So to get to the point, my parents are bribing me to move with them to another country, if i go with i'll get to go to a better university, if i'll stay i get my own appartment close to all of my freinds. the catch is if i move with them i get my own guitar room worth up to around 10.000 Eur. So i decided to think about it (moving next summer). Apart from a new guitar and amp (~2000), a bass plus amp (~1000-1500) and a drumset (~1000), what other essential equipment should i get, recording stuff, microphones, mixers etc.., got around 5000-6000 to spend, keep in mind i would like to start a band and do some small gigs
sm 57 and 58 mics (around 5 of each makes 1k)
mixing board (1k)
Pa system (lets go with 1k)
(More guitars and amps)
Quote by GeneralGrim
So we had a music battle, copying what each other did and upping the ante and whatnot. After awhile of going nowhere, I said to the pianist "let's see you do this, asshole" played a single note... and bent it up a step. And left.
lucky you!

make sure you get a decent interface you can plug into a computer and record directly to the computer.
Quote by bi-ah!
this is UG
of course they're going to say
0H it'5 @ jAcK50l\l!??!?!
iT i5 TeH p\/\/naG3!!!

but yeah its fine
is a regular cheap pc with a decent sound card ok, or should i get some better audio-based computer?
Hey Skywalker, I don't know much about studio equipment but I would like to say something about university. It's your future, if you can go to a better university then do it. You can always make some new friends at your school, it's not hard just find out where the people hang out. Plus musicians are everywhere at the university level, I'm sure you'll find some cool guys to jam with, in your new music room =). However one thing I do have to say, living with one's parents can be difficult. It's up to you man.

Good Luck

P.S. Don't forget about soundproofing materials like acoustic foam, don't want to piss off your parents and neighbors with loud music!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
Hey Skywalker, I don't know much about studio equipment but I would like to say something about university. It's your future, if you can go to a better university then do it. You can always make some new friends at your school, it's not hard just find out where the people hang out. Plus musicians are everywhere at the university level, I'm sure you'll find some cool guys to jam with, in your new music room =). However one thing I do have to say, living with one's parents can be difficult. It's up to you man.

Good Luck

P.S. Don't forget about soundproofing materials like acoustic foam, don't want to piss off your parents and neighbors with loud music!

thanks fot the advice!
Drum mics, High quality cables (mogami or something of the like), sound proofing, a nice computer, an interface, a mixing board, soundproofing, pro tools or something like that, and some nice monitors for mixing. You should be able to spend that cash easily.
Sig What?
for the recording stuff, forget the mixing desk, its completely redundant in modern studio stituations.

you will need:
-a computer, best specs possible, ideally Quad-Core with 4Gb Ram and a large Hard-Drive running at 7200rpm
-an interface (USB or Firewire) with at least 8 symultanious inputs, something like a Presonus Firepod.
-mics, a good set of drum mics plus an SM57 and an SM58 (theres no way you'll need 5 of each), plus a large-diaphragm condenser like a Rode NT1A would be enough.
-stands, cables, etc
-software, its possible to get great results with Shareware/Freeware. REAPER is probably the best DAW i've seen, its free but it easily matches up to commercial software. otherwise, Cubase is good. forget pro-tools, period. the only pro-tools set up worth anything is Pro-Tools HD, which is only really for the high-end pro studio environment. Pro-Tools LE and Pro-Tools M-Powered suck, violently, forget them.

for more info and guidance head over to the Riffs And Recordings forum on here.
wow thx for the detailed info.
Is a keyboard necessary to record? or is it only if you want ambient noises or to reproduce other instruments you don't have. What i mean is, is it worth to get one just for the recording part.
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Skywalker007
wow thx for the detailed info.
Is a keyboard necessary to record? or is it only if you want ambient noises or to reproduce other instruments you don't have. What i mean is, is it worth to get one just for the recording part.

you can get a keyboard controller for fairly cheap and use software synths if you ever want to mess around with some synthy/other instrument sounds (like around $300ish unless you want 88 full size weighted keys)
programs like Reason are amaazing these days, you can make it sound like anything
Quote by Highwaytohell
do what the Driller said and also get an ENGL SE

Werd.

and ya, a USB midi keyboard like the M-Audio Axiom series would be cool, pair it up with some bangin' freeware synths and your sorted.

actually, if theres room in the budget, get a Neumann U87, seriously ****in cool mic. make sure ya buy the shockmount with it though.
Quote by Skywalker007
Apart from a new guitar and amp (~2000), a bass plus amp (~1000-1500) and a drumset (~1000), what other essential equipment should i get, recording stuff, microphones, mixers etc.., got around 5000-6000 to spend, keep in mind i would like to start a band and do some small gigs

For recording and gigs, you should have a good Firewire mixer combination. I'd recommend that over a straightforward interface out of convenience, and since they're designed to take a few knocks. Mackie's Onyx 1640 and the Presonus Studio Live (the latter's new but from a reliable brand) will give you good sound and will separate out tracks in your digital audio workstation (you could really get a good live album this way).

