Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now.
I was wondering, what should I be able to do and know at this point. I know it depends on the pace Im going, but just a general idea.
Any ideas?
I've been for playing 6 months too!

I can play "Holy Wars, Orion, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Killing In the name of, Wake Up, Ziggy Stardust, All right now, Stockholm Syndrome, Symphony of destruction. I know some other riffs and solos and scales too.

What songs can you play?
Quote by exect4500
it varies from person to person bro.

i know but what can the average player play?
Well, you should be able to PLAY the guitar, most people give up in their 1st month, play basic chords and maybe properly fret some single notes...

But don't make those your goals. Make it your goal to play whatever you want to play, whether it's from tabs or your own riffs and licks.

And please, listen to what you're playing. Some people don't listen to their playing and end up thinking that their playing is clean, when it's not. I'm not directing this to anyone, it just happens to some.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by paulseagull08
i know but what can the average player play?

There's no way to say, it all depends on what the person wants to learn and do with their playing
ohai little sig.
It really varies based on what you've been doing, i mean someone who's a huge metalhead will probably be a little better than someone whose been playing blink-182/green day for 6 months. Also like some people spend a lot of time on theory and scales and others don't spend any time at all. Id say after about six months (where I am now) should should know a few songs all the way through and be able to play them well, be able to use most basic skills to an extent, and have song basic theory (scales, fretboard knowledge, some chord construction background). That's if you've been going at it with a fairly well rounded approach. Some people who focus all on shredding and the like are already sweeping very well, etc. It kind of depends on how youve been spending your time
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Does it matter?

If you are happy with where you are, then that's it. That's all you need.
You are going to get a lot of mixed answers in this very vague question man. I personally think it really depends on your "natural" ability. I, myself, just took up guitar about a year ago. I don't have the natural ability. I dont think my ear is trained all that well either. Some people can pick up a guitar and within a few months know a hell of a lot more than I.
I have had no professional training, aka lessons. I try to watch people on Youtube teach lessons on various things. I have a ton of literature and still I long to take lessons. Being a single dad with bills, makes it hard to incorporate the money, and the time, into that though.
As far as what you should know, maybe you should list some things you can do and perhaps you can get better comments on others opinions. Expect constructive, and destructive, criticism though. People are asses about there superior skills in a lot of cases.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.
I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it." -- Barack Obama

''Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' -- John Wayne
You should know at least basic chords, power chords and a few techniques like bending or palm muting.
i ve bin playin for 8 months
nd i can tap
play chords
tremelo pik
culd divebomb then totalled whammy bar
shred slightly or to some people random wankery
pinchs
hammer ons
pull offs
bends
trills
slides
and more but thats just me
but it depends on what you want to learn
some people focus on the basics
some learn basics easy and go on to hard stuff
it just depends
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by ginjaninja
Does it matter?

If you are happy with where you are, then that's it. That's all you need.

But that's the thing. Most guitarists aren't happy where they are (hell, I'm not). They want to do more things and play more things. Even guitar masters aren't happy where they're at. They might love playing what they made, but they still want to do more.

Actually, now that I think about it, you should be able to keep on learning after 6 months, because the more you want to play guitar, the more you know, the more skilled you are, and the better you can listen.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Nov 23, 2008,
Quote by padgea7x
i ve bin playin for 8 months
nd i can tap
play chords
tremelo pik
culd divebomb then totalled whammy bar
shred slightly or to some people random wankery
pinchs
hammer ons
pull offs
bends
trills
slides
and more but thats just me
but it depends on what you want to learn
some people focus on the basics
some learn basics easy and go on to hard stuff
it just depends

im proberbly at your level
i can do pretty much all of them techniques to a good level
Quote by paulseagull08
Hey guys, I've been playing guitar for about 6 months now.
I was wondering, what should I be able to do and know at this point. I know it depends on the pace Im going, but just a general idea.
Any ideas?

There's no point asking how good you should be. Everyone learns at different levels, and everyone is good at different things. Work on the things your good at, but work on the things you need to learn more. Maybe get a teacher if you're really stuck.

There's nothing that you should be able, and there's nothing that you shouldn't be what your doing. If ya get me. Don't worry about what you think you should be doing, just play.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by paulseagull08
im proberbly at your level
i can do pretty much all of them techniques to a good level

yay i think its bout 6 months actually
wait how much months has it been from april/june ?
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
yeah i agree. levels dont matter.
the only thing you should honestly be able to do after six months is pick the strings and press down a fret. if you can do that your advancing quite fast.

but i do believe it depends on your gear a bit. i had an old ibanez gio. sucky guitar right? i played like ****.
got my esp ltd ex350 (yeah i like to flaunt that ****)
and i played like a genius. i do like up down tremelo picking and just all around the fretboard and ive been playing since like june
i have been playing for 6 months now, and i dont know any full songs at all yet, is that bad? i kinda havent even tried to learn a full song yet, im just jamming loads of riffs all the time ^^
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard