
and the days go so slow...

the days go so slow
."
Firedrill - My least favourite. Strange tune, the mix is a little muddy but there are some good ideas here. 4/5

For the best - Appropriately titled imo cos it is the best of the three. Mixed well, great melodies, amazing acoustic tone and nothing feels out of place. Love the little leads. Amazing tune 5/5

Beat your kids - Love the dark, uneasy mood in this song. The cymbals are a great touch and add a lot to the emotional effect of the song. The background effects are great. Love this tune. Well done and keep it up. 5/5

Brilliant stuff overall and that is being brutally honest.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004588
"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life.Get wasted all the time, and you'll have the time of your life!" ~ Billy Connolly
Quote by HPLoveCraft

Beat Your Kids: Kind of has a dub feeling to it. If you're into reggae at all you could try making another song like that with some upstrokes in it.

Could you define a "dub" feeling?
Quote by Globocop
Firedrill - The mixing is a little weird. The guitar's a little too quiet and sounds far away. I like where the song is going, though. Has potential to be a killer track. I enjoyed what sounded like Metalacolypse sound clips.

Yep that was murderface haha.

Quote by Globocop

Beat Your kids - I really liked. Strange. Different. The sound clips were quiet, though, probably a little too quiet. But it's a pretty good song.

If you're talking about the police sound clips, I tried making them louder and it just sounds dumb. I don't want people to understand what he's saying the first time they listen to the song.
Quote by 035036503530
i agree with what everyone else has posted, the playing's good but you could work on the production a bit more

c4c?

www.myspace.com/stilettostabwounds

Your stuff would probably sound cool if the recording quality was better, but the guitar just sounds too thin and the drums break up.
Last edited by qstionauthority at Nov 27, 2008,
For some reason it wouldn't let me listen to the second song, but I'll critique the others ones:

Firedrill- This one was really corny. I was not very impressed. The guitar didn't do much in the song and overall it is fairly pointless.

Beat your kids- Honestly, this one was great. I was surprised by the quality in comparison to the previous song. The riffs are great and I love alot of the textures and sounds. How do you get that type of noise like in the opening? I've been interested in getting sounds like that.

C4C: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1001664
I'm listening to Beat Your Kids because it's such a good title.

I already realllllly like the clean guitar part. Reminds me of Opeth which is great. The distant sounds give a really creepy, yet cool feel. Cymbals add a nice touch too. Yah, this reminds me of Opeth a lot.

Firedrill is kind of... lame. I don't know. The guitar tone is wretched, and the song just goes nowhere. Sorry.

BUT, Beat Your Kids is awesome!

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006264
Quote by Gordita Supreme
I'm listening to Beat Your Kids because it's such a good title.
Firedrill is kind of... lame. I don't know. The guitar tone is wretched, and the song just goes nowhere. Sorry.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1006264

yah I have to agree. I'm going to try and redo it sometime soon, maybe add a couple more movements and take some of the current ones out. It's the earliest of my recordings, so it's time to update.