Page 1 of 2
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ , calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burnt Beatles' albums in huge pyres.

But time apparently heals all wounds.

"The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a 'boast' by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll," Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' "The White Album," went on to praise the pop band.

"The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians," it said.

Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.

(Writing by Deepa Babington; editing by Keith Weir)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainment/5164873/vatican-forgives-john-lennon-jesus-quip/

About time if you ask me.
Quote by Ed Hunter
I took out a fly with my jet of piss once. I felt like God!

“This is ridiculous; my job is to sit here and do this bloo-loo-loo-loo, bloo-loo-loo-loo” - Paul Gilbert on sweep picking.
Noice.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Nice one, Vatican. You finally pulled your head out of your ass and realized that it was just an innocent little statement.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Pfft!

They were bigger than Jesus. The Vatican is just jealous.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
It appears that once again, this quote has been taken out of context. I suppose it is to be expected though, as it was little known that John Lennon was indeed a Christian. John's remarks were intended as an observation on how his generations teens idolized pop groups to the point of deification, which he disapproved(sp?) of. Instead, they were taken as a boast; it appears that the Vatican has once again forgiven something that never really needed forgiving in the first place.
this is ****ing stupid. Lennon was a genius and was not claiming the beatles were bigger than Jesus. He merely meant they were more popular than them in England which was 100% during the 60's. Vatican just now forgiving him 28 years past his death is bull****, he doesn't even need to be forgiven. I'm glad lennon made that statement along with all the other things he said about Christianity. people need to open their eyes towards organized religion, and it shows that he had the balls to say so during the 60's and 70's.
I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

Music is my religion. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by captainoid
It appears that once again, this quote has been taken out of context. I suppose it is to be expected though, as it was little known that John Lennon was indeed a Christian. John's remarks were intended as an observation on how his generations teens idolized pop groups to the point of deification, which he disapproved(sp?) of. Instead, they were taken as a boast; it appears that the Vatican has once again forgiven something that never really needed forgiving in the first place.

Look at the lyrics to Imagine
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Haha I love the Vatican. They pardoned Galileo like 5 years ago and just barely got around to forgiving John Lennon. Maybe 20 years from now they'll apologize for the Pope's comment about Islam.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by captainoid

I highly doubt he was Christian

Like the guy above me said, in Imagine, he says "No hell below us, above us only sky" and "imagine no religion"
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
lol who cares. Lennon didn't care..he only apologized because it was the best thing to do monetarily for the Beatles at the time. He wrote a song after the Beatles called "God" where he said he didn't believe in Jesus.

the Vatican can go **** itself. It is archaic and just a symbol. Their words don't matter and their forgiveness is meaningless.

Lennon and the Beatles were both bigger then Jesus will ever be.

In the words of Lennon "Christianity will vanish and shrink"

It is already happening.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
lol who cares. Lennon didn't care..he only apologized because it was the best thing to do monetarily for the Beatles at the time. He wrote a song after the Beatles called "God" where he said he didn't believe in Jesus.

the Vatican can go **** itself. It is archaic and just a symbol. Their words don't matter and their forgiveness is meaningless.

Lennon and the Beatles were both bigger then Jesus will ever be.

In the words of Lennon "Christianity will vanish and shrink"

It is already happening.

RAAAAAARRRRR

If anything, Christianity is growing. But of course, you little liberal types in NYC wouldn't understand/comprehend that sort of thing.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
RAAAAAARRRRR

If anything, Christianity is growing. But of course, you little liberal types in NYC wouldn't understand/comprehend that sort of thing.

hey....i live in NYC

but that's a stupid thing to say...since when does being a liberal mean you're atheist?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
hey....i live in NYC

but that's a stupid thing to say...since when does being a liberal mean you're atheist?

Haha I didn't say that. Hell, my mom's from NYC. My point was that living in NYC tends to give you a very isolated, one-sided view of the world, particularly the social/religious aspect. To say that Christianity is already shrinking is an idiotic statement that obviously reflects a biased cultural mindset typical of silly hardcore liberal types.
Quote by HuckIt
actually christianity is shrinking rapidly.

buddhism, islam and hinduism are actually growing the most on the world scale..along with atheism- but that is mainly due to China having 1/5 of the world population.
Quote by LedZeppelin
Haha I didn't say that. My mom's from NYC. My point was that living in NYC tends to give you a very isolated, one-sided view of the world, particularly the social/religious aspect. To say that Christianity is already shrinking is an idiotic statement that obviously reflects a biased cultural mindset typical of silly hardcore liberal types.

no matter where you live you're getting a one sided view of the world

i see your point, but i still think you're really stereotyping liberals on that one.

