Ive been playing guitar for 7 months and im 14. I own an epiphone les paul studio and roland cube 30x. I drained my college fund for this. Nowadays im starting to regret having this. I mean the guitar is great. The sound and everything. Im just not satisfied with the features. I mean i aint that strong and the les paul is really heavy. The wine red colour doesent go well with open coil humbuckers and the open coil humbuckers dont even look nice to me. When looking at the guitar, it looks so dotty. What i mean is that all the screws, dot inlays on the fretboard and the humbucker dot things make it look ugly. Im considering in 2 to 3 years time, i sell this and get a epiphone g-400 SG. So what do you guys think?
GEAR:
Harmony H15 Bobkat
Fender MIJ '65 Reissue Mustang
Fender MIA 1987 Strat Plus
Mesa Express Plus 5:50
TC Electronic Hall Of Fame & FlashbackX4
Barber Direct Drive
Ibanez TS9 Reissue
EHX POG
Goosonique Blitzkrieg Boost
Last edited by jonoh248 at Nov 23, 2008,
dont worry about what it looks like if you like how it plays and you like the sound, especially since youve only been playing for 7months. Work on getting good at the guitar before worryin about its appearance
i can't tell your future mate...

you've got all your music tastes and shiz, and you'll probably grow from your music taste aswell...until then you'll know what you'll wanna get

young grasshoppah.
yo.

I BELIEVE
Quote by jonoh248
Ive been playing guitar for 7 months and im 14. I own an epiphone les paul studio and roland cube 30x. I drained my college fund for this. Nowadays im starting to regret having this. I mean the guitar is great. The sound and everything. Im just not satisfied with the features. I mean i aint that strong and the les paul is really heavy. The wine red colour doesent go well with open coil humbuckers and the open coil humbuckers dont even look nice to me. When looking at the guitar, it looks so dotty. What i mean is that all the screws, dot inlays on the fretboard and the humbucker dot things make it look ugly. Im considering in 2 to 3 years time, i sell this and get a epiphone g-400 SG. So what do you guys think?

I think the way it looks shouldn't concern you at all, really.

But yes, those guitars are quite heavy. Top heavy. That's why I don't like them. Keep your guitar, but think before you buy next time.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
well, I have an G-400 and I really like it. but you shouldn't care about the look of the guitar, but the way it plays. although, off course, it is cool to have an amazing looking guitar. when you want to buy a new guitar in 2 or 3 years, you probably want something better too.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Farether
well, I have an G-400 and I really like it. but you shouldn't care about the look of the guitar, but the way it plays. although, off course, it is cool to have an amazing looking guitar. when you want to buy a new guitar in 2 or 3 years, you probably want something better too.

nothing wrong with epiphones

and i didnt know they made red les paul studios; i thought it was black or a white one
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
It's probably not a good idea at the moment seeing as you've only been playing 7 months but you could always change the pickups if you want a different sound/slightly different look and you can't afford a new guitar. But keep that in mind for the future. At the moment just concentrate on learning as much as you can.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

Quote by jonoh248

you always end up not liking the look of your guitar, that dosent matter
you'll know a certain things value when its gone, i prove that on my Fender Jazzmaster. *tears* *tears*
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
For your first guitar thats not a bad one. 20 years ago I started playing on a POS fender strat wannabe(Cruise) that was missing its high E tuner key/string. Your best bet being that your just starting out is to upgrade some parts. you have a good base to start from (for a beginner) so first upgrade the pickups to say something like a emg 81/60-85, then do tuners exc,exc its cheaper then a new guitar and will allow you to save for a good one. hang out at the local music shop and play around with the Guitars there to find the one that not only sounds right but feels right its also a good idea to get to know the techs. If it don't feel good no matter how good you are or the pieces it wont sound good.
It sounds like you need to worry more about getting money in your college fund than a new guitar, considering you drained it by taking out 600 dollars
Trust me dude, it's gun b k.

It may seem a little heavy, as LPs tend to have a little weight to them. But just stick it out and maybe set a goal for yourself - once you learn something, etc or reach a year as a player (Maybe after 1 year you reward yourself, sorta thing).

Hey, you can get a part time job or something. Annoying, yes, but it will be a means to fuel your imminent GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) desires. If you're looking for something lighter the next go, the G-400 is a choice, as is a Fender Strat or other superstrat (like Ibanez, for instance). I'd say upgrade the amp before anything, but as you are quite new, it will last you a while yet.

Good luck!