Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

A few years ago, the music scene where i live used to be so good that venues used to have people lining up outside till the doors opened, and quite often the venues beacame too full and started having to turn away people because the venue reached its capacity.

But, over the course of a year or two, the turnout started to steadily decline, and now what seems like 50 people come on a good night... which is poooooooor.

I really want our music scene to revive but no one's interested anymore. It sucks.

Our scene is pretty much dead now, and i don't know how on earth we're going to revive it. Most of the venues we used have closed down or switched owners now and we have to rent out ****ty rooms in hotels or something to hold gigs which is probably why the scene started to decline.

What are your music scenes like? Anyone seeing the same thing?

Let me know!

x
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
mostly round where i live it's just pubs who hire cover acts.

but in portsmouth there's the wedgewood rooms which i think plays some good local bands, but it's too far to go of an evening to see music i might not even like.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
mostly round where i live it's just pubs who hire cover acts.

but in portsmouth there's the wedgewood rooms which i think plays some good local bands, but it's too far to go of an evening to see music i might not even like.

wedgewood is very good, i live about 3 hours away and i still go there i just check the band's myspace first
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Mine isnt.
Still going strong.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy

Quote by MetalheadforJC

I herd rap mean Retraded Attemped at Poetry

nah, its pretty cool

theres an old army barracks thing that was taken over by squatters 20 years ago and is now the main youth alternative/counterculture center in the city. Theres like 3 or 4 different venues and a gallery and some other stuff. Different music every night. From dub to black metal to drum'n'bass to punk.
http://www.metelkova.org/ <- everybody come to Ljubljana!
Exactly the same here...We played our first gig on thursday together with a pretty good and fairly well-known band and all we got were 36 people.
Some years ago there were lots of great concerts with up to 300 people coming, those were the days...
Quote by GangsterLi
wedgewood is very good, i live about 3 hours away and i still go there i just check the band's myspace first

yeh but with school and sh*t...

i should do that tho.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Locally it's crap but around Birmingham (about 40 mins drive) theres loads of local bands and bigger/more well known bands.
Originally Posted by Demon Wolf
one dream of mine is to play baroque and roll.

i dont quite know what it is, but i assume it involves plenty of harpsichord solos and medieval chanting.

No. I live in Boston.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
No. I live in Boston.

Wat, isn't there a big scene scene in Boston?
Quote by Jackolas
Wat, isn't there a big scene scene in Boston?

I said no to the question, as in "no it's not dead."

There's a huge scene in general. Lots of musical diversity as well. There is no place better.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Mine is beginning to pick up, actually. Bath used to be totally dead, aside from the odd hardcore show. But the local metal promotion company are putting on more shows than ever, even though the owner still claims we'll be getting Machine Head next week - playing to 100 blokes in a pub.

There's also a new venue built in the centre of town, it's a comedy club and concert venue - bigger than what they've got in Bristol, which is getting interest. We need to get Bill Bailey to play a hometown show, really get some interest.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Xiaoxi
I said no to the question, as in "no it's not dead."

There's a huge scene in general. Lots of musical diversity as well. There is no place better.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I do want to go there.

Quote by freddaahh
Mine is beginning to pick up, actually. Bath used to be totally dead, aside from the odd hardcore show. But the local metal promotion company are putting on more shows than ever, even though the owner still claims we'll be getting Machine Head next week - playing to 100 blokes in a pub.

There's also a new venue built in the centre of town, it's a comedy club and concert venue - bigger than what they've got in Bristol, which is getting interest. We need to get Bill Bailey to play a hometown show, really get some interest.

Bristol has a pretty good amount of places for bands and artists imho, they all seem to stop there, alot at the Colston Hall which is good. Saw Satch and Gilbert there it proper prawned.
Melbourne AUS still goin strong (y)
Lots of great Hardcore bands from around here all the time

Local scene kicks ass tbh.
The Wedge isn't all that...I prefer the venues here in Southampton.
Quote by Jackolas
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I do want to go there.

Yes. It's the bestest.

I live literally right next to the symphony hall and I have a $5 college card to see all of Boston Symphony Orchestra's shows...

There's also many performances at Berklee's performance center and music club every day.

Then there's plenty of venues in the area.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
To answer the question, it's pretty good here still. It was better a couple of years ago when everyone had more money to spend but there's still a good mix of quality local bands that can pull an audience, and there are plenty of name bands coming here. Tonight I'm seeing Gogol Bordello, tomorrow I might go to Paul Gilbert, Wednesday there's Brant Bjork (ex Kyuss and Fu Manchu).
Quote by Orbit91
There's scene kids but oddly, no scene o.o

Same here. It's like everyone decided to put on eyeliner and pants 5 sizes too small for no reason.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes. It's the bestest.

