Yeah ive been playing guitar for about a year now. i havent taken any lessons or anything, i just taught myself im pretty good, but my problem is my skill is way past having an ibanez starter guitar package with a small little ibanez gta15r amp. Im looking for a new guitar and an amp as well as some pedals. Im trying to get that stuff for christmas but ive realized its pretty expensive. i just want to know what you guys think is a pretty good guitar and amp for not an insane price. Im into metal mostly, i come up with my own riffs alot that are pretty cool, but just to give you an idea of what im into, i play alot of system of a down type stuff. I also play some riffs from iron maiden, and just alot of other bands i like. Im just wondering what would be a good guitar and amp to get for not alot of money. i just want to know what you guys think. thanks
Give some more info.
Budget?
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Go to the guitar and amp forum. They can tell you everything.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Well maybe get a schecter hellraiser tempest and a Marshall 100DFX or 50 DFX and get a boss MT-2
id say my budget for a guitar is about 300 dollars and budget for an amp about 100 and id say like 100 dollars for pedals
Quote by maidenrules524
id say my budget for a guitar is about 300 dollars and budget for an amp about 100 and id say like 100 dollars for pedals
Gibson SG 400? Pretty good for all round rock. Theres some good schecters for about 300 though.

For an amp I'd say a microcube or a voxDA5. That's all I can think of that's decent for under 100.

Theres a couple of good boss or roland pedals you can get second hand for about 100.
100 dollars is not gonna cut it for an amp. For 300 bucks however, u can get a decent guitar.

My ibanez costed me only 250 bucks. First hand.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
100 dollars is not gonna cut it for an amp. For 300 bucks however, u can get a decent guitar.

My ibanez costed me only 250 bucks. First hand.

+1

You're not going to get a worthwhile amp until you get a lot closer to $200
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
+1

You're not going to get a worthwhile amp until you get a lot closer to $200

Ye; and my guitar is a mystery. it's full mahogany, split coils, good neck, deep sound. Only the humbuckers lack a little in output and clarity, they are about the same as the other ibanez stock pups. And my sustain is insaneeeeeeee, it's almost as heavy as a les paul.

It's a mystery why my guitar is listed so cheap, it's very weird. It's more like a 500 bucks guitar.

All my recordings are true cheap korg fx unit, but on an amp it scream better. Yet my laney is still broken grrrrrrr.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 23, 2008,
Just want to point out, amps are worth, what, 80 to 90 percent of the tone? Get a good amp, a reasonable (playable) guitar. If you have 500 dollars to spend, keep your ibanez guitar (it's ibanez, it couldnt be that bad) and spend it all on a decent amp.
Quote by demonofthenight
Just want to point out, amps are worth, what, 80 to 90 percent of the tone? Get a good amp, a reasonable (playable) guitar. If you have 500 dollars to spend, keep your ibanez guitar (it's ibanez, it couldnt be that bad) and spend it all on a decent amp.

Hmm ye I have mixed feelings about that 1.

I think u can learn better on a good guitar, cause you get better stuff to work with. Amp gives the best tone, but u learn to play better guitar on a better guitar.

And I have played the starter guitars. I could barely get a tone out of them, they are so not good.

I mean if i can't get a good timbre out of it, aka dynamics didn't came out on the guitar, because of ****ty wood and pickups that could easily be replaced by kitchen magnets LOL. Then you can't learn dynamics on it either. Unless you can imagine how a good guitar would respond, but that's too far fetched.

At least on a good guitar and cheap amp, you can still hear dynamics, Though the sound sounds ****.

Aka vids on youtube of good guitarplayers (Gilbert and Lukather etc.) playing on **** amps but their own guitar, and still sound like them, only with a ****ty tone.

Overall an amp gives a better sound. But a better guitar will help more in getting a more personal timbre and charateristic guitar playing.

+ if u plug ur good guitar in a good amp, you suddenly feel like a tone monster, but if u plug ur ibanez starter in a 50 watt tube amp, the feedback and possible intonation would kill everyone.

**** = poo

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Nov 23, 2008,
Yeah, I'd post in the electric guitars forum and see what they have to say.

But honestly, you need to come up with about 200.00 extra. Here's the basic problem (and this will cost you thousands of dollars in later life) - it's a waste to have a nice guitar and play it through a crappy amp. It's equally a waste to play a crappy guitar through a nice amp. Basically, I'm thinking 300 for the guitar, 250-300 for the amp, about 85 for the pedal (Boss Metal Zone is nice if you like metal). If this means waiting a little while past Christmas to get the money in place, then it will be worth it compared to spending less now and wanting to upgrade again soon after. Also, head down to guitar center and try some guitars/amps out to start getting an idea of what you want, so you can figure out a more specific amount of money you'll need.
Last edited by se012101 at Nov 23, 2008,