I'm making notes on my text readings for my philosophy class and one of the articles is like a paragraph long, but i have NO idea what it means. Can anyone help?
Thanks pit. p.s. it has to do with animal cruelty

what other agents are there, which, at the same time that they are under influence of man's direction are susceptible of happiness? they are of two sorts. 1. other human beings who are styled persons. 2. other animals which on account of their interests having been neglected by the insensibilites of the ancient jurists, stand degraded into the class of 'things'
im gonna be honest dude, there might be someone here who can help, but this is a guitar forum, i know i sound like a dick but there MUST be a philosophy forum somewhere on the internet.
Other things beside the observer can experience happiness. These are other humans, which we consider people. People are defined as things worthy of rights. Other animals, such as chimps which can experience happiness, are considered things because of what people in the past decided.

Basically, the humans degrade other animals and dont take them into account.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
kinda mentions about the clash between ppl who hate poaching, hunting etc.
and that the animals cant do anything about it. that its all human doing
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
is it animals have been treated so bad for so long it has been bred into them to enjoy being mans subject to do serve humans and become possesions instead of having independant lives? Also try the religion and philosophy thread
Quote by Kev_ Bass Funk
is it animals have been treated so bad for so long it has been bred into them to enjoy being mans subject to do serve humans and become possesions instead of having independant lives? Also try the religion and philosophy thread

so you believe animals have independant lives?
Quote by lolmnt
ok i thought you were implying that they have minds which can make them act outside their behavior
Quote by lolmnt
Oh no. but you've got to love the idea of a dog putting on a suit and driving to work, or a squirrel with a briefcase
i would love to see a squirrel with a suitcase
Quote by lolmnt