go me... my crappy marshal cab is taking a dump on me. so i am now faced with either getting a new cab to match my randall head, or replacing the speakers with something that can handle it.
1. im looking into bassoon cabinets. something that can handle 300w
2. im looking at speakers to replace the existing ones.

so far the speaker replacement is looking to be a cheaper fix. but how do i tell if its gonna equal up to 300w. i was looking in the forums for similar things and i found that you should try to match the cab with the output of the head unit. and thats the goal. so what im asking is how do i determine the output of the new speakers and do u think that it would be worth it? thanks
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
You should consider a B-52 AT412 cab. It is rated at 480 watts and will not fart out on you. They cost about $400 and I believe they are absolutley the best cab you can get under $500. I have one I play with a Rivera K-TRE. The K-TRE has massive bottom end and the B-52 handles it no prob. Chek em out.
sweet i think i might do that
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Don't replace the speakers, Marshall cabs weren't really made with Bass in mind and get a little fragile with a lot of bass; If bass is your thing. Just get rid of it and replace it with a Randall 2x12 or something, you can get a good Randall 2x12 for around $400.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
Don't replace the speakers, Marshall cabs weren't really made with Bass in mind and get a little fragile with a lot of bass; If bass is your thing. Just get rid of it and replace it with a Randall 2x12 or something, you can get a good Randall 2x12 for around $400.

Errr... 2x12 is not the way to go for strong bass. With my 4x12 I have to actually cut bass in my EQ so my bass guitarist can be heard. And it's still a bit too low for my taste...

Try out a B-52 cab. Or think about building a 4x12? If that interests you, I have a thread you should read.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Errr... 2x12 is not the way to go for strong bass. With my 4x12 I have to actually cut bass in my EQ so my bass guitarist can be heard. And it's still a bit too low for my taste...

Try out a B-52 cab. Or think about building a 4x12? If that interests you, I have a thread you should read.

You can get good bass response from a 2x12.
How exactly is your cab "taking a dump" on you? What's wrong with it?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Moe.

You can get good bass response from a 2x12.

I didn't say you couldn't get good bass response. But a 2x12 is nothing like a 4x12 in terms of bass.

MatrixClaw: He made it sound like the speakers are dying.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I didn't say you couldn't get good bass response. But a 2x12 is nothing like a 4x12 in terms of bass.

Have you heard a Marshall cab? They're just not designed with bass in mind.
Quote by Moe.

Uh... can you show me where I said they were? I'm saying 4x12's in general have "more" bass than a 2x12 will have.

The topic-started alluded to wanting a lot of bass (or that's how I read it...) So when someone recommended a 2x12, I went "Well.. that's not gonna get him a lot of bass."
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo

Speakers don't just die?

Quote by Moe.

I have a 1960 and it has one of the hugest low-ends I've ever heard with a 4x12, don't know what you're talking about
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Uh... can you show me where I said they were? I'm saying 4x12's in general have "more" bass than a 2x12 will have.

The topic-started alluded to wanting a lot of bass (or that's how I read it...) So when someone recommended a 2x12, I went "Well.. that's not gonna get him a lot of bass."

That's where you're wrong though, 2x12's give a lot of bass. Just no where near as much as a 4x12.

When will people ever learn?
Quote by Moe.
That's where you're wrong though, 2x12's give a lot of bass. Just no where near as much as a 4x12.

When will people ever learn?

We call that manipulating an argument so that you sound correct, when all you're doing is echoing someone.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by MatrixClaw

I have a 1960 and it has one of the hugest low-ends I've ever heard with a 4x12, don't know what you're talking about

Every one I've played through hasn't been able to handle the bass. They have all farted out and sounded like they were going to fall in half with the amount of bass I've used, which isn't much.
Quote by Moe.

There's plenty of 2x12s that have as much bass response as a 4x12.

I still don't see what low-end has to do with this thread in any way? The TS didn't even state anything about it in any of his posts...

Quote by Moe.
Every one I've played through hasn't been able to handle the bass. They have all farted out and sounded like they were going to fall in half with the amount of bass I've used, which isn't much.

I've used mine with a Mesa F-30, Mesa Mark IV, Mesa Road King, Splawn Nitro, Ampeg VH-140C, VHT Deliverance, VHT Sig X, Peavey 5150, Peavey JSX and a Soldano Avenger, among others, all of which have pretty big low-ends, it has handled them all flawlessly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's plenty of 2x12s that have as much bass response as a 4x12.

I still don't see what low-end has to do with this thread in any way? The TS didn't even state anything about it in any of his posts...

When I hear of a Marshall cab crapping out I jump to the conclusion of too much bass being used for the cabs, from personal experience. If that doesn't have anything to do with what the OP is talking about then sorry, but it's just what I've found in a lot of Marshall cabs.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Not joking here, but my THD 2x12 has much more low-end than any Marshall 4x12 i've had (i've owned 5)

Orange and Mesa 2x12s have more low end than the 1960a or b's
Vader 2x12? It's not made WITH more bottom end, but it's made to HANDLE more bottom end. You might need the 4x12 though, if your amp is so high powered.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by davedoom
Not joking here, but my THD 2x12 has much more low-end than any Marshall 4x12 i've had (i've owned 5)

Of course.

Both my 2x12s, especially the G-Flex, have huge low-ends that rival my Marshall's. The only reason I haven't sold my Marshall is because I like it's low-end better than most other 4x12s I've tried, but only with certain amps. When I get the Diezel this week, I'll most likely sell the 1960 and get a matching Diezel cab just to be cool
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com