Ok, so I slapped an SPB-3 into my 02' P-bass special, I pretty much desoldered the Fender Vintage I took out and slapped the SPB-3 into it, soldered it to the EXACT same spots the Fender pup was soldered to, sealed it up, plugged it in and... it sounded rediculously thing. Like, nothing but the bridge jazz bass, but when I killed the P-bass pickup, it got a little louder and got a little more bass to it. When I killed the Jazz and left the P, I got the big, thick, boomy quater pounder sound, but as soon as I rolled the the jazz back on, it thinned up drastically, and when I got the Jazz to full volume, it just sounded dead.

I assume it's some kind of phasing issue, but I can't figure out what I did. All the other Seymour Duncans that I've installed are white - hot, black - ground; same as the fender pups... all of the contacts are good, well wired... I was wondering if you guys have any advice on this, if you know if the SPB-3 has reverse hot-ground or something.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
it certainly sounds like a polarity issue, perhaps your other pickup is wired in reverse, or your new one is wired improperly.

if your solder joints are good i would say flip the pickup so both are in phase with each other and see if that works better.
im a blues man, but a good man, understand?
Quote by jacobtriffo
it certainly sounds like a polarity issue, perhaps your other pickup is wired in reverse, or your new one is wired improperly.

if your solder joints are good i would say flip the pickup so both are in phase with each other and see if that works better.

when you say flip... you mean phsyically flip the pup or flip the leads?
ok, so, I flipped the black and white cables and just ran into a truckload of grounding issues... this is what it originally was:
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0135700_02B/SD0135700_02BPg2.pdf
this is what I'm changing it to:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass

I don't understand how grounding the P-bass volume knob indepentantly achieves anything... from my experience, it just causes trouble.
Quote by Thomme
ok, so, I flipped the black and white cables and just ran into a truckload of grounding issues... this is what it originally was:
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0135700_02B/SD0135700_02BPg2.pdf
this is what I'm changing it to:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_p_j_bass

I don't understand how grounding the P-bass volume knob indepentantly achieves anything... from my experience, it just causes trouble.
no reason to change the entire wiring. the first wiring was fine, but the new pickup was out of phase.

you should have flipped the wiring on just one pickup, yes?
if that caused hum, maybe that pickup has the black also connected to the baseplate(s). that's the only reason i can imagine for an increase in hum from what you had before.

try connecting that one with the colours as indicated and flip the connection on the other pickup.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
no reason to change the entire wiring. the first wiring was fine, but the new pickup was out of phase.

you should have flipped the wiring on just one pickup, yes?
if that caused hum, maybe that pickup has the black also connected to the baseplate(s). that's the only reason i can imagine for an increase in hum from what you had before.

try connecting that one with the colours as indicated and flip the connection on the other pickup.

ok, so I changed to the duncan wiring setup. And flipping the black and white on the p-bass pickup has absolutely no change on the sound what-so-ever. So, I don't know what what to make of this. I'm just gonna live with it for now, since I don't really use the J bass pickup and I'm sick of soldering and unscrewing the pickgaurd again and again. Right now, the P-bass pickup is actually running hot to ground and ground to hot... and it didn't affect a thing.