So i see thier is not an autism/aspergers thread here in ug,so i made one having aspergers myself i would like to know what other people with it think about it,and how does it affect you?when were you diagnosed?do you like having it?you can answer these questions if you like or just talk about general autism/aspergers related topics,non autistic people are welcome too if you would like to know more about it feel free to ask someone in here,i'll start by saying something about the other day,so i go to doctors with my mother to see how im doing and thiers alot of people in the waiting room,thier all being quiet which then begins to make me feel like everyones staring at me,which they are probably not although i was fidgeting with my hands alot and staring at the floor more people start entering and exiting the door into the waiting room which me and my mother are sitting by,this of course draws more attention to where we are sitting also every now and then my mother would clear her throat which drew more attention over to us,i was getting increasingly paranoid as to if people were staring at me with my head stiffly nervously gazing at the floor,the doctors appointment wait was getting longer and longer until i looked up at my mother and said"can we go please you said it was at 6:00" she replied"No we have to wait" so i said as i was walking out the door unable to cope with the stress and paranoia being the main attraction everytime someone walked through the door"shes a doctor, If she cant be here on time we shouldnt have to wait". i was very angry with myself with not being able to cope just sitting in a doctors waiting room,ten minutes later my mother came over to me waiting by the car and said "if you had waited ten more minutes you wouldve been able to see her"soyeah i was kicking myself lol .Now you post some things! Thanks.
You sound more like paranoid schizophrenic than someone with apergers. Too bad it wasn't "paragraph schizophrenic".
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
The "Story of the dog in the night-time" (Or something like that)
amazing book

how realistic is that?
What I just said is a lie.
well sorry if i do but i hadnt left the house in 2 years plus being autistic like i said, So Ya'know its Kind Of Expected...
Quote by hownowbrowncow
amazing book

how realistic is that?

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time

Good book.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by esther_mouse
The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time

Good book.

Aaaah life saver!

That was driving me nuts
What I just said is a lie.
Quote by hownowbrowncow
amazing book

how realistic is that?

I've read that (I think). The one with Toby the rat?
i was diagnosed with aspergers when i was 4 (im 17 now). it really doesn't affect me anymore, but it did in grade school. not now, though. i have great grades, great friends, great hobbies, and am about to attend u of m. i overcame
Quote by flyingv91
i was diagnosed with aspergers when i was 4 (im 17 now). it really doesn't affect me anymore, but it did in grade school. not now, though. i have great grades, great friends, great hobbies, and am about to attend u of m. i overcame

good for you ,now if only i could think that way...
I cant even make a useful reply to this thread, and I wanted to
It happens a lot to me in public.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by guitardude367
well sorry if i do but i hadnt left the house in 2 years plus being autistic like i said, So Ya'know its Kind Of Expected...

It sucks that you have Asberger's(probably didn't spell it right) and all, but that seriously can't be healthy, you have to get out of the house.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
I was diagnosed with some very mild form of autism when I was 5 or so, It doesn't affect me anymore.
I have been told by a doctor that I may have aspergers.

It's really doesn't effect me too much, however, I have a tendency to hyperfocus on non-important things.
Quote by flyingv91

What is with the sudden spring of UG'ers from Minnesota that I'm just meeting? It's really cool, but you should go to MN state Mankato.... much better than U of M.

And my mentee at school has aspergers, and he's sometimes hard to deal with, but all in all he's a pretty awesome guy to hang around with.
Asperger's is very weird, some people with it are normal, others are real basket cases.
It's like that with a lot of autistic spectrum disorders.
Wow, I dont mean to sound offensive or ignorant or anything.... but I find this very interesting.... I didnt know that people with autism actually knew they had autism.
Just in case people wonder about autism or autism spectrum disorders and cba to google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum_disorder
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
I did one of these online tests which scaled from 1 to 100 with 50 as the 'get a diagnosis' point. I came out with 37 but everyone else in the house was in the 70's or already had a diagnosis. That makes me sort of ASD friendly I reckon.
And seeing as this is a guitarists forum, does anyone else feel that the most likely musos to be on the spectrum are drummers? (I'll probably get flamed for that but its just an observation.)

