Page 1 of 2
I have a roland cube 30x and a schecter omen extreme FR.. i need a more rock/metal tone.. more overdrive n distortion n whatnot. Question is, should i get a boss metal zone (mt-2)? ive been told by all my friends who have ben playin guitar for years that i's def worth it.. thoughts? im not wanting a full effects board so don't bother with that, it's either the boss metal zone pedal.. or if you have another pedal lemme know. thx.
The Metal Zone is appalling, your friends are idiots - the Cube's onboard distortion is far superior.

If it's not what you want then maybe buy an EQ pedal and see if that hepls, otherwise it's probably time for a new amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i just got the amp? how can an fx pedal like a boss metal zone be worse then onboard roland distortion?
Because the Cube has good onboard distortion and the Metal Zone is crap, simple as.

Stop worrying what your friends think and instead start learning how to use your amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i use my amp fine, i just need more kick.... what you reckon then i need an overdrive/distortion pedal of some sort.
You could always try out an MI Audio Crunch Box, everyone on here seems to big them up quite a lot, and i'm definatly getting one soon enough.
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

Rule of thumb for most is that amp distortion trumps pedal distortion every time. That is, provided you have a good amp. It's better to have a great amp with great distortion than to have a "great" distortion pedal because the amp's distortion is inadequate. I don't think there are any "great" distortion pedals, personally. If your amp's distortion is lacking, sell it to a newb who has the cash and go buy an amp with decent distortion.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
audio crunch box is the same price as the boss metal zone... except it looks like a toy id get in a happy meal.
well i realyl want just that extra punch in my rock songs i play... what to do then? im not getting a new amp this one is practically brand new.
Quote by braydz
audio crunch box is the same price as the boss metal zone... except it looks like a toy id get in a happy meal.

..And it's about ten times better.

But yeah, seems like you've set you're mind on the Metal Zone already and don't really want our advise.

So go buy it.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/subcategories.aspx?ParentId=13
do yourself a favor and check out what's on that page..
go ahead i'll wait...
ya see. roland and boss are really one in the same. so logically (although i've never compaired the 2 side by side) the distortion will sound almost the same, save minor tweaks to the eq'ing and max gain level.

If you want a DIFFERENT distortion then what your amp can do on it's own, take the advice of the bird up there and get an eq. OR get something completly different and use your amp's clean channel. Try out pedals like EH's muffs (big, little, tall, short, metal, fish, train, ooo shiny, what was i saying? .. )
Quote by braydz
i use my amp fine, i just need more kick.... what you reckon then i need an overdrive/distortion pedal of some sort.

No you don't - and you've obviously not learned how to use the amp yet...this has got nothing do do with sound, it's about you wanting something simply because your buddies have one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i haven't made my mind up... ive decided if the pedal is $140 and im not gonna hear $140 then theres no point in gtting it...
thing is i got like 150 to burn, i dont wanna save up for a big FX board or nothing.. kinda just want a pedal or something.. ideas?
TS, everyone here is right. I've got a MetalZone. I thought it wasn't too bad at first. But then a mate of mine brought over his Cube 30. While recording, take a guess at what distortion I used. The amp's built in distortion, or my metalzone?

Seriously man, if people like me who did buy the metalzone, can't persuade others to refrain from buying it, it really was just a total waste of effort and money on my part. Don't buy it
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Sell/return the amp to get $250 back and add that to your $150. 250+150=400. THat is enough to get a good amp instead of an alright practice amp. Look for used Laney AORs or used B-52 AT-112. Even a Line 6 Flextone would be a large upgrade over what you have. No distortion pedals needed.
gah!
this amp cost me like $500 (im in aus you see )
i don't really want a new amp for now... but i would like a pedal.... just something to fiddle with and get perfect sounds.. now i no some of u will say just fiddle with the amp, but i want somethign! i need to waste this money haha
well what to get then? btw my amp was $400 not $500 sorry.
Quote by braydz
i just got the amp? how can an fx pedal like a boss metal zone be worse then onboard roland distortion?

You moron, what company do you think makes the BOSS pedals?

The distortion built into the Cube is already good, switch it to the Rectifier model and fiddle with the settings.

If that's still not enough, don't get the Metal Zone, it's crap. The Metal Core pwns it.

If you have money to waste, buy something that isn't already provided with the amp... get a wah pedal and a whammy pedal or something.
Quote by braydz
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=BELX1-112
yay or nay. might trade in amp for a few hundred n save abit.. i want a 75/100watt amp so i dont gotta get another one.

NAY!Dont get the Behringer.Whats wrong with you man??There are tons of nice amplifiers.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG100G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480336
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Quote by braydz
gah!
this amp cost me like $500 (im in aus you see )
i don't really want a new amp for now... but i would like a pedal.... just something to fiddle with and get perfect sounds.. now i no some of u will say just fiddle with the amp, but i want somethign! i need to waste this money haha

How about learning to play the guitar instead?

Seriously, I give up...your amp is extremely versatile and capable of producing many different sounds, why do you want something else...stop worrying about what your friends have.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

gah fine! i won't buy new amp or nothing... i want something though .. hmm... if you were at like like near 1 year stage of gtr and had a cube 30x and a schecter guitar.. looking back.. what would you buy.
hmmm.
this blows... i want a pedal.
if i got like a randal 75w or something... would i need a overdrive pedal then like a boss or something? or not at all.... coz ill plan for a better amp with pedals now.
Quote by braydz
gah fine! i won't buy new amp or nothing... i want something though .. hmm... if you were at like like near 1 year stage of gtr and had a cube 30x and a schecter guitar.. looking back.. what would you buy.

Beer? Clothes? Video games? Books? CDs?

or blow it all on a hooker.

Why do you feel you *have* to buy something, I just don't understand that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

...you buy an amp because it sounds good and you don't need to cover up the distortion with a pedal.
why do people get amps then if you can just get good amps? i know people with mad amps + lots of pedals :S
Because they have reasons to find different tones. And probably the fact that I have a Fender Twin Reverb that only has a clean channel, the only way to get effects is to buy pedals.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by Putrefaction

That site... is AMAZING. Where has that been all my life?

Anyway...

TS, YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW PEDAL. AMP DISTORTION IS BETTER THAN PEDAL DISTORTION. LEARN HOW TO USE THE KNOBS THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310

LEARN HOW TO USE THE KNOBS THAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.

Thats what she said

Threadstarter, what is wrong with your roland cube's distortion? Its already got good tones and it had more than enough gain for almost any playing application.
Don't buy a pedal just for the sake of buying a pedal. If you really want to play with effects, grab a wah or something for fun. The cube has enough gain already so you dont really need a distortion pedal.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Page 1 of 2