Page 1 of 2
Let's assume that it's possible for a human being to craft a vehicle capable of the speed of light (i.e. 186,282.397 miles per SECOND). Now let's assume that you are traveling this fast. Now let's assume that you turn on a lamp.

My question is... would you be able to see the light from the lamp? Or, since you're traveling at the speed of light, would you be traveling too fast for the light to reach you?

Debate.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
If your vehicle claimed to be of the speed of light all the aspects such as friction and reverse force would have to be disregarded which wouldn't be the case. you'd have to exist within a vacume. So you're ideas too beyond reality to even consider a REAL answer.
you can't reach the speed of light. Sorry

(but if you live in a magic world where physics rules don't apply, yeah you would not see the light because you go faster than the light)
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
it all depends on where the lamp is when it is turned on
if it is with you, traveling the speed of light, it will travel 2 times as fast and it will decelerate slowly
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
No matter how fast u'ld be going, the speed of light is always constant. Even if u turn on a flashlight on a train that's going 100,000 m/s, it's still going to go at the constant speed (appx 3 E8).

Also, if ur interested, read a book called The Elegant Universe. It's a very interesting book regarding modern physics. i.e. black holes, time warps, relativity theory, string theory, etc...)
You aren't going faster than light, so yes, you would still see it. Love relativity.
I throw myself into the sea,
Release the wave,
Let it wash over me
To face the fears, I once believed
Tears of the Dragon, for you, and for me...
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
it all depends on where the lamp is when it is turned on
if it is with you, traveling the speed of light, it will travel 2 times as fast and it will decelerate slowly

maybe not?... speed of light is absolute
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
I dunno, but I love lamp.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by real_québécois

It travels at different rates through different materials so it also depends on WHAT substance it would be travelling through to reach said subject. (Fiber glass, plastic, water etc...)
Quote by real_québécois
No it isn't. There's no absolute reference for the speed of light.
If you were already traveling at the speed of light while the lamp (outside of the vehicle) was turned on, then no, you wouldn't see it, because the light from the lamp wouldn't ever catch up with you. If the lamp was inside the vehicle, then yes, you would see it. It all depends on the frame of reference.
Quote by banjo1735
If you were already traveling at the speed of light while the lamp was turned on, then no, you wouldn't see it, because the light from the lamp wouldn't ever catch up with you. If the lamp was inside the vehicle, then yes, you would see it. It all depends on the frame of reference.
Totally wrong.

You guys all suck at physics.
Quote by Dr. Oysterhead
If your vehicle claimed to be of the speed of light all the aspects such as friction and reverse force would have to be disregarded which wouldn't be the case. you'd have to exist within a vacume. So you're ideas too beyond reality to even consider a REAL answer.

I see you didn't pay as much attention in English as you did in physics.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by Skierinanutshel
have you accounted for the G-forces that would occur at such high speeds? assuming you are not very gradually accelerating up to speed.

this guys got it right
Quote by Hypnotisation
I cannot leave this thread alone. I cannot get over the sponsored fap. Out of curiosity, can i ask how your mum decided to pay for your fapping material? Why can't you just get it free? WHY?

Quote by Jericho114
Can you suck your own dick also?
Quote by VanCamp
I see you didn't pay as much attention in English as you did in physics.

A little intoxicated Mr. Pedantic .
light will ALWAYS travel the same speed relative to you. if you are traveling the speed of light, light still travels the speed of light faster than you.
Quote by real_québécois
you can't reach the speed of light. Sorry

(but if you live in a magic world where physics rules don't apply, yeah you would not see the light because you go faster than the light)

You're ****ing retarded! I'll kill you! He said AT "C", not faster!!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by Dr. Oysterhead
A little intoxicated Mr. Pedantic .

That's not a sentence, so you don't use punctuation. Also, what you say should now automatically be disregarded, as you are a drunk. Your family hates you.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Last edited by VanCamp at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by VanCamp
That's not a sentence, so you don't use punctuation. Also, what you say should now automatically be disregarded as you are a drunk. Your family hates you.

Aye ok cheap ass.
Quote by Dr. Oysterhead
I suck dick.

Nice.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by smb
Totally wrong.

You guys all suck at physics.

If two runners in a race, A and B, both run at the same, constant speed (lets say c), but runner A starts, say, 5m closer to the finish than runner B. Runner B will never meet runner A. Similarly, the lamp outside the vehicle will either be constantly behind or in front of the vehicle and would never touch the driver's eyes.

That's my logic.
Last edited by banjo1735 at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by banjo1735
If two runners in a race, A and B, both run at the same, constant speed (lets say c), but runner A starts, say, 5m closer to the finish than runner B. Runner B will never meet runner A.