As for amplifiers and speakers, there's Crown and JBL. If it's a small gig, a pair of JBL EOS actives or Mackie SRM450V2 will be sufficient.

That should handle most of the live requirements. With SM57s, RE20s, or MD421s you can get a good guitar or bass amp tone (and male vocals too) without a problem and use them in the studio without a hitch. I'd hold back on buying Neumanns with just 5000 Euros...especially if you are just starting to record. You'd need the rest of your equipment to match up first, and the room treated.

Obviously you'll need good recording software...Cubase 4 (Studio or Full) is arguably the best for recording. You should have good 3rd Party plugins: Universal Audio (UAD2 has gotten nothing but rave reviews), SSL (their EQs and Compressors are famous), and Waves are the top brands.

I can't make bass or guitar recommendations since I don't know what exactly you want to play (shred, classic rock) and what you want in the instrument. Personally, I love ESP LTDs...though I have heard organ-shifting bass tones from an Ibanez SRX and a Trace Elliot. Also, most bass is directly injected, so you may want to get a good preamp instead (Tech21/Sansamp is the most popular brand) that can easily record out, then get a separate amplifier and cabinet to do it live.

Finally, get some monitors for the room. These are speakers that let you figure out what's in the mix. You'll probably want two sets...Mackie, Auratone (as a secondary), JBL, Event, KRK, Genelac, Yamaha and Fostex make good ones.

Oh, and Tweak's Guide is a must-read.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Nov 24, 2008,
i feel sorry for your friends
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
that is an awesome bribe! screw friends!
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by roarinflames
i feel sorry for your friends

me 2, but well if the choice is to spend a year or two with friends, or having a better shot at a future career (gonna study medicine) the latter is the smartest choice, even if it will be hard at first, but hey, they will be only 5-6 hours of driving away ( yes, Europe really is small). So I'll still see them a few times a year.
████████
████████
████████
Quote by Fast_Fingers
I'd hold back on buying Neumanns with just 5000 Euros...especially if you are just starting to record. You'd need the rest of your equipment to match up first, and the room treated.

That's probably a good idea. I mean, like WTH 5000 FOR A MICROPHONE? Seriously. unless your a famous rockstar, do you really need one? some 200-300 Eur mics maybe cheaper and and have slightly less quality, but the price-quality ratio is still much better, isn't it?
████████
████████
████████
In studio recording, it's all about diminishing returns in terms of cost and quality. Anyway, I doubt you really would want a condenser at the moment since you want stuff for live and you're going off mixer (instead of dedicated or console) preamps, which don't make the most out of high end microphones.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Acoustic foam won't necessarily help the sound level outside of the room, but it will do wonders for the acoustics in the room. Actual "sound proofing" is best achieved with air and lead, there are several good websites on how to effectively build a sound proof room.

Regarding microphones, most of the time you can get away fine with an SM57 and a Sennheiser e609 for your guitar mics. I would step into at least a Beta 58A for the main vocal mic. With drum mics, most of the home studio guys around here are using Audix Fusion mics with a D6 for the kick and getting good results. For the bass, everyone I know is running direct into a Tech21 SansAmp and then straight into the board.

The general mentality is that using decent mics and a great recording interface will yield better results with less effort than using great mics and a decent recording interface.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You'll have no problem making friends who are musicians if you have a set up like that
Kinda finished my list:
-Synyster Gates Custom Schecter white with gold stripes (i'm a huge A7X fan)
-Ibanez MTM2 or a seven stringed Ibanez (to play slipknot and similars)
-Schecter C5-5string bass
-Some bass amp, probably the line 6 lowdown 300pro or 400pro
-7-piece drum set by PDP or Pearl, with probably Paiste Alpha cymbals
-Shure sm58+mixer and speakers for vocals
-Drum mics: one for bass, 2 sm57 for snare and two overhead mics
-New PC with dual monitors and a Presonus Firebox with 8 inputs
-An acoustic-electric guitar (not too expensive, just to record a few songs)
-Digitech Whammy 4
-tuner, noise gates, straps, straplocks, etc.

If anyone has a good reason why I shouldn't buy one of these and something else instead, let me know. My dad is kinda hesitating now I've made my list and has seen the total price, but I think I can convince him once he sees how much i'm suffering by learning german in less than a month to get into the university
Now it's just a matter of finding all of this in Europe (not always the biggets choice of guitars, mainly only the very basic) and to find bandmembers next year.
████████
████████
████████