I dont want to start any animosity about which is easier or anything, but is it easy for most people to learn bass after already knowing guitar?
i play mostly acoustic guitar, but some electric, and RHCP "Soul to Squeeze" video made me want to attempt to play acoustic or electric bass.
how will the six string help me more though?
just the fact that its more similar to the regular guitar?
Last edited by cjhabes2010 at Nov 23, 2008,
Learning to play instruments is like learning to play sports.

One of the key skills in instrument learning is to learn technique. If you look at Strictly Come Dancing(or Dancing with the Stars), sports stars usually do very well in it, this is because they've built up this skill of being able to pick up techniques quickly and correctly.

Same applies to languages and academic subjects. The skill of being able to learn is really important.

This is why when you go from guitar to bass, you'll say it's easier. Or when you go from bass to guitar. Or football to rugby, or cricket to dancing.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by cjhabes2010
how will the six string help me more though?
just the fact that its more similar to the regular guitar?

It's not more similar to an electric guitar. It has a B string below the low E, and a C string above the G. It won't help you more; it's just more unwieldy than a 4 string, MKY was just emphasizing that he made the transition from guitar to bass on a bass with an insanely large neck and very different string set up.
Ibanez Basses have slimmer faster necks more like a guitar. Many guitarists have more joy on a 5 string because of string spacing.
Quote by Hammerzeit
Ibanez Basses have slimmer faster necks more like a guitar. Many guitarists have more joy on a 5 string because of string spacing.

Guitar necks are fatter than bass necks...

P bass nut width is 1.625"
Strat nut width is 1.685"

So this notion that bass necks are wider and therefore more uncomfortable for guitarists is wrong.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Guitar necks are fatter than bass necks...

P bass nut width is 1.625"
Strat nut width is 1.685"

So this notion that bass necks are wider and therefore more uncomfortable for guitarists is wrong.

i don't know what straat your playing but i never noticed that comparing my p-bass and strat. mabye i'll have to take a closer look
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
That's an American Standard Strat vs an American Standard P bass.

Swap the P bass for a Jazz bass and the difference is much greater

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
It's the thickness of a bass neck that makes it uncomfortable for a guitarist, not the width.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
At the heel, a strat is 2 3/16", a P bass is 2 3/8".

I think this is an urban myth. If anything, it'd be the radius of the necks that guitarists would find hard.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5