Alright; so before anyone gives me any recommendations, let me say that I'm planning on testing everything I can before making my decision. So here we go.

I'm interested in a versatile tube combo amp that I can carry around relatively easily and mic up for gigs. I'm going to be playing mainly blues rock, worship music, and classic rock with a Fender Strat, and through a Fulltone OCD as an overdrive. But when I'm not playing worship or rock, I like experimenting with Metal.

As a new amp, I've been looking at The Fender Blues Junior, Peavey Classic 30, and Vox AC15. But I've heard said again and again (not so much of the Peavey) that these are NOT metal amps. Some have said that they're incapable of reaching good highly distorted tone.

So my question is this; if I were to max out that OCD with gain, and stick it in front of, say, a Blues Junior, with my Strat's S1 set to parallel, would I reach an acceptable metal tone? Or is it simply impossible on an amp of that manner?

I'm not looking for facts, I'm looking for opinions, so please do share them. Thanks in advance!
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I had a Hot Rod from Fender. It never EVER sounded metal no matter what I did. Great amp, horrid for metal.

Get a Rivera.
im sorry, but just why???

Get a blues jr. if you wanna play blues, it's not metal mate, no matter what you do with it. It's about as heavy metal as my bassman...

sorry, but thats the truth

Peavey classic will give you a good hard rock tone though, not far off?

xx

best of luck
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by Gordita Supreme
I had a Hot Rod from Fender. It never EVER sounded metal no matter what I did. Great amp, horrid for metal.

Get a Rivera.

ya my buddys got a FM212 that he plays with a dime distortion pedal. Cant put anything on my AD50VT as far as high distortion goes.

so i dont see why the AD15 wouldnt work?
The C30 can do metal with a boost.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Riveras sound good, especially on higher gain, but I worry about how it would sound compared to a Fender when it comes to blues, what's your opinion? Plus money is enough of an issue for me to have a hard time spending over $800.

But I appreciate the opinions, I guess Fender won't be my first stop for my next amp. What's ya'll's opinion on the Peavey's clean tone? Anything to write home about?
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Pretty good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Denthrare
What's ya'll's opinion on the Peavey's clean tone? Anything to write home about?

i love it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Beautiful; alright I'll be trying a Peavey out in the near future. Probably the Vox too. Thanks everyone, my primary question has been addressed and answered.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Peavey has a very bright and in your face clean, very open, not as chimey as say, a fender, but very good non-theless. The gain can easily do metal with a boost... I get great pantera sounds out of mine using my overdrive with it.
Oh! I nearly forgot; what does the GG&C think of Line 6 Spider Valve amps? (read that carefully).
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Denthrare
Oh! I nearly forgot; what does the GG&C think of Line 6 Spider Valve amps? (read that carefully).

We're GG&A, dude.

Anyways, the general consensus around here is that they're overpriced, but better than the normal Spiders.
So, they're not worth the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
0 : ) My mistake.

Alright thanks; I love amp hunting.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Quote by Denthrare
0 : ) My mistake.

Alright thanks; I love amp hunting.

it's more fun trying them
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
it's more fun trying them

Haha you misunderstand me, my friend. I intend to try amps until I run out of riffs to play. That's my idea of hunting.
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
if you're budget is 800 a used blue junior AND used 5150 combo could be done for that budget
That loser shit's right out the window!
i'd have your S1 set to series 0_o

try out a line 6 flextone, theyre pretty good as far as SS go and theyre super versatile

C30s are win though

also look at bugera they can do metal easy and the clean channels are supposed to be decent as well
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.