That's my logic.
Great. Doesn't work for light though.
Quote by Dr. Oysterhead
*sigh* Kids on the pit...

That sounds like the sigh of you-just-lost-to-that-"kid"!
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Ok, one of Einstein's own examples:

"What would [Einstein] see if the streetcar was traveling at the speed of light? According to the special theory of relativity he was developing, the clock on the tower would look as if it had stopped. Meanwhile the watch in his pocket would continue to move forward."

The clock would stop because the only light that could reach his eyes would be the light emitted by the clock just before he hit the speed of light. Once he hit c, though, the light from the clock would be trailing behind him.
Quote by smb
You would see the light. Look up relativity.

This, or you can check the search bar, there was a thread about this a while ago. Someone asked "If your car were to go the speed of light, would you see the headlights?"

Pretty much, the light is being cast from the lamp which is constantly moving at the same speed as whatever vehicle the lamp is in. No matter how fast the vehicle is moving, the lamp is moving at the same speed. And no matter what speed your car is going, the lamp is still casting the same light.
Last edited by dudius at Nov 22, 2008,
Quote by smb
You would see the light. Look up relativity.

Bam. First post.
Quote by banjo1735
If two runners in a race, A and B, both run at the same, constant speed (lets say c), but runner A starts, say, 5m closer to the finish than runner B. Runner B will never meet runner A. Similarly, the lamp outside the vehicle will either be constantly behind or in front of the vehicle and would never touch the driver's eyes.

That's my logic.

Runners =/= light.
here's your answer if you were on a bus traveling 50mph an walked to the front of the bus at 5mph

reletive to the bus you are moving 5mph relative to the earth you move 55mph so....

if you moved the speed of light and turn a light on, the light is moving at double the speed of light reletive to outside of the thing you are in. but just moving at the speed of light reletive to inside the ship

but if you moved at the speed of light and out side of the ship or what ever it is, you delay by 10 seconds lets say and turn that light on pointed towards your ship(and your velocity was constant) theororetically the light will never touch your ship. as there should always be a 10 second space between you and the light
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
here's your answer if you were on a bus traveling 50mph an walked to the front of the bus at 5mph

reletive to the bus you are moving 5mph relative to the earth you move 55mph so....

if you moved the speed of light and turn a light on, the light is moving at double the speed of light reletive to outside of the thing you are in. but just moving at the speed of light reletive to inside the ship

but if you moved at the speed of light and out side of the ship or what ever it is, you delay by 10 seconds lets say and turn that light on pointed towards your ship(and your velocity was constant) theororetically the light will never touch your ship. as there should always be a 10 second space between you and the light

soo....the speed of light is a conspiracy!!
The speed of light is impossible to reach. Think about it, at a speed rate so tremendous you couldn't manoeuver and you within seconds in any direction there would be a deadly and catastrophic collision.
sorry-i-broke-my-space-bar
if-the-lamp-was-immobile-outside-of-the-car-and-you-were-going-the-speed-of-light-than-you-would-be-neck-and-neck-and-then-you-wouldnt-see-it-or-it-would-visible-just-to-the-side-but-if-it-were-on-the-car-then-it-would-be-visible-as-the-lamp-itself-is-travelling-at-the-speed-of-light-thus-making-the-light-go-past-the-car-at-twice-speed
its-a-bit-like-throwing-something-while-inside-a-moving-train-the-train-is-going-100km/h-you-throw-a-ball-down-the-train-at-90km/h-ball-actually-travels-190-but-stationary-outside-the-train-the-train-will-pass-the-ball
well-anyways-thats-my-logic

edit:damnit
Quote by jimbobolon
sorry-i-broke-my-space-bar
if-the-lamp-was-immobile-outside-of-the-car-and-you-were-going-the-speed-of-light-than-you-would-be-neck-and-neck-and-then-you-wouldnt-see-it-or-it-would-visible-just-to-the-side-but-if-it-were-on-the-car-then-it-would-be-visible-as-the-lamp-itself-is-travelling-at-the-speed-of-light-thus-making-the-light-go-past-the-car-at-twice-speed
its-a-bit-like-throwing-something-while-inside-a-moving-train-the-train-is-going-100km/h-you-throw-a-ball-down-the-train-at-90km/h-ball-actually-travels-190-but-stationary-outside-the-train-the-train-will-pass-the-ball
well-anyways-thats-my-logic

edit:damnit

You didn't mention that you also broke your enter key?
Here's an even better question; could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?
Quote by seth's daddy
Here's an even better question; could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even he couldn't eat it?

microwaves werent invented when jesus existed, so no
Page 1 of 2