Quote by MeltingWaxFace
actually christianity is shrinking rapidly.

unless you can find me statistical proof...your words are just words to me.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

lol "hard core liberal types" in America would be moderate conservatives in the rest of the world. Living in America can make one believe the world is more christian than it really is.
sup?
Quote by Waterboy799

i see your point, but i still think you're really stereotyping liberals on that one.

In most countries in the developed world, church attendance among people who continue to identify themselves as Christians has been falling over the last few decades.[152] Some sources view this simply as part of a drift away from traditional membership institutions,[153] while others link it to signs of a decline in belief in the importance of religion in general.

from wiki article on christianity.

This is why it is shrinking. The developing world is mainly non-christian. The developed world is mainly christian.
Quote by Waterboy799

Yeah, but most of the people on this website are 15-year-old kids who listen to Nirvana and have never been outside of their home town for prolonged periods of time, and aren't very socially/politically/culturally aware.

I said hardcore liberals, not moderate ones. Not that hardcore conservatives are any better of course, but both groups tend to make outrageous claims, and the outrageous claim in this case happened to be one that was very liberal-esque.

Quote by ldl67
lol "hard core liberal types" in America would be moderate conservatives in the rest of the world. Living in America can make one believe the world is more christian than it really is.

I'm fully aware of this. However:

rofl. Not to mention that the fastest-growing religion in Latin America is evangelical Christianity (mostly Pentecostal), for better or for worse. I have no illusions about how much of the world is Christian, but it's a damn significant amount that is only growing, which once again goes directly against Captain Dumbass's original point that Christianity is shrinking.
Quote by HuckIt
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
In most countries in the developed world, church attendance among people who continue to identify themselves as Christians has been falling over the last few decades.[152] Some sources view this simply as part of a drift away from traditional membership institutions,[153] while others link it to signs of a decline in belief in the importance of religion in general.

from wiki article on christianity.

This is why it is shrinking. The developing world is mainly non-christian. The developed world is mainly christian.

they're still just words.

i can't believe it unless i see some statistical data showing a decline in christian belief. also, attendance isn't taken at church so how was that study conducted?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

25 years ago that chart would have had christianity closer to 50% and the rest of the religions were lower.

"Captain Dumbass"............ :eyeroll:

Sorry to offend ya Charlie Church.......

Give it 50 years that 33% will be closer to 25%. IF that.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
25 years ago that chart would have had christianity closer to 50% and the rest of the religions were lower.

"Captain Dumbass"............ :eyeroll:

Sorry to offend ya Charlie Church.......

Give it 50 years that 33% will be closer to 25%. IF that.

!!!!!!!!!

show me proof!

stop spurting out data you yourself made up please!

show me something that will make me believe you.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
!!!!!!!!!

show me proof!

stop spurting out data you yourself made up please!

show me something that will make me believe you.

And what backs up the claim that christianity is growing overall in the world?
North/South America / Europe / Australias populations are shrinking - Christian countries/continents

China/ India / Middle East / Asias populations are growing - non christian countries/continents

It is simple math really..

Not to mention the growing number of non christian immigrants that flock to christian countries each year.
Quote by kaosfire
And what backs up the claim that christianity is growing overall in the world?

did you hear me say it was?

no, i thought not.

Quote by MeltingWaxFace
America / Europe / Australias populations are shrinking - Christian countries.

China/ India / Middle East / Asias populations are growing - non christian countries

It is simple math really..

so...according to you...people in the more developed countries aren't having sex and people in less developed countries are? well that makes sense >_>

i

want

to

see

some

proof
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Last edited by Waterboy799 at Nov 22, 2008,
you know waterboy makes a point. although i don't really agree with him i'm still only seeing people write random 'facts.' cmon guys...without some evidence you're basically just creating fallacy arguments.

but yea..the vatican is pretty lame. regularly changing rules. it's not even the same religion from when it first started. (google the changes. i don't feel like doing it myself K)
The Church doesn't seem to understand the significance of timing in apologizing. At least it wasn't as embarrassing as the late apology for the Inquisition.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The Church doesn't seem to understand the significance of timing in apologizing. At least it wasn't as embarrassing as the late apology for the Inquisition.

