Okay, wtf. I just broke my fat E string while happily whammying away. I It's not exactly broken,but the wound sorta like broke. I'll show some lousy pictures.

Sorry, it was taken with my cellphone.I wasn't even doing any divebombs, I was just gently playing with the bar.It happened to my B string like a week ago too.

Is it okay for me to just leave the E string for now? I've no spare strings and I'm going back to college tomorrow but I'll be back on Saturday. I've heard about some stories about unequal tension on the neck but I'm not too sure if it's true or not.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I never broke my string...
Always that thing happend...but u still can't play with it right?
and it happend with Ernie Ball strings so it's not the brand.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I wouldn't blame on the strings either, cuz I use elixir strings all the time and I have never broke any of them even though I dive bomb etc. So I would blame your guitar for that accident, the bridge probably
it could be just a duff string, i had em before

and the guitar should be fine without the E for a while
it shouldnt be damaging
could easily be a dodgy string. after about 4 years of using ernie balls i had a fairly new one break at the bridge a few weeks ago.

You can't really judge a brand/set of strings until you start having repeat problems with them, though - there's nothing wrong with elixir, just that particular string.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well, this is the 2nd time I'm using Elixers.The 1st set was good.Besides, I've never broken my E string before, eventhough I was quite a tremolo abuser last time.

So my guitar would be fine with the unequal tension for a week, right?I don't wanna bent neck or anything like that, haha.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Last edited by Broken-pick at Nov 23, 2008,
If Elixirs suck why are you using them?

If your breaking your wound E, your trem sucks not the strings.
Quote by Broken-pick
Well, this is the 2nd time I'm using Elixers.The 1st set was good.Besides, I've never broken my E string before, eventhough I was quite a tremolo abuser last time.

So my guitar would be fine with the unequal tension for a week, right?I don't wanna bent neck or anything like that, haha.

It's only your E string, you'll be fine.
Elixir strings are more money than they're worth, IMO. Even if they don't malfunction like that.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Elixers seem to be 50/50. When I was using them and breaking 1 a day I went and looked on the net to see if I was the only one. And I wasnt for some they work great and so are worth the money but for about half of us they break way to often. And I know "its your guitar" but all of my guitars did it. My carvin new out of the box with elixers broke one in about 10 minutes. And I rarely break GHS or ddarrios on my other guitars and only after several weeks of constant use. It was really expensive to buy 2 sets of elixers to be able to replace all the strings that broke. As I said every day a different one would break. 2 sets of elixers lasted less time than 1 set of ddarrios.
Elixer strings do suck, you should try Elixirs. They're much better.

I've been using Elixirs and Dean Markley Blue Steel strings without a single problem.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i break elixirs too. just replace them with cheap loose strings.

any brand can be hit or miss like said.

in your case, you should feel for a burr on that saddle, also like said.

and honestly, i just use them on acoustics. i'm not too fussed on their electric tones anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011