I live literally right next to the symphony hall and I have a $5 college card to see all of Boston Symphony Orchestra's shows...

There's also many performances at Berklee's performance center and music club every day.

Then there's plenty of venues in the area.

Sounds smashing!

Quote by smb
tomorrow I might go to Paul Gilbert.

You should, he is great. His new material is brilliant too.
No scene here.

I'll give you a small taste of what it's like here: I work part-time at a youthcentre sort of place where a lot of local bands use to play, about 6 months back the place was packed but just last friday when i was working there...
Three bands playing and all of them were atleast decent enough to listen to and only 19 people showed up. NINE-FRIGGIN-TEEN. I feel ashamed of even knowing of such a place as Lahti.
Quote by Chalupacabra
Same here. It's like everyone decided to put on eyeliner and pants 5 sizes too small for no reason.

If I wore pants 5 sizes too small, I'd turn into Hollowman
Quote by Jackolas
You should, he is great. His new material is brilliant too.
I'm not really a fan but I'm friends with the guys supporting and I'd like to hear their new stuff.
Quote by Jackolas

Bristol has a pretty good amount of places for bands and artists imho, they all seem to stop there, alot at the Colston Hall which is good. Saw Satch and Gilbert there it proper prawned.

I went to see Opeth in the Academy on Friday, and Bonded By Blood in the Bierkeller. Both great places, but with this new venue in Bath, we'll finally have something better than Bristol, which means band wont bypass Bath and go straight to Bristol, or .. *shudders* Cardiff.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by beer bear
No scene here.

I'll give you a small taste of what it's like here: I work part-time at a youthcentre sort of place where a lot of local bands use to play, about 6 months back the place was packed but just last friday when i was working there...
Three bands playing and all of them were atleast decent enough to listen to and only 19 people showed up. NINE-FRIGGIN-TEEN. I feel ashamed of even knowing of such a place as Lahti.

yeah man i know what you mean, it sucks.

i don't know why gigs are going downhill lately... alot of people know about them but theres just no interest

prehaps the smoking ban could partly be why our scene went down...ahh i dont know it sucks.
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
The music scene is dead, and I'm the defibrillator.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by smb
I'm not really a fan but I'm friends with the guys supporting and I'd like to hear their new stuff.

Ace, who are they? You should really go along, Paul puts on a great fun show and all his songs come off well live. His backing band is really tight as well, with great drums, keys and bass playing.

Quote by freddaahh
I went to see Opeth in the Academy on Friday, and Bonded By Blood in the Bierkeller. Both great places, but with this new venue in Bath, we'll finally have something better than Bristol, which means band wont bypass Bath and go straight to Bristol, or .. *shudders* Cardiff.

Both Bath and Bristol are good places so the more venues the better.
They're called Hellcyon. Check out their myspace...they're pretty awesome.

Edit: ok...they've changed their name and taken their songs off of myspace. Very helpful but anyway they're a great band.
Last edited by smb at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by Jackolas

Both Bath and Bristol are good places so the more venues the better.

Yeah, but I hate Bristol, and I get lost in it. So anything where Bath takes an upper hand is a win for me.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Metal/Rock in sydney in general isn't dying at all...but it isn't THE scene of sydney.

I think it's all the dance/rave/electro clubbing places that get all the crowds nowadays. I was in the city the other night and there were huge lines all the way round the block for every club of that sort, even with up to a $30 entrance/cover charge (hell i wouldn't even pay $30 for an unknown local band's gig).

The rock and metal joints still get decent crowds though (although it's pretty rare that places get packed out).
In leicester its all indie now, and i don't mean that term to describe music thats independant or are described as a 'shoegaze' band. I mean people who basically copy the artic monkeys.
We need some more punk, metal and good old hard rock bands.
Ones that aren't boring and don't suck.
where i leave it's all screamo or hookah bars with **** djs. there is not nor has there ever been a music scene where i live.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
There isn't much of a music scene here at all. Just crappy metal and emo bands.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Very little music that I enjoy, but that's just my taste. Some might say it's thriving.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
mate where i live there is a ****ty bar and a nightclub and this is no joke, most of the kids who go there are 15-16. the only place for decent music is belfast and its too far for a taxi or anything, its DEPRESSING
****ing indie music, everybody trying to be pete doherty.

metal scene full of pretentious wankers

punk exactly the same except worse because of ****ty groupies and scenesters

i have yet to experience the jazz and blues scene. I neeeed to find a good jazz/blues venue.

I'm actually considering organising my own because of the utter **** that takes over this city.
Page 1 of 2