Brian

This is a great site
Last edited by Lurcher at Nov 23, 2008,
Aspergers isn't that bad really. I have it interconnected with some other things and yeah, it is a part of who I am by quite the degree, but I don't really care

Not many people know I have it, but some do, and those who accept it notice it all the time. I a friend who will instantly add 'jokes!' on the end of every sarcastic statement she makes before I react just so I know she's not being literal

It's not bad, I barely notice it. People will notice it, but won't think much more of it than me being me. It's all fine and dandy.
Last edited by Craigo at Nov 23, 2008,
I'm 21 and was diagnosed with Asperger's 2 months ago. When the doctor first told me I thought she was completely out of her mind: me? a disorder within the Autism spectrum? Immediately after the appointment, however, I began reading into it and have found that I fit it to a T. It really explains a mountain of questions I had about myself, why I freak out around people, why I have difficulty making friends, why I don't really get what people are trying to "hint" to me (I guess would be the way to explain it) in social situations. I don't know, since knowing I've been aware of myself and my actions within social events and feel I have improved.

It's not just the social difficulty, however. Throughout my life I have always had periods where I've developed a strong focus for subjects (music, Spanish, writing, web-design) that is so strong that it takes my focus away from school and such. But, meh, I just hope to make some good friends and hopefully a great girlfriend soon, really.
Quote by Paquijón
I'm 21 and was diagnosed with Asperger's 2 months ago. When the doctor first told me I thought she was completely out of her mind: me? a disorder within the Autism spectrum? Immediately after the appointment, however, I began reading into it and have found that I fit it to a T. It really explains a mountain of questions I had about myself, why I freak out around people, why I have difficulty making friends, why I don't really get what people are trying to "hint" to me (I guess would be the way to explain it) in social situations. I don't know, since knowing I've been aware of myself and my actions within social events and feel I have improved.

It's not just the social difficulty, however. Throughout my life I have always had periods where I've developed a strong focus for subjects (music, Spanish, writing, web-design) that is so strong that it takes my focus away from school and such. But, meh, I just hope to make some good friends and hopefully a great girlfriend soon, really.

yeah i focus too much on things,like the other day i made a thread about my music taste going because before i posted i didnt realise i was thinking too much while listening i find it hard to just feel sometimes its like im trapped in my mind, for my own safety i get hurt easy but still life goes on and next year i plan on toughing it out and going to college ill just have to try and avoid people
One of my best friends was diagnosed with asperger's awhile ago. It explains a lot, but it hasn't changed anything. I dont' think it really changes anything unless you let it.

My mom works in special education and with a lot of kids who have aspergers and such (not to generalize special ed or people with aspergers). A lot of the kids I've worked with through her (usually in elementary or middle school) are pretty cool. Usually really really smart, nice, good natured people. I also work at a youth scout camp, and one of the kids in my patrol had aspergers. He had a little social trouble but was a really great kid.
think left and think right
and
think low and think high
Oh the
THINKS you can think up
if only you try
~Dr Seuss

MUSIC can lift us out of depression
or move us to tears-
it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear.
~O. Sacks
Sometimes I wonder if I have Aspergers or something, but it doesn't affect my life too much. Well, life sucked when I was a kid up until I was about 12 or 13, and after that I kind of came to know myself and how to deal with being awkward in social situations and such.

I think Ill look into it one day just to see if I actually have it, but I have no real problems with it nowadays.

Do any of you find yourselves memorizing random strings of numbers and crap? I know pi to like 20 numbers without ever studying it
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
One of the kids in my class has it. It's REALLY hard to understand him when he talks and he has a tendency to talk a lot. He also always thinks he's right. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with aspergers or not but it's kind of annoying. I do feel kind of sorry for him though. He's a senior and the only kids he really hangs out with are freshmen and middle schoolers. Not exactly what you'd call a normal life I guess.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
One of the kids in my class has it. It's REALLY hard to understand him when he talks and he has a tendency to talk a lot. He also always thinks he's right. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with aspergers or not but it's kind of annoying. I do feel kind of sorry for him though. He's a senior and the only kids he really hangs out with are freshmen and middle schoolers. Not exactly what you'd call a normal life I guess.

yeah he probably hangs out with them because autistic brains are a bit behind others of thier age group so they feel more comfortable talking to younger people.