Hey UG,

I am currently using a Godin SD with a Smarvo 40 watts amp with 1 x 12inch speakers . The pedals I have right now are Zoom GS2 and Boss DS2 (Really beginner set-up) . The built-in distortion on the Smarvo amp sucks , it sounds muddy and not defined(?) but the clean channel is quite good . Recently I've been using the DS2 on the clean channel as the only distortion , the sound i get is a little cleaner but it sounds very thin and still muddy .

So I want to know what i can get to make my tone warmer , fuller and cleaner without getting a new amp .

I thought about either getting an ibanez tubescreamer or getting my pickups changed. What do you guys think ?
honestly a new amp will be the best thing you can do

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Nov 23, 2008,
don't buy a new amp

get a radial tonebone trimode distortion pedal and a keeley clean boost and your tone will be amazing considering you already have a really good clean channel.
You can also try, putting a EQ pedal (the cheap Danelectro fish&chips isn't half bad) in front of the distortion and boosting the mids and cutting the lows. This will clean up some of the mud and get a more defined sound. You can then boost the bass and cut some of the mids in the preamp to even out your sound. Plus when you upgrade your amp in the future, you can always use an EQ pedal for it as well.
Yea i know that a big part of good tone comes from the amp. But small wattage tube amps are very rare in Malaysia , have not come across one so far . So unless I have money to spend , getting a new amp is not an option . I cant sell the current amp too , since it was bought by my parents , they wouldnt approve it .
Radial tonebone trimode distortion pedals aren't sold here in Malaysia.... will ibanez tube screamer do the job? Its the only mainstream pedal i can think of that will give me a better overdrive.
oh yea ... ceriatone , they have small wattage tube amps.. i'll go check it out
Quote by sigur_ros6
don't buy a new amp

get a radial tonebone trimode distortion pedal and a keeley clean boost and your tone will be amazing considering you already have a really good clean channel.

That's a retarded idea - you don't buy boutique pedals when you have a cheap, no-name SS amp that cost less than the pedals do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ok I totally had no idea tube amps are that expensive ... Ceriatone is way way out of my budget .

How about , Tube screamer together with DS2 on the clean channel. How will that sound?
Not great I'd imagine, go to a shop and give it a go if you want, however you really want to be looking at getting a better amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com