Poll: Is good vocal ability a matter of practice or talent?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is good vocal ability a matter of practice or talent?
Practice
53 79%
Talent
14 21%
Voters: 67.
Can the ability to sing well be trained or are you born with a good voice? Can you make a bad voice become amazing? What do you think?
It's a skill just like anything else, granted some have natural born talent, but it can be shaped like any other skill.
They credited us with the birth of that sort of heavy metal thing. Well, if that's the case, there should be an immediate abortion.

-Ginger Baker
Yes. Hence singing teachers.
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by BostonLP
It's a skill just like anything else, granted some have natural born talent, but it can be shaped like any other skill.

Final answer
Quote by archangels666
Find me someone who doesn't do that and I'll show you a man humping a hippopotamus.

Quote by Vigilantius
High chairs are for little girls. My kids eat gravel off of bare concrete.

i think almost anything in life is a matter of practice.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Yes
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
As far as power, technique and range goes, it is a skill. However, you can't really change someone's voice.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
No.

there has to be a foundation. yes you can get training and lessons and become the best singer ever, but only if you have a good starting point. not everyone can sing amazingly with lessons. some people just have ****ty voices. its not their fault.
a little bit of both, range and expression are a matter of practice but no matter how much you practice you can only affect the timbre of your voice so much and timbre is almost as important as range.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
to a certain degree....

you can teach someone a proper way to breath and all the motions that a instructor would, but there is only so much you can be taught.but there are the naturally talented who will always have some-what or an advantage over 'bad singers' trying to learn
Happiness is like peeing your pants

everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth
just like with guitar, you have to have some natural ability. the more natural ability you have, the less you'll have to train yourself.

so yes, anyone can be trained to sing well, but how much and for how long depends on your natural ability, so it's both.
you cant get a great range unless your born with it. you can practice and expand it a little but a good singing voice is mostly something your born with
I hate my sig
If you have a good voice, then training and practice can improve your range, power, vibrato, and stuff like that. But if you have a crappy voice there's only so much you can do. You really need some natural born talent to succeed at singing.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Quote by Mezzo4te
Can singing be trained? No but English can be learned.

i don't want to burst your bubble, but it should be "english can be taught".
As long as you're not tone-deaf, you can train your voice so you can sing. Probably 3/10 singers have natural talent, the other 7 have trained theirs.
Quote by dudius

afterward i thought about it and was like "wow, i just jerked off to a chubby girl sucking off a horse. i'm disgusting".

then i watched that segment again
Quote by BostonLP
My thoughts exactly.
Quote by fli.pansy

the t/s made a grammatical error hence he would not be teaching englsh, sorry to burst your bubble
Quote by fli.pansy

Nah, in that context I think "learned" works well. I can train my voice, and I can learn english, see?
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Mezzo4te
the t/s made a grammatical error hence he would not be teaching englsh, sorry to burst your bubble

i'm not saying anything about what the ts said, but more along the lines of correcting you when you say that "english can be learned". that's grammatically incorrect, and you have a lot of feelings.
Quote by zippidyduda
Nah, in that context I think "learned" works well. I can train my voice, and I can learn english, see?

this is correct.
no...."learned" and "taught" are two completely different words with completely different meanings. its not a matter of grammer. either one is correct.
I hate my sig
Quote by zippidyduda

i can learn english, is different than english can be learned.
Quote by fli.pansy

anyway!! with vocals you can change most things with a voice, and you can make someone do technical stuff, but there is a natural ability to hit and hear the right notes.
Anyone who knows anything about singing at all will tell you that it comes with practice and hard work just like any other form of musicianship. Even though there are people who are naturally more adept to it, anyone can learn it.
Quote by fli.pansy

But it depends on the context of the sentence! "English can be learned" implies the subject is the student, whereas "English can be taught" implies the subject is the teacher.

Either one is correct if used in the correct context, as they both imply different things.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by CowboyUp
Anyone who knows anything about singing at all will tell you that it comes with practice and hard work just like any other form of musicianship. Even though there are people who are naturally more adept to it, anyone can learn it.

while great singing does come from practice and all that, no amount of practice will change the shape or size of your laryx or effect the length of your throat, both of which have a substantial effect on your vocal timbre. A singer with a great range can still have a bad voice.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
while great singing does come from practice and all that, no amount of practice will change the shape or size of your laryx or effect the length of your throat, both of which have a substantial effect on your vocal timbre. A singer with a great range can still have a bad voice.

While someones range isn't always in their hands, anyone can learn to sing with good tone and to the best of their ability regardless any (normal) genetics if they have a good teacher.
Quote by CowboyUp
While someones range isn't always in their hands, anyone can learn to sing with good tone and to the best of their ability regardless any (normal) genetics if they have a good teacher.

anyone can learn to sing with ok tone good/great tone does depend somewhat on genetics.

Last.fm