hi UGers i am aftera bit of advice on what bass to have next, so if you could help that would be great

i am going to collage next year and need a better bass for thenbut i need a versitile one as i will be playing lots of types of music but i am also looking for one which will be especially good in metal / rock genres as i play that type of music in my own time.

the bass will be priced around three hundred - four hundred pounds

thank you for your help and hope you reply soon
ibanez atk300, i want one, but i got a sterling before I learned about them
In that price range, Ibanez is your best bet. But if you can, look around for a Spector Legend. Maybe even a used Rebop if your extremely lucky.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
say if i was spending up to five hundred how about fenders

thanks so far but i already have an ibanez so would like to change brand
What about a Fender Jazz Bass or P-Bass?

Jazz Bass has a thinner neck and punchier sound thanks to its two ceramic, single-coil pickups.
P-Bass has a standard(?) neck and rounder sound thanks to a single AlNiCo Humbucking pickup.

Personally I prefer the Jazz Bass.

EDIT: If you're willing to stretch, the Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special is the nicest bass I have ever played. It's got a Jazz Bass and P-Bass pickup, Jazz Bass neck, P-Bass body and active electronics.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Nov 23, 2008,
A highway one would do you good.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by JMcG92

Jazz Bass has a thinner neck and punchier sound thanks to its two ceramic, single-coil pickups.
P-Bass has a standard(?) neck and rounder sound thanks to a single AlNiCo Humbucking pickup.

EDIT: If you're willing to stretch, the Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special is the nicest bass I have ever played. It's got a Jazz Bass and P-Bass pickup, Jazz Bass neck, P-Bass body and active electronics.

A jazz punchier than a P? Are you sure?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by JMcG92

I have that. It's amazing.

I bought it used for $400, but new i think it goes for about $700.
Quote by fleajr_1412

that was my thought humbucker>singlecoils for punchier sound
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Im still going to say go for the jazz. It will diffently suit rock and then you can work your amp for metal. Just cause it doesnt look metaly doesnt mean it doesnt have a good metal sound. Plus its really versatile. If you can get one secong hand get a fender active jazz bass 24. Best bass in its price range.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fleajr_1412

Yup
Bass HB gives a round sound for rock, bass single gives a punchy sound for slap (from my experience)

¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Quote by JMcG92
Yup
Bass HB gives a round sound for rock, bass single gives a punchy sound for slap (from my experience)

I'm not so sure about that. Jazz pickups are punchy, for sure; I'll give you that. If you try telling me a jazz pickup has more punch than something active (an EMG or something similar), I would have to disagree. The EMG's may be more sterile, but they will have more punch.

TS, I would suggest a Schecter Stiletto (the highest-priced one you can afford). The craftsmanship and quality of them (for their price) is just about unbeatable. Ibanez is another good bet. Look into their SR, SRX, and ATK series. All should do very well for metal and rock.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm not so sure about that. Jazz pickups are punchy, for sure; I'll give you that. If you try telling me a jazz pickup has more punch than something active (an EMG or something similar), I would have to disagree. The EMG's may be more sterile, but they will have more punch.

Yes but the sterility of active pickups on guitars, particularly EMGs is a major turnoff for me. Strangely, though, I rather active pickups on a bass. Tightens up the sound phenomenally.

Quote by JMcG92
Yes but the sterility of active pickups on guitars, particularly EMGs is a major turnoff for me. Strangely, though, I rather active pickups on a bass. Tightens up the sound phenomenally.

I agree. On guitar I would much rather have a hot set of passive pickups, but on bass, active is the way to go.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Your41Plague12
I agree. On guitar I would much rather have a hot set of passive pickups, but on bass, active is the way to go.

A hot set of AlNiCo pickups?

Quote by JMcG92
A hot set of AlNiCo pickups?

I'm not sure why you keep typing it like that, but it bothers me. Anyway, either alnico or ceramic, depending on the type of music.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
I'm not sure why you keep typing it like that, but it bothers me. Anyway, either alnico or ceramic, depending on the type of music.

Proper spelling. It's actually a chemical formula.

Al = Aluminium
Ni = Nickel
Co = Cobalt

Lern2Chemistry

Quote by JMcG92
Proper spelling. It's actually a chemical formula.

Al = Aluminium
Ni = Nickel
Co = Cobalt

Lern2Chemistry

I haven't taken chemistry in so long, sorry for that. If I would have known it was a chemical formula I would have known what it stood for, I've just never seen it spelled like that. Excuse my lack of knowledge. I just thought you were another one of those typical "HxC kids" typing things like that because it looked cool
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
I haven't taken chemistry in so long, sorry for that. If I would have known it was a chemical formula I would have known what it stood for, I've just never seen it spelled like that. Excuse my lack of knowledge. I just thought you were another one of those typical "HxC kids" typing things like that because it looked cool

Haha, looking back it looks a little like that I guess.

Not that it isn't fun to spell it like that though; AlNiCoAlNiCoAlNiCoAlNiCo...

EDIT: The second quote in your sig, I've never laughed so hard at music theory lol