It is the Vatican...they are old fashioned , senile senior citizens acting like it is still 1800.
Quote by Wesseem
you know waterboy makes a point. although i don't really agree with him i'm still only seeing people write random 'facts.' cmon guys...without some evidence you're basically just creating fallacy arguments.

to be fair i've never really made a "point" i've basically been in this thread begging for a shred of proof or a real statistic on certain accusations from the get go
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by LedZeppelin
Yeah, but most of the people on this website are 15-year-old kids who listen to Nirvana and have never been outside of their home town for prolonged periods of time, and aren't very socially/politically/culturally aware.

I said hardcore liberals, not moderate ones. Not that hardcore conservatives are any better of course, but both groups tend to make outrageous claims, and the outrageous claim in this case happened to be one that was very liberal-esque.

I'm fully aware of this. However:

rofl. Not to mention that the fastest-growing religion in Latin America is evangelical Christianity (mostly Pentecostal), for better or for worse. I have no illusions about how much of the world is Christian, but it's a damn significant amount that is only growing, which once again goes directly against Captain Dumbass's original point that Christianity is shrinking.

What's the difference between non-religious and athiest?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by dudetheman
Pfft!

They were bigger than Jesus. The Vatican is just jealous.

win!
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by Waterboy799
did you hear me say it was?

no, i thought not.

Then call out both damn sides.
Quote by Waterboy799
to be fair i've never really made a "point" i've basically been in this thread begging for a shred of proof or a real statistic on certain accusations from the get go

That is because there are no statistics involving the shrinking of religion. The countries where non-christian beliefs are developing are second and third world countries.

There are plenty of statistics on a countries main religious demographic and the increase or decrease in population however. Look it up. You'll find that Christian countries are shrinking in population slowly and Non-christian countries are growing rapidly.
Quote by whalepudding
What's the difference between non-religious and athiest?

you could say "non-religous" people are those who may believe in something higher than themselves (god for arguments sake)...just don't practice any of the traditions laid down by current established religions.

to put im simple terms, atheists don't believe in god at all.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

I forgive you son... Now get down there Johny...

Just joking guys . I have nothing against the church.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

It is kinda true that the Beatles are more famous than Jesus. I mean, if Christians AND Muslims like 'em... then theoretically, they are more famous than if only Christians liked them...
Quote by kaosfire
Then call out both damn sides.

i was in another conversation with the other dude concerning the use of the word "liberal" which distracted me from whatever else he said. at least he posted a chart with some evidence...none that helped his argument directly...but at least he tried. if you caught it then why didn't you call it out? why are you waiting for me to?

Quote by MeltingWaxFace
That is because there are no statistics involving the shrinking of religion. The countries where non-christian beliefs are developing are second and third world countries.

There are plenty of statistics on a countries main religious demographic and the increase or decrease in population however. Look it up. You'll find that Christian countries are shrinking in population slowly and Non-christian countries are growing rapidly.

so...you're asking me to find evidence so i can prove you right?

you'd be an amazing debater

but alright, remember that quote from wiki you gave me?

here you go, the part you left out

Quote by Wiki
With an estimated number of adherents that ranges between 1.5 billion and 2.1 billion,[141] split into around 34,000 separate denominations, Christianity is the world's largest religion. The Christian share of the world's population has stood at around 33 per cent for the last hundred years. This masks a major shift in the demographics of Christianity; large increases in the developing world (around 23,000 per day) have been accompanied by substantial declines in the developed world, mainly in Europe and North America (around 7,600 per day). It is still the predominant religion in Europe, the Americas, the Philippines, and Southern Africa. However it is declining in some areas including Oceania (Australia and New Zealand), northern Europe (including Great Britain,[145] Scandinavia and other places), France, Germany, the Canadian provinces of Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec, the western and northern portions of the United States, and parts of Asia (especially the Middle East, South Korea, Taiwan[150] and Macaus).

In most countries in the developed world, church attendance among people who continue to identify themselves as Christians has been falling over the last few decades.[152] Some sources view this simply as part of a drift away from traditional membership institutions,[153] while others link it to signs of a decline in belief in the importance of religion in general.[154]

according to this, Christianity is growing at a rate of 23,000 people per day, and declining at a rate of 7,600 per day.

so by using simple math, Wiki says Christianity is growing.
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Page 1 of 2