View poll results: Epiphone...
Makes good basses.
6 7%
Is just another brand.
29 33%
Makes bad basses.
52 60%
Voters: 87.
Here's your chance to make your point. Vote in the poll, and then clearly state why you think the Epiphone brand is good or bad. Make it strong technical descriptions if possible, and perhaps even link some outside evidence.

There are two rules that, though can't be enforced, I would like you all to follow so this thread may be useful:
  • Clearly state your point so that others may follow, and perhaps agree. If the only reason you hate Epiphone is because you don't like how it's spelled or something useless like that... we don't want to hear it.
  • as always, be respectful of your fellow forum goers. Even if you disagree, chances are there's something you don't know. So no flaming!
Last edited by K.I.A. at Nov 23, 2008,
epiphone sell to the kids because like the sg shape because of the guitar or the look of the tbird there quality control is horribe and are extrmely overpriced for what you are paying for
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
i wouldn't say bad basses, but i don't really like them. the thunder bird is a tad top heavy, and i think you can do better for your money
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Might aswell splash out for A Gibson, much better quality and worth the price tag if you like the style.
well i cant go all tech in why i like them. but i saved up and bought a lespaul goth studio like 2 years ago wen i started playing and its been a great guitar. iv played a **** load of shows with it where i throw it around and slam dance with it and it still playes like i dream.
all i no about the guitar is its a solid mahogany neck and body. alnico humbuckers. play relly good and unlike most epiphones has a relly sick metal tone. it can handle down tuning and everything in between. the reason im saying this is because ive herd alot about epi`s being made from **** materials and alot of peope saying there is no way to get a good heavy tone with relly heavy distortion. well i play alot of stuff but emmure and bands that us super down tuned (drop A). my band uses that kinda tuning and i can say that epis can fur sure take them.

even tho im rockin a ltd ec 1000 now i still rock the epi goth
They're just another brand really. I have a Thunderbird, and a Les Paul Junior guitar. They're both decent enough instruments but not without their flaws, such as dead frets and dodgy bridges. They sound good though, and if you like Gibsons purely for the looks then getting an Epiphone is the only way to go really.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I really hate the spelling of "Epiphone". I have no respect for UGers who say otherwise.
Quote by TJ1991
They're just another brand really. I have a Thunderbird, and a Les Paul Junior guitar. They're both decent enough instruments but not without their flaws, such as dead frets and dodgy bridges. They sound good though, and if you like Gibsons purely for the looks then getting an Epiphone is the only way to go really.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no bass at any level should have dead frets as a flaw.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no bass at any level should have dead frets as a flaw.

I agree entirely, it's absolutely ridiculous. I've managed to get it sorted now but the fact it was like that in the first place was insane.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
Quote by ongbakkneedrop
well i cant go all tech in why i like them. but i saved up and bought a lespaul goth studio like 2 years ago wen i started playing and its been a great guitar. iv played a **** load of shows with it where i throw it around and slam dance with it and it still playes like i dream.
all i no about the guitar is its a solid mahogany neck and body. alnico humbuckers. play relly good and unlike most epiphones has a relly sick metal tone. it can handle down tuning and everything in between. the reason im saying this is because ive herd alot about epi`s being made from **** materials and alot of peope saying there is no way to get a good heavy tone with relly heavy distortion. well i play alot of stuff but emmure and bands that us super down tuned (drop A). my band uses that kinda tuning and i can say that epis can fur sure take them.

Are you talking about bass? Because it doesn't sound like it.
i have a Les Paul bass and I absolutely love it, more so than my Fender Jazz Bass, but I hate Epiphone SG basses, they feel terrible to me and The Thunderbird is of ridiculous proportions, so I can't say the whole brand is wonderful, but I will die defending the Les Paul Bass.
Quote by Jsmlw
i have a Les Paul bass and I absolutely love it, more so than my Fender Jazz Bass, but I hate Epiphone SG basses, they feel terrible to me and The Thunderbird is of ridiculous proportions, so I can't say the whole brand is wonderful, but I will die defending the Les Paul Bass.

Really? You'd die? So what makes it so special?
Quote by K.I.A.
Really? You'd die? So what makes it so special?

It feels great, Looks wonderful, and has an awesome, deep, rich, full sound with a little muddiness that I think only adds to its uniqueness. Also, there is almost no buzz and It was less that $250
Because Epiphone use a mixture of cheaper parts the quality can vary between each Bass, So try out the Guitar itself first in a shop and buy it from the shop.
Gear:

Vintage V940 Active
Ashdown Perfect 10
Line6 Toneport UX1
Acousitca Mixcraft 3.1

XBL GT: EdwardThornly
PSN ID: InfertileShrew

The True story to Jesus
I've got an Epiphone Accu-bass, the old P-bass knockoff, and aside from the electronics, I find it's a better bass than the standard fender mexicans. String thru-body, tilted headstock... that's about the only thing's it's got over them mexis.

concerning their Thunderbirds, Les Paul basses and SG Basses, they're all nice, just not awesome basses. The Gibsons are far superior, but that's like saying that the American Fenders are superior to the Squiers. They play and sound ok, but lack upgradeability.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by smb
I really hate the spelling of "Epiphone". I have no respect for UGers who say otherwise.
Are you aware that Epiphone was once a top name in it's own right? It hasn't always been the downmarket Gibson version of the Fender Squier series.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Are you aware that Epiphone was once a top name in it's own right? It hasn't always been the downmarket Gibson version of the Fender Squier series.

Lol, he was just joking around. Did you catch the first posting rule I listed?

So, not to speak for him... but I think he does.
Quote by Thomme
I've got an Epiphone Accu-bass, the old P-bass knockoff, and aside from the electronics, I find it's a better bass than the standard fender mexicans. String thru-body, tilted headstock... that's about the only thing's it's got over them mexis.

best post takeover Epiphone bass, IMO.
they make good looking basses.

but the designs are very flawed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Epiphone does make some decent instruments. I can't speak for the guitars but they make a nice well built mandolin. I own one.

The problem with Epi basses is two fold. One, as the economic alternative to Gibson they inherit Gibson's habit of taking designs that work on guitars (to an extent) and translate them into basses, where they don't. Neck dive and poor weight distribution are two factors.

The other is poor Q/A and poor electronics, and many times impossibly high action straight from the factor. Three point bridges that tend to pop off during play. F holes that have paint drips into the body. My Epi Accubass had a perpetual hum that was due to poor pickups and wiring and an action that was high. From talking to other AccuBass owners, it wasn't unusual. Its fixable and a great bass otherwise, but that was the best that Epi has produced in the bass line.
Generally speaking Epiphone makes poorly constructed basses using conceptually flawed guitar-derived designs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Epiphone...meh. The Tbird is ok as a novelty piece, but beyond that, as a serious bass manufacturer, meh. That's probably why long and mcquaede have a showroom full of gibson/epiphone guitars, but NOT so much on the bass side!
The only good bass i've seen come from epiphone is that semi hollow one, i think it was called a riveoli or something. But other then that generally they are poorly constructed, flawed in design and sound very muddy.
Quote by anarkee
Epiphone does make some decent instruments. I can't speak for the guitars but they make a nice well built mandolin. I own one.

those mandos are actually built in the same factory and by the same people as Fender mandos, Rogue mandos and the Rondo Music mandos. So, I can vouch that they make a nice mando, but you can get the same ones for cheaper from rogue or rondo.

In anycase, I've been seeing the same issues coming up for epi basses: ergonomics.

I've had two epi basses and loved them, but they were fender designed, so, it's not as fair a comparison. I've played a lot of epi basses in stores, though, like the EB0, EB3, Thunderbird, the Violin bass, the Les Paul basses, the Rivioli II bass. I liked them all. They were all solid basses, well built and sounded pretty decent. The only one I didn't particularly like was the violin bass, it felt cheap and sounded cheap.

The problems that come up are mostly balance issues. Epiphone basses based on Gibby designs tend to be very neck heavy, but I don't personally see them as a problem, as I don't often let go of the bass' neck while play... I don't know about others, though. In terms of build quality, they are very nice. In terms of tone, they're so-so (but that's what upgrade pickups are for) and in terms of feel (comfort), it's generally pretty poor due to the balance issues. I don't know about their new line, I think they're called embassy basses, but most of their basses: I can vouch for.
I might be looking into a Rondo F-style mandolin... their $700 f-style mandolin kicks ass.

EDIT: No dice, and I've no interest in a laminated spruce-topped A-style mandolin.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 24, 2008,
Hmm, slightly related question; does anyone else pronounce it 'e-pif-o-nee' rather than 'epi-fone' ? Every guitarist i meet flames me up for it..
Quote by the humanity
You will be the High Lowlord's High Lowlife!

Ibanez EDB 550
Laney RB6
It's not Epiphany, and neither is Epifani. Epiphone is Ep-if-phone and Epiphani is Epee-FAH-nee. Pronouncing it Epiphany is like pronouncing the instrument and the fish the same.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i dont like gibson basses at all. i like their guitars, but not their basses. and as such, i do not like epi's basses either. just the same mud of the gibson basses, but not as expensive, and not as well made. so yeah.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
The minute epiphone make a good looking, well designed bass I will buy it (non reverse thunderbird doesn't count, I wasn't yet born).
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by ongbakkneedrop

Wrong forum, friend.
Quote by thefitz
I might be looking into a Rondo F-style mandolin... their $700 f-style mandolin kicks ass.

EDIT: No dice, and I've no interest in a laminated spruce-topped A-style mandolin.

aren't most mandolins and arch-tops made out of laminates?
Any bass that as a bridge which can pop off mid performance is not worth the risk.

On a side note, anyone see the new Gibby Nikki Sixx sig?

-Neck thru
-center neck area is Walnut and Mahogany, wings are solid AA flamed maple (YAY)
-Satin Finish
-Ceramic pickups
-20 frets (not like you could reach the 21st fret anyway)
-satin nitro finish

Get this. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 1 killswitch. WHY?! Why do you even HAVE 2 pickups if you can't switch them?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Imagine a reverse T-Bird like that with a contoured body like a Spector/Warwick... I mean if you're going to rip off a Jazzmaster, might as well go all the way...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by kranoscorp
Get this. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 1 killswitch. WHY?! Why do you even HAVE 2 pickups if you can't switch them?

Hahahahahaha.... ahhh...

BAAAAhahahaha!

You know, I've always held the belief that a killswitch is more important than pickup blend anyway. On a bass.

Also, I play drums with one tom and one crash.

Also, I like falling out of very tall